1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My battery died! Did that injure it ?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by PriusNeckBeard, Oct 11, 2016.

1. PriusNeckBeard

PriusNeckBeard Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I left my flashers on all day.
    Came back to the car....flashers still going, but it wouldn't start.

Fwiw, there was faint color to the starter button, tge little lights on the doors along the bottom that come on only when door is open worked...but nothing else.

Jumped the car, it came right back to life.

Kinda seemed like it didn't hold its next charge during driving as long as expected. But, smooth sailing from there, I guess. I think it was 44 or 46 mpg on100 miles of freeway right after that. I don't hypermile, just drive it.

Did I hurt the battery ?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes. you likely will be fine for now, but every drain shortens the life span.

3. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well it's three, the 12v died, you can charge it once a week or replace it with one that will last four years that you don't have to charge once a week.

4. PriusNeckBeard

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Ah, ok, so I actually killed the 12v, not the MG. Interesting, didn't know that.

I don't think I'm so worried about then. It's three years old any way;it's near the end of its life any way, from what I hear.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what is an mg? what are you talking about? all you can damage is the 12v by leaving a light on.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Or your relationship with Tom Bodett as that is usually his job:).

Montgomery and bisco like this.
  7. Peeto

Peeto Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My wife forget to turn off lights inside the car for few days. We have to jump start the car, as it was dead. After this, I just keep regular driving as before/short drives once per 3-4 days - I did not change battery, I did not charge battery/. It was in early December, we had no problem after jump start at all... even today morning was -32 degrees celsius and car start on first attempt/it was like, every second car here was not able to start today at all/. Very reliable car! STrong winter is no problem for prius.

8. Peeto

Peeto Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    u probably did not even hurt your 12V battery ;) ... and can continue drive to their full life cycle /5yrs app/

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Three years old, run down to the point a jump start is needed, with no further intervention I'd say you're not ok. It's likely running on empty. Run down, and left thus, batteries go south fast.

Immediate intervention with a smart charger session, and subsequently watching it's at-rest voltage closely, periodically recharging, it may last you a while longer, say another year. Otherwise I would start researching new batteries.

Peeto and Raytheeagle like this.
  10. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    +1 (y)

11. Peeto

Peeto Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Let me check than, price+labour at my local toyota dealer, I will pass info here. So I will be ready, when battery time will come /I do not have recharger/

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Peeto

Peeto Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Would this be all right, please? Nabíjačka autobatérií - Štvrtok, 12.01. - Lidl Slovenská republika Can I also jump start with it? price is quite low. Or do prius needs different, some special battery charger?

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's difficult to say with the language barrier, but some words I recognize that sounds good, loosely translating: microprocessor, 4 program, desulphating, max 3.8 amps.

For reference, I'm using a couple of (North American available) CTEK chargers, the Multi US 3300 and 4.3. Here is link to the international site, where you can pick your country (Slovakia), see what's available:

www.ctek.com

I think the MXS 5.0, shown here:

www.ctek.com

5 amp is a little high, but I think ok. The chargers are smart, ie: not necessarily using the full amperage.

Peeto likes this.
  14. Peeto

Peeto Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks, I will buy it and check. I am suspicious, as my car is already 5+ years old /2011/ that previous owner already changed battery once, otherwise I should have probably more problems with it already?

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If the battery is over 5 years old I would just replace it. Consider it like an oil change: it has done it's job. It may serve you fine for another year, but it really becomes a gamble. At the least make your decision as to what the replacement would be, and ensure it's readily available.

Our situation is somewhat atypical: sometime the car will sit for 2~3 days without use. And then the use could be a short trip for groceries, perhaps not that helpful in charging.

Periodically the car does get an extended run, but they could be infrequent. What I'll do, if the car was driven the previous day, but won't be driven today, is hook up my charger, let it run through it's program, then just leave it connected. It uses very little current, and won't overcharge, just maintains.

But yeah, I replaced the battery about 16 months back, on the second battery now. The first battery I retained, and periodically recharge, as much as an experiment as anything. I've tested it with an electronic load tester: it's not in the best of health, a bit below the rated Cold Cranking Amps, but holds charge ok.

#15 Mendel Leisk, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  16. PriusNeckBeard

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Agreed about the gamble issue.

If you don't replace a battery and get a fifth year of service out is it, then in rough terms:

If a Prius can be counted on to last 16 years, that's 3-4 replace batteries! (every 4 years).

Do that every 5 years instead, that's 3 New batteries. So, yeah, you save $200, mostly at the end of the car's life..

However!, during the final year of each battery's life (during year 4, 8, 12, and 16) your car may need a tow to a dealership because you can't jump a dead 12v (can you?). It's needed to start the MG's, I'm told.

That's actually kind of serious, imo. What if your battery dies at night? How would you replace a 12v battery then?

Where I live, I'd have to find out if Wal-Mart stocks these. But remember, the Prius requires a very specific (won't leak in a crash) 12v.

Also, the OEM battery and also the Optima seem to be the preferred batteries (on this board). So you might get sick with a lesser battery.

I guess it's a simple matter of checking local stores that stay open all night to see what they stock.

I guess one could have a dead car towed there, and figure out how to get into the trunk. I think you can take apart a portion of the rear hatch *from the inside* to do that.

I believe all this hassle us why people are conservative about replacing batteries early.

Mendel. Do I have this right?

Thx

#16 PriusNeckBeard, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    Peeto and Mendel Leisk like this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah. Have a plan, ie: windowshop your battery, know the price, where you can get it. Or even simpler, jump the gun a bit. :)

18. Peeto

Peeto Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    yes, guys, thanks. I already asked my friend at local toyota dealer/he is cheff of service team/ to give me price + labour or I will ask another one, who can do this not in toyota but in his garage, but have access to purchasing prices of toyota.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. PriusNeckBeard

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Yep, that's my plan.

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you take care of the battery, it will last. I just changed mine out for the first time. It's 7.5 years old (Aug 2009 build car) with 128,000km. You could tell it's running a bit low (the headlights light up more noticeably between IG-ON and READY mode) but it still held a charge because I can leave the headlights on and they won't dim after 30 seconds. (My lights-off delay is 30 seconds). Changed it pre-emptively to avoid a no-start situation.

If the battery is dead, there is a manual release for the hatchback so that you can open the hatch and access the battery. (basically, get the false floor out of the way and there's a small black tab towards the rear bumper built within the large black underfloor bin. Remove the small tab/cover and feel around for a short metal release. Lift up and push up on the hatch. It helps to have someone else on the outside to help lift the hatch).