1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My bluetooth won't stay connected

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by dpham, Jun 28, 2013.

1. 14T shelley

14T shelley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The "roving tech" thinks that it has something to do with 4.1.2 but is not sure. My wife will be at the dealership again on Fri. We are trying to talk Toyota into paying for a new phone or at least pick up a % of the cost. (we still have a year left on the phones burdensome contract) but we (and the dealership) do not know what phone will work seamlessly with all the advertised features of the car and we don't want a phone without a guarantee of performance. We wouldn't be so annoyed but be checked the owners manual and the website before purchase and were assured that the phone we had would be compatible with several features...HA :(

2. Dianne Farrior

Dianne Farrior Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    After my fourth trip to the dealership to dealership in 10 days of ownership, I sent the following e-mail to Toyota and the service manager.

"My car made another two day trip to Sandy Springs Toyota. They tried two iphones and three droids and could not get the droids to work. So the conclusion was that my phone would not work with the car. I told them yesterday that that was unacceptable. I did a lot of research when I purchased my car and made sure that my phone was compatible with the entune system. I spoke to the Service Manager yesterday when I picked up my vehicle and he is also looking into it. My phone is a Motorola Droid 4, OS version 4.1.2 and I use Verizon. Last night I did my own study and found that my friend's phone, a Samsung running 4.1.2 on verizon worked with the car and my phone works unless I download the phone book or try to hook up the internet part. Again that is not acceptable since I wanted to use the voice commands and the internet apps. I spoke to motorola support and they had me clear the cache in the phone, but that did nothing. While my Prius was at the dealership, I was given a van and a Camry to drive and my phone worked fine with them."

I really like my phone and do not want to get another, but may have too. Again do not know what to get and this is a problem that needs to be fixed.

3. Gravedigger

Gravedigger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I also suffer with my phone Android 4.1.2. This weekend I will update the phone on Android 4.2.2. I hope everything will work out.

4. Dianne Farrior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Made another trip to the dealership and their "guru" looked at my problem. After the blue tooth is turned off and will not turn back on, he looked for error codes in the system and found none. They brought up another Prius three and I was able to replicate the problem in another Prius Three. He took screen shots of the problem and has talked to the engineers in Jacksonville and they think it is a problem with the phone sending data to the car at too fast of a rate. I have a work around. If I do not download my phone book or hook up the internet, the blue tooth stays connected. I have entered my most called numbers in the stored phone book on the car and can call them with voice commands. I went to Verizon and they were less than helpful. No technician at the stores now. I plan to call Motorola again. Anyone else found a solution. I hesitate to buy another phone only to have it not work after a software upgrade.

5. 14T shelley

14T shelley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Dianne:
    That is what we are doing now too. One of the reasons we went for a "3" was the true handsfree voice control bluetooth. Yes we were assured that it was compatible. And yes we can create the issue in any Prius three as well.
    Motorola and Verizon don't care that we are having issues. We have owned motorola phones for 20 years and we now own our LAST motorola product. Not just rude but insulting.
    I have heard that a new software update is coming in mid-Sept. I will keep my fingers crossed.

6. Kiani Rumbo

Kiani Rumbo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

The dealer replaced with another audio system, but the same problem is persisting.
    My phone is all OK and listed as compatible. I am just plain baffled at this incompetence....

7. Dianne Farrior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If I don't download your phone book or connect for internet, my phone works fine but I have to dial by number or use the phone. It is not satisfactory, but better than nothing. Is your phone a Motorola. I think I have narrowed it down to Motorola and 4.2.1. Let me know how the 4.2.2 does. I told the service manager at the dealership this morning, that if a 62 year old woman with not engineering degree could figure out more than their technicians and the Toyota engineers, I would be embarassed.
    I am having almost daily conversations with a Toyota engineer in Jacksonville. He has kicked it up a level and sending someone to the dealership to work with their guru to see if they can find a solution. I agree, it is my last Motorola product also. They don't seem to care. At least Toyota is trying to do something.

8. SUPERCOOLMAN

SUPERCOOLMAN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    my non-smartphone from 2007 is working fine with my 2013 Prius for calls, sync contact, call history and music playback, so it's probably the phone or Android. I highly doubt it's Toyota, but you never know if both are missing something.

