1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My baby's lips got ripped off

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by defrankond, Jan 3, 2015.

1. defrankond

defrankond Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    was involved in a car accident today. A 17 year old was recklessly driving cutting me off. I avoided him once but he got me the second time. The cops didn't even site him for reckless driving even though he was cutting and carving through traffic and nearly ran me off the road. He wasn't signaling lane changes and when he hit me his truck did a 90 degree turn with his back bumper clipping my front end.

Attached Files:

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    His back bumper clipping your front end? What did the cop write down?

Didn't you just get this car?

#2 JC91006, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  3. defrankond

defrankond Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Cop wrote down "illegal lane change". The other cop on scene did not agree with that decision. He wanted to charge for reckless driving since he was cutting traffic off and caused a accident during unsafe driving conditions. And yes his back bumper is what did the damage. But I did notice one thing.. Those Chevrolet avalanches are not very stable during accidents. Him clipping the front of my car nearly caused him to roll his. I have been driving since I was 8 and recently have only been involved in two accidents. There are a lot of careless drivers anymore.

4. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    so you did a pit maneuver on the Avalanche? You've been driving since 8? So you're telling the world that you've been driving illegally for at least 8 years? If not, North Dakota issues driving permits to 8 year olds? Note to self, never go to North Dakota.

5. defrankond

defrankond Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    no i grew up in a rural community with farms. people were able to drive then. this is not California, laws are different all over the country. and no i did not do a pit maneuver on him however that would have probably taught him a valuable lesson. i was more concerned on saving a life and reducing damage to my car. the way he carved into my lane is what caused him to loose total control of his vehicle. he yanked his wheel hard over right the angle that he hit me i am surprised it did not do more damage or set off air bags. had i not slammed on my brakes and veered right the damage probably would have been much more substantial and he probably would have killed someone in the process. conditions of the roads were ice, with 60 below zero wind chills, 50mph winds and the vehicles around were mini vans and a mini cooper all of which narrowly avoided the accident. he was cutting people off all along 13th ave by darting in front of them running them off the road. he was cited for reckless driving and performing a improper lane change like i said earlier. i am sure my car can be fixed.

6. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I have noticed that also. Seen at least three off the road on their sides and one upside down. Some sort of unstable length to width ratio? Center of gravity too high? I happened to notice all still had the 30 day temporary license plate. I guess the vehicle is appropriately named ...

Jonny Zero and defrankond like this.
  7. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I knew someone would comment about driving at 8. ;) Too many don't know what it's like to grow up on a farm where driving a tractor, or even a truck, as soon as you can reach the pedals is normal. One thing though is that in your original post, you stated that they did not cite him for reckless driving, so which is it? Sounds like he was showing off by driving too fast for the conditions and was impatient because others weren't, always an accident just waiting to happen. If he wasn't cited, he should have been. Sorry your ride was damaged, but it can be fixed, lucky no one was injured.

fotomoto likes this.
  8. defrankond

defrankond Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The official police report the one on file with the insurance company states reckless driving and improper lane change. The copy that the officer handed me states Improper lane change. ND has a weird system now. Before everything was hand written on a transfer paper and now it is just a small print out on plastic paper like a traffic ticket with most of the information

9. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I live in a Chicago suburb. The things that I have seen here that the police would not issue tickets is unbelievable. There certainly are a lot of careless drivers. They seem to be getting worse by the minute.

defrankond likes this.
  10. situationalawareness

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    It's the same here in Phoenix. People are buying bigger vehicles and driving as if you're afraid of them now and you'll just pull a wall-e and dig underground to get away from them. It's came pretty close to extreme devastation many times.

11. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Man that sucks.

12. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Crazy drivers everywhere. We just went hands-free on January 1st. Let's see if it helps. (Doubt it)

13. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The drivers who most need to comply with this law are also the ones most likely to ignore it.

Okinawa likes this.
  14. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Quilty as charged.

Actually, I was about 11 or 12 when I first started driving tractors on the farm. At 13, I delivered a breeched calf by pulling it out of the mother with a rope around its legs and my dad's chevy manual transmission truck. To this day, I'm still amazed at my early skills modulating the clutch and being trusted to do it but really it was a matter of physics since I would have been way to light to hold the cow and my dad drive. We called the calf "truckie". LOL

Priformee likes this.
  15. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Nice memory, Doug.

16. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Which inevitably reminds me of this old Toyota New Zealand commercial:

PartsNinja, fotomoto and sfv41901 like this.
  17. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    It sucks that some people drive that way, but even if they didn't people make mistakes. It's just a car, and it looks like it can be easily fixed. A new front bumper cover and drivers side fender should do it, and both will have to be painted. Be happy nobody was injured, and remember, the young are "invincible" and inexperienced. They tend to take silly chances. Hope he learned something in this incident. Sounds like his insurance will teach him. ;)

18. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    .[/QUOTE]
    I live in a Chicago suburb. The things that I have seen here that the police would not issue tickets is unbelievable. There certainly are a lot of careless drivers. They seem to be getting worse by the minute.[/QUOTE]
    Driving skills are the lowest I have ever seen in my lifetime.......(n)

19. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I suspect the Avalanche was riding on underinflated tires, aggravating the situation.

20. defrankond

defrankond Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    a update to this whole mess. after a week and two days of progressive trying to get ahold of their insured and several lies later they finally ruled that they ARE responsible for the repairs to my car. however, i believe and so does the toyota dealership that something has been jarred loose in my transmission due to the fact that it is acting like a normal transmission does when it is failing IE slippage type feeling. in any event it goes in on monday for repairs and i am sure that i will be without it for a couple weeks while they fix the body work and damage due to back log of jobs.

i do have a question though. progressive states that they use non oem and used parts when repairing vehicles to offer the lowest possible repair costs. has anyone else experienced this and does the repairs come with warranty? i know my car is only 5 years old but using used and non oem parts on a precision instrument seems to be asking for trouble...