1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Brake "Farts"!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ptpiz, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Ptpiz

Ptpiz New Member

Hey, I have had a great experience and no problems with my prius so far except for one which just started happening recently. When I come to a stop, the brakes make this little "fart" noise. I don't know why it happens, but it just does. It is very strange. It is a hard situation to explain, but has anyone else had a problem like this? I have 3001 miles on my Prius and I hope someone can help! ThanX!

2. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Hmmm... that's a tough one. I've no idea.

You're in Florida, right? Could there be a dead gecko caught in the breaks, acting as a whoopee cushion? :mrgreen:

3. woemcats

woemcats New Member

I believe the Prius uses drum brakes, which sometimes make small sounds, very noticeable if the engine is off. Bt I'd call then small clunks more than farts. So I do not know.

4. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    From what I'd heard on my car, I'd call it more of a creaking sound - and probably completely normal. Most likely coming from the front pads as they're slowly letting the rotor through the pads.

If the sound isn't as much like a creak and if you're still concerned - the car is under warranty - have a dealer verify it - it will come at no cost to you.

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hmmm... i guess i need to turn the stereo down a bit. although i have just the standard stereo, the sound is very impressive for "stock audio"

6. Ptpiz

Ptpiz New Member

Yeah, it is more like a crack sound. htmlspinnr is right about the issue. I guess it is just regular.

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i tried listening for it today but didnt really notice anything much. i can definitely feel it when the brakes kick in at 8 mph though.

8. Batavier

Batavier Member

If it's a bit of a creaking sound, then it's nothing abnormal. My current car, Peugeot 206, has drum brakes at the rear and when I'm waiting for traffic lights on sloping road, the brakes sometimes 'creak'. Especially when I let the car slowly roll back a few millimeters.

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've tried and tried and tried and tried and tried and tried and tried and tried and I can never feel the mechanical brakes engaging. Sometimes I stop pretty hard, and often I stop pretty gently and mostly I stop moderately, and I can never feel the transition.

10. williaeh22

williaeh22 Junior Member

Back in April we made a trip from Florida to Denver, CO. The day after we arrived in Denver, the next morning the Prius emitted a short whistle when stepping on the brake. (kind of like the noise caused when fluid is forced thru an orvice at high pressure) We drove it into the city and back to the apartment (about 2 hours) by then the noise no longer occured when stepping on the brakes and it hasn't occured since. The only explanation I could come up with, was that it had something to do with elevation in Denver.

11. FredWB

FredWB New Member

I've heard that sound too. On my car seems to be coming from the right rear which led me to believe that it was coming from the exhaust as the engine shut off from a higher than normal RPM. I don't hear it all the time and if it's the brakes I've never heard drum brakes make a noise like that. I worked on lots of drum brakes on motorcycles for about 6 yrs in the early 70's and never once heard one fart, lol. It's close to a backfire out the exhaust, but not quite...just a low frequency pouffff.