1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My car died before Prius arrived

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ymos, Jul 6, 2006.

1. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife just told me they have at least two brand new Prius in stock right now. I know Maine is a ways off, but a cheap one way plane ticket could put you in a new Prius tomorrow night and as I recall, Ohio is only about a 12 hour drive... You could be driving a new Prius to work monday Am..... Shoot me an email or post back and I will send you her email to see if what she has is what you are looking for.

2. meezercat

meezercat New Member

Find a way to wait for the Prius (which it sounds like you're doing anyway). There aren't enough of them in Cleveland (based on my own casual observation) - we need representation over there!

3. creamer

creamer New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ymos @ Jul 7 2006, 11:54 AM) [snapback]282576[/snapback]</div>
    Yep, if you need a car, go for the beater. It gives you a tremendous "worst to first" feeling to go from a well-used rustbucket to an ultra-shiny bells-and-whistles Prius. Settle for something else, and you may be satisfied but you still might have that lingering doubt in the back of your mind every time you see a Prius on the road.

In fact, I've got a woodsbeater to give away now that my ship has come in...or rather, now that my Prius has come in on the ship! Problem is, I'm in Minnesota, so it's probably not worth the pickup for you to get it to Ohio. Note to Minnesota-area waitlisters: if anyone needs a rusty-but-reliable 1992 Mercury Tracer to tide them over, I have one that's free to good home! It got me through fourteen winters, and then through the 3-month waitlist.

4. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Of course, the advantage of getting a "beater" while you're still waiting is that you can be driving around looking for a Prius. I found mine by going a little out of my way. You can't do this if you don't have a car. However, if public transportation is available to get you to and from where you need to go and you are able to wait, you will save some money by going that route. I would still keep searching the Internet and calling though.

Using the Internet does give you an idea of the dealers around your area and what might be available, but usually when you see something specific listed it's already gone by the time you call them or show up.

5. ymos

ymos New Member

Problem solved :rolleyes:

My mother-in-law has been on the fence about driving - her car was dead in her garage and she wouldn't make the arrangements to get it repaired. I bought her '91 Honda Accord to get me throught the next few months until the Prius arrives. I've got wheels and a little something to trade in to boot!

6. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Think you should call your dealer and tell them you are in a bind and have them find a car for you.
    If they want to keep you as a customer , they should work on it.
    Hope you get it soon!

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't agree. You should never tell a dealer you're in a bind.

However, you should call the dealer and say four months is enough and you're taking your search into your own hands. You're going to call every dealer in a 300 mile radius and whoever has your car first gets your money. And by the way....I want my deposit back. If they can provide you a car before you find your own....fine. Otherwise...see ya!

And don't settle for a color or package you don't want.

Then do it.

8. Zamboni68

Zamboni68 New Member

Wait for the Prius, buy a POS for $500, and junk it when you're done. I donated mine to the fire department for a DUI demonstration (tax write-off).

9. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How does that demo work? Do they get someone really U the I and then
    have them go out and try to D and tape the whole thing?
    _H*

10. Zamboni68

Zamboni68 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Jul 12 2006, 02:08 AM) [snapback]284833[/snapback]</div>
    No, what they do is ram the "donor" car with another, then place volunteer "victims" in the car and pretend it's an accident scene. With mine, they used a patrol car with a ram bar in the front to "crash" it.

Anyway, you could also donate it to GoodWill or another charity and get a tax write-off donation.