1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

my back speakers just stopped working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Gino Veltri, Nov 1, 2023.

1. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    no idea what caused it but those are the wires i tap into to run my subwoofer. so i took apart my whole sub system before i realized it was the rear speakers signal that was shot. not the speakers themselves (because my subs don’t work either). i’m still getting 7 volts when i put either wire on positive and the negative to the frame…should that be closer to 12 volts? i looked at some fuses (and lost the one labeled “amp”) but no obvious difference. could wiring just “go bad” , on both sides at once? is that a head unit failure?

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is this an aftermarket Sub-woofer? If so I'd say it wasn't installed correctly... Your sub should have a separate circuit coming out of the amp that's not part of the rear speaker circuit.

3. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    i mean it’s all aftermarket but i had to tap into the audio somehow, right? i just didn’t tap into directly behind the head unit. so i took the door speaker wires put them through a line out converter (to get rca) to a bass reconstruction device (looks like a small amp) to an amp (of unknown strength) out to my subwoofer. It’s spontaneously started working again , so problem solved but mystery remains

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Next time it acts up consider running RCA outs on your head unit to your amps... Getting your RCA signal from the speaker wires is likely going to continue to be problematic.