1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Buying Experience with Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by frankenstein, Jul 6, 2008.

1. frankenstein

frankenstein Junior Member

Was on a waiting list for a Prius. Salesman and I agreed on an out the door price, etc. He put it in writing. I get a call telling me the car is in. I get there, and the salesman pulls the old bait and switch. Car will cost me $700 more than we agreed upon. I call him a lying #@*%&, and he takes me to the Sales Manager who is about as slimy an individual as I've ever met. He tells me any deal the salesman makes is not binding without his approval, and he's not going to approve the original deal, so take it or leave it. I walk out. I send a letter to the General Manager of the dealership and Toyota's corporate office, detailing salesman's dishonest practice and I include the document promising me the original price. Long story short, corporate gets on the dealership who calls me and tells me they will get me my car and my price. And they did! A miracle! But I'm still so poisoned by the experience I will never buy from that dealership again. By the way, sold my '07 at a thousand more than I paid for it, to buy the '08 for the same price. Neat.

2. KayakerNC

KayakerNC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    OK, it's called negotiation. Don't be poisoned by your learning experience. :fear:

3. EJFB1029

EJFB1029 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    ALL Sales negotiations are approved by the Sales Manager, there would be NO LEAVING the dealership with a sales order if it wasn't, they were just trying to get more money, and thats all.

4. SVPriusFan

SVPriusFan Hymotioned and loving it...

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    What dealership was it, and who were the sales person and manager you dealt with? You may save someone from having to go through the same experience...

5. Ichiro

Ichiro Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Why did you replace your 2007 with a 2008?
    I'm just curious as to why anyone even think about replacing a car with the identical model just one year newer.

6. 4G63

4G63 I quit boosting

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    i bet they wouldn't do that if its not a prius ur buying

7. rfruth

rfruth Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    >> Why did you replace your 2007 with a 2008?

Why not ifs its $0 & the old one wasn't customized (do people form some kind of emotional bond with their motor vehicle) ?

8. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

duh! Yes!! and Rachel has a thing for me too!

9. Stefx

Stefx Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If someone wanted to buy a 1-year car at current year MSRP, why not?

10. SVPriusFan

SVPriusFan Hymotioned and loving it...

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well, I did the exact same thing - sold my 2007 this March for a new 2008. Except in my case I sold my Prius for way above KBB value (thanks to the CA HOV stickers) so that when I moved to Colorado I was able to get a new one out the door for almost nothing out of pocket. I basically traded a 31K '07 for a zero-time '08...so no complaints:D

11. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I would love to be able to do that in CA, but the taxes and fees you lose by selling and rebuying mean you'd have to sell for $3K to $3.5K above MSRP just to break even.

12. TravelBliss

TravelBliss It's worth the wait !!!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sorry you had to go thru all that, but i'm not surprised...its a hot item and dealers will gouge you to death. Lucky you had all the paperwork and the perseverence to go above to corporate. I probably would have been soooo turned off, and bought a Honda!!

13. zahleeb

zahleeb New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hello, I'm with Bloomberg TV and was reading your story about you selling your Prius for above MSRP because of your HOV stickers. I'm doing a story on people trying to profit from their used Priuses and wondering if you might be able to connect me with the person you sold to? Also, would you be willing to share more of your story with me? If yes, please give me a call at 212 617 1822 or email me at [email protected] . Since it's the weekend, I'm also available at 310 350 6331. Thanks so much and I hope to hear from you soon. Zahra Burton

14. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm much more inclined to deal with a fleet manager in buying a car, the one with their own office away from the showroom.

I try to stay away from transient floor salespeople and certainly don't want to get into the back and forth game between them and a floor sales manager.