1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My car has no tailpipe...

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Hybrids and EVs' started by fjpod, May 13, 2012.

1. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    To me, a hedge is that damn thing in front of my house that I have to trim twice a year. lol

I live in staten Island, which is a rather densely populated suburb of NYC. IOW, every other corner there is a light or stopsign. My average speed indicator is usually at 17...yet I manage to average 52+ under these conditions.

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    EVs excel at efficiency under slow and stop-and-go conditions. My Roadster peaks with over 400 miles range at a constant speed of around 17 or 18 mph.

3. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Of course I've only had the imiev a few days, but it is a totally different driving experience. On the Prius, you try to use the battery, on the imiev, you try not to...duh. Pulse and glide also doesn't work. Slowing down driving into a hill does work.

So far, with my 2 1/2 year driver training on a Prius, and three days on the miev, it seems like my RR indicator doesn't go down quite as quickly as the number of miles I actually drive...which I think is a good thing. Of course I haven't used headlights, CC, just the radio.

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't think the headlights use up much energy. I'd rather have the safety of headlights (even in the daytime, so other drivers see me better) than a couple of extra miles of range. Even in the Xebra, with it's 40 miles to empty, I always used the headlight.

5. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    LOL...a raspberry miev is pretty easy to see.

6. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So I attempted a full charge again last night as I had quite a bit of driving in store for today. I underestimated the time I needed for charging...again, but I started out with 80 miles RR. I had all 16 pips. I drove 16 miles into Manhattan, and when I pulled into the parking lot, my RR was 77. I only used up 3 miles of RR, and I used up two pips. The weather was good, no CC, speed varied from 15-40 mph, heavy traffic but not stop and go.

At the parking lot, I got the attendant to charge me up with their 220volt charger. My car was there for about 1 1/2 hours, but I am not certain exactly how long I was connected, or whether it was fully charged. When I got in the car, my RR was 99...Eureka.

Now, driving home, I did the same 16 miles with the AC on (very minimal), as it was very muggy and noisy(worked great BTW). My average speed was higher, 40-45, and I drove a bit more aggressively as traffic permitted. When I got back, my RR was 83, so I used up 16 miles of RR driving 16 miles. Pretty good, I thought using AC.

1 person likes this.