9. vito.a

vito.a Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I suspect this is a problem with several automobile manufacturers. My daughter has a 2013 Honda Civic and she has issues with her Samsung Galaxy S3 disconnecting from her car Bluetooth. Ironically, my Droid Razr with 4.1.2 connects to my Prius and her Civic without issue.

10. Dianne Farrior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What Prius model do you have?

11. Gravedigger

Gravedigger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I have updated my Android to version 4.2.2
    But It did Not help.:mad:
    I will change the phone.

12. vito.a

vito.a Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a IV.

13. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is the problem with Android (FRAGMENTATION). That argument belongs in another thread but I am posting so I can at least try to offer a solution. I have a friend who just bought a Subaru Forester and had a dumb phone from Verizon that had to be set up. The dealer who was very tech savvy said that Verizon phones are very difficult to set up with bluetooth. I know that sounds crazy but it took about 20 minutes to finally pair it successfully. He said it has something to do with file sharing. Anyway, I am wondering if the connectivity issues people are having with their Android phones is attributable to the bloatware Verizon puts on their phones. I tend to doubt it is Jelly Bean because there would be many many people who would be complaining and NOT just about the Prius. Solutions? Well, you can root the phone and get rid of the bloatware and see if that solves the problem. I am not too knowledgable about Android but I am wondering if a different version of their OS can be installed on the phone as a countermeasure. Last idea is drastic but it has worked for me on my 2004 and my 2013 Prius. My iPhone 5 works flawlessly with my 2004 and my 2013. I know that getting an iPhone is out of the question for most people. Let me qualify that last statement. I have noticed that ever since I updated to iOS7 that my bluetooth phone calls sound warbled (but that's another thread).

14. Zephyr7

Zephyr7 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    1 pt to note: even on the same Android OS Samsung vs Nexus Bluetooth Stack can be different. To my knowledge Google is forcing all phone makers to use the Bluetooth Stack that comes with the OS

15. SUPERCOOLMAN

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five

but the BT stack came with Android OS was ancient old (7+ years?) until Broadcom donated the stack.

16. Dianne Farrior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I took my car and phone into the dealership today for the Toyota guy from headquarters to look at it. He concluded it was the phone. I am waiting to see what they will do since their site said it was compatible. When I picked up my car, I tried to turn on the radio and it does not work. The FM and AM are static and the SAT radio says no antenna. I was more than mad. I am taking it back at 7AM tomorrow and hope it is an easy fix.

17. swordds

swordds New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Still no solutions? I am at the delar now and both my wife's razor m and my iphone 4 disconnect from Bluetooth periodically. We have Verizon and a 2013 Prius 3. Everything will be working fine and for no apparent reason the Bluetooth turns off and can't be turned back on unless the car is stopped, turned off and then restarted and the the Bluetooth will work fine sometimes for a few hours and sometimes only for a few minutes. It is now Feb 2014. Any one have a solution yet?

18. SUPERCOOLMAN

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five

same thing happens on 2010 Prius and 2013 Prius, but it only happen to me about 5 times a year and I drive almost everyday. 2010 Prius has one additional mode of problem. instead of disconnect, it starts to play song super slow like 0.2X until restarted car.

19. David Cameron

David Cameron New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My wife has a Droid RAZR and a 2012 Prius. The two devices paired perfectly for over 16 months, and suddenly last week they won't stay connected. I've tried unpairing the phone and rebooting it, and turning off the car and restarting it. Then I can get the two device to pair up, but after only a couple of minutes the car screen will read No Bluetooth Connection, although the phone seems to think it is still connected. So I put the car in park and attempt to connect, but car screen reads Bluetooth Off, and I cannot get it to turn back on unless I shut off and restart the car, then the cycle starts all over again (devices remain paired for only a minute, etc). The phone has Android 4.1.2., I'm not sure how long it's been running that version. At first I thought the Bluetooth broke, since it shuts off and I cannot select it back on, but after reading this thread, I'm more confused than ever! Anyone have any advice?

20. swordds

swordds New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Exact same problem has happened to my wife and I. The dealer was very nice and having not been able to correct the problem they replaced the whole 2013 Prius bluetooth system under warranty and even gave us a newer Prius to drive while they were doing it. When we picked up the car they had several smartphones belonging to various employees working perfectly but as soon as we turned on my wife's Droid Razor M everything crashed and none of the other phones would work either. After that we traded in the Razor M for a Droid
    Mini and everything is working great!

iPhone ?