1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My baby's gone...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Scott_R, May 18, 2008.

1. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Last Monday morning, I went out to my Prius and put my hand on the door handle.
    Nothing happened.
    I checked my pocket, assuming if I'd left my keys inside. Nope; they were there. Why wasn't it opening? I pulled the key out of the fob and opened the door up.

Mud on the floor. Oh, crap.

I live near the water on Long Island, and there had been an unpredicted tidal floor; the water level topped the bottom of the door sill. The car started, but the Nav system was fried.

Alerted insurance, brought the car to the dealer. Verdict from the insurer two days later: totaled.

Cleaned the car out Thursday, giving it one last pat as I walked away. Oh, the horror.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry to hear about your Prius.

Maybe your next vehicle should be a Jeep Wrangler with extra-large tires? Since the Wrangler is (in principle) designed for you to be able to hose out the floor, it might be less susceptible to flooding...

3. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Are you planning on getting another Prius?

4. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Yep. Already have a search out for another. Haven't gotten a number from my insurance co; hope they don't screw me over (but hey, isn't that the defining characteristic of the insurance industry?).

Even the adjuster said that my car (had) looked perfect, so....

5. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Im so sorry about that Scott. It must be terrible to lose such a fine car. It's like family I know. Mine is only a couple of months old but is already won a place in my family and heart.

I hope you are able to get back what you lost.

6. pyccku

pyccku Happy Prius Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What an undignified end to a great car! At least f it looked bad, it would be understandable.

I've never really been attached to any of my cars. But I would be truly sad if I had to give up Louise. She's the first car I've really cared about.

7. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Scott -- MOVE TO HIGHER GROUND!

With rising sea levels it will only get worse.

8. Marvinh

Marvinh Marvin

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi Scott. Its Marvin from the LI Prius Owner's group. Bummer :( But I hope to see you back soon with your replacement Prius :rolleyes:

See 'ya! - Marvin

9. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hope that you are lucky and find the Prius that you want. You plan on getting the same color or going for something different?

10. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm going to go for the same color, but can I get it? I don't have a car now, so I can't be too choosy.

11. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Holy cow. How much higher does the water have to get before its in your house?

12. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it still drivable?

13. Keri

Keri New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My condolences to you. I hope you are able to find another soon.

14. Qlara

Qlara New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wow, but there're no warning signs of "Possibly Flood" in where you park?
    Or is it even a parking lot supposingly?

Prius is not a low vehicle (compare to sportier car), if water can get inside then the pool is really deep.....But yea, sea water (salt water) is a sure way to kill a car quickly, esp for a car full of electronics. Good luck on the new one!

15. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    If you live near the water on Long Island, periodic flooding is a fact of life. I had a friend when I was in high school who lived a half block from Oyster Bay. Whenever the full moon coincided a certain way with the high tide, they had to empty everything out of their basement because they knew it was going to flood.

Fortunately my grandfather built our house on a hill so our house is safe.

16. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This was at home; I've had flooding in the past--once a year, maybe--but always with some warning. This time, nada; there wasn't even a storm (high winds can do it) but though there was rain, it wasn't anything special.

17. Qlara

Qlara New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If that's the case, how can you avoid the same thing from happening to your new Prius again? Maybe always park on the high ground only?

18. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    So did the water rise and fall overnight? Any idea how long it takes to flood that much and then recede?

I'm guessing this had something to do with the storm that passed through last Sunday/Monday. I drove from Long Island back to VA on Sunday night and for me it started raining in South Jersey and was pretty bad by the time I was mid-way through Maryland. There were lots of problems with flooded roads around the DC area on Monday morning and some homes damaged by floods and a giant sinkhole in Maryland. But then we also had flood warnings from the National Weather Service in this area and offhand I don't remember anything like that on Long Island when I was there.

Are you on the south shore or the north shore? I hope your home was not damaged.

19. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The flooding they generally predict is different than what I have to worry about. Most often, they talk about flooding from heavy rain. I, on the other hand, have to worry about freak tides; rain is often purely coincidental. Aside from a hurricane or nor'easter, the freak tides are rarely a problem--at least, rarely a danger to a car parked at home. When it happens, it can be mere hours between "oh, it's just puddling from rain" and "holy crap! where's the ark?" There had been no signs to cause worry by the time it got dark, and the next AM, it merely looked like heavy rain had hit (it had). It was only after realizing I had trouble, well after the fact, that I saw the tide mark on the surrounding landscape.

There have been times in the past that we've had high tides where I've had to move the car; unfortunately, I don't really have a good place to regularly park it where it would be safe. This is the first time I've ever had to make a flood claim for a car and I've parked a car in the same spot for 10+ years.

Still, I'm not sure what I'm going to do at this point re: parking. Of course, that I don't have a car now delays an answer.

20. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, got the compensation check from the insurer; not counting sales tax or my deductible, I'm getting back 97% of the purchase price (on an '06 purchased in July 2006)