1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My car has no tailpipe...

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Hybrids and EVs' started by fjpod, May 13, 2012.

1. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ...it has no ICE or gas tank either.

I love my Prius, and it will remain my long distance car, but I pulled the trigger today and bought a Mitsubishi I. It's a perfect size and range for 90% of my driving, and it's here now. The Federal tax credit brings the price into the range of a standard Prius. Dealer gave a $1250 discount from MSRP.

5 people like this.
  2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Congrats! Now you'll want PV solar. That'll REALLY get you spoiled.
    :rockon:

3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That's awesome! Please use this thread to tell us about your experience.

4. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You're gonna have to do an in depth review for us all including at least half a dozen pictures :)

5. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, after 48 miles, I can't write the most in depth review, but I picked it up at the dealer yesterday with 5 miles on the odometer and a full tank of electricity. The range remaining (RR) was 73 miles. After 48 miles of driving, the RR reads 45, which means my driving style added some 20 miles to the range if I continue using this tank the same way. (ok, enough of this tank language). I think being an experienced Prius driver, helps conserve charge...although you have to lose the P&G strategy. The stick shift lets you select three driving modes with increasingly heavy battery regeneration. Applying the brakes seems to have the same regenerative capacity as the three driving modes and I don't see that it matters which one or how you use them...but I need to experience it more to learn. But if you are going down a really steep and long hill, I can see how it would pay to use the Eco or Braking driving mode.

The car feels quite solid on the ground. for a funny looking small car, it has a quite heavy feeling for its size. The batteries give it a low center of gravity. The interior room is also excellent for its outward size.

I will be using it for commuting to work, errands, visiting the folks, and probably trips into Manhattan, where I expect to park it quite easily.

The interior might leave you a little disappointed because it is spartan...The door armrests could have been a little longer, wider and softer. I would have preferred for the heat/AC controls to be a little higher up on the dash. But the seats seem quite comfortable and supportive with enough leg room up front. The back is well...the back. The rear seats fold down easily enough even from the tailgate giving plenty of cargo room.

The electric motor whines a bit, but it is not an uncomfortable sound. The pedestrian warning noise is a little high pitched and I do sort of find it annoying when I drive with the windows open.

Being so light and spartan is part of what gives the imiev its EPA rating as the most efficient car at 112 mpge. It's SciB batteries are supposed to be able to handle twice as many charges as other LiIon batteries (up to 6,000 cycles), but packs a little less juice. So I am hoping to not experience capacity loss anytime soon.

I'd be happy to answer questions.

2 people like this.
  6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Wow! I did not know this!

I remember seeing/hearing about SciB batteries at CES. I just dug up Toshiba launching SCiB batteries in March: 5 min charge, 10 year lifespan -- Engadget, Super-Charge Ion Battery (SCiBâ„¢) and Mitsubishi selects Toshiba SCiB battery to power i-MiEV, Minicab MiEV on this.

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    .... are you expecting to save money on refueling? Or is ConEd charging the same for electrons?

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Have you had a chance to quick charge yet. Now THAT is a blast ... literally. We did a test drive in the iMiev just a week ago or so ... at the EV convention up in L.A. ... but I don't recall if the iMiev has an "off" button for their low speed noise maker. Do they? I do like sneaking up on people.
    ;) I DID really did get a kick out of the 3rd re-gen setting ... MAN that's a LOT of regen. How tall are you, too. At 6'-5" ... the iMiev was a tad too tight for my lanky factor - but I was still able to fold / unfold myself in & out of it well enough.
    :p

9. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm not really expecting to save money on electric. My actual charge per kwh, with taxes,etc. comes out to 25 cents. I figure that at this rate, and with my Prius getting at least 50 mpg, and gas at $4.00 per gallon, it will be a wash. I'll have to find my Kill-o-watt meter and let you all know how much juice I'm sipping.

Con Ed does have a time of use program, which I will probably NOT sign up for because while they give you a rate about 6 cents perkwh less from 10PM to 10 AM, they actually charge you more than normal (I haven't been able to figure out how much more yet) during the day. So, it's a crap shoot. And Con Ed charges more for juice during the summer, and if you use more than a certain amount. Ahhh, the joys of living in the big city.

10. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have not tried the chaedemo charger...I have heard there are literally none in the US, and certainly none in NY that I know of. I really don't plan on charging my car anywhere except home and maybe work. I'm self employed, so I will pay for my juice no matter what. Also heard recently that chaedemo will not be the quick charge standard adopted in the US.

I am not aware of any switch to turn off the noise maker.

I'm 5' 10", 220 lbs, and fit in quite easily, and the doors, seats, roofline make entering and exiting almost effortless. I'll even by able to wear my Fedora during the winter.

As far as the three driving modes, as I may have mentioned before, I like having them there, and I can see the advantages of each, but I'm almost certain you can achieve the same level of regen with the brake pedal.

11. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

...believe you are correct 25 cents is around break-even. Maybe buy some stock in Con Ed as a hedge. They pay a good dividend. Happy driving and take care on the Belt Parkway. My wife is from LI; I used to think they drove crazily over there, but seems much better now, or else I now drive the same.

13. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good idea about the stock. Thanks.

14. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I would just caution to make an investment because its a good investment not as a hedge on your electric rates. Don't take this as investment advice, only risk management advice.

ConEdison is a mix of regulated and unregulated entity. While the regulated side may make a higher profit if costs go up, the unregulated portion will go down. The biggest input to the unregulated side is the price of natural gas, and if prices go up, your utility rates will likely go up but the price of the stock may go down. Likewise the stock is highly sensitive to interest rates. Its not a good hedge.

15. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    all things to be considered... You seem well versed on the financial side of things...and I know that in the summer Con Ed struggles to keep the NYC grid going which puts a great deal of financial pressure on them. They need more daytime customers in the summer like they need a hole in the head.

I find their time of use rate schedule to be a joke...yes they will give you a lower rate at night, but they raise your daytime rate, so chances are you don't come out ahead.

16. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...Re: Con Ed - caution always re: investments, but I would not recommend anything I did not own myself. I tend to listen to Jim Cramer's advice (Mad Money) and last I knew he was supportive on CE as one of the better utilities to own. The event I see possibly causing a pull-back is if the Bush tax cuts expire, then the dividend is less valuable and the demand for dividend stocks may decline.
    I would possibly add to my CE position on a pull back. Small position in CE is not quite, but almost, the total extent of my vast stock portfolio. So although I was kidding when I said get some Con Ed stock, I was half serious.

17. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Congrats on the new car. I think you posted about this somewhere else as well, but I'll jump in here again anyway to repeat: It sounds like a great car for your needs. One of these days I need to stop by the Mitsubishi dealership and drive one.

I'd take the longevity predictions with a grain of salt, since it's too new for extended real-world data, but it does look like a good battery with potential to make a difference. I won't be trading in my Tesla for a Miev, though, even if the battery does have some advantages. :D Even with the little 35-mph Xebra, driving electric was so much fun. More fun now. So I know you're having a blast!

I feel for you on the electric rates! I pay 6 cents per kWh (hydro). Are you in a position to install PV? Or do you have the option to buy green electricity?

1 person likes this.
  18. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've never heard of con Ed offering green energy. All of NYCs power comes from natural gas and nuclear, so from a CO2 perspective, it is considered fairly "clean".

I've looked at PV costs and they are ridiculous here. The dealer/installers want to rob you blind. One company is offering a lease plan where the break even point is 30 years.

19. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I wasn't commenting on it as an investment at all, just commenting on the hedge value. For gasoline, an oil stock, or oil or gasoline futures can be used to hedge for price increases, or for the more risk seeking shorting airlines. For electricity in most places, going renewable is a good hedge, but this isn't available in NYC. ConEdison has other factors not related to electric rates to hedge.

Enjoy your new car. NYC power is very low polluting. You have already agreed to pay the high prices of your utility, and the car is a hedge against higher gas prices. Just curious what part of NY do you live in:D

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Yep ... similar here in So Cal . . . welcome to the great shell game called, "utility rates". We dumped time of use after only 3 or 4 months. during that season, we lost over 30% of the solar surplus that we'd have normally generated. We do much better with regular ol' grid tied PV billing - rather than TOU billing. And don't EVEN get me started on the utility's suggestion of having a separate EV kWh meter installed. The 3 contractors average charge for busting into our stucko and installing a 2nd kWh meter socket? $1,300 !!! Oh yea ... I'll jump all over that deal ... maybe in a couple decades it'd pay for itself.
    :pound: