1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Cell Phone charges poorly

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by jinenjo7, Feb 10, 2017.

1. jinenjo7

jinenjo7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Hello. I'd like to know if anyone has similar issues. When I plug my phone into the lighter socket, while using a GPS driving directions app, my phone not only uses a lot of battery, it actually loses power. Any ideas?
    I have a Galaxy Note 4, and use the Samsung charging cable it came with.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's probably not supplying enough amps. The note home charger is probably much more powerful than the cars cigarette lighter

I don't think they recommend you charging and using the phone at the same time.

I bought another battery for my phone, that I just switch out, so my phone is never connected to a cord

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Note 4 is a big phone.

The problem isn't the cord or the car's lighter socket, but probably the $5 adapter that you're plugging INTO the lighter socket.
    Buy a better car charger - one that the kids out there use for a tablet, which is basically what your phone is.

You don't have to spend a lot of money.
    Just get one that's rated to deliver roughly the same current that your home charger does.

I'll save the distracted driving lecture for later.

Good Luck!

djdawn and JC91006 like this.
  4. Bill Lohman

Bill Lohman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    ETC(SS) is right. Samsung uses a Qualcom fast charger circuit (Note4 and my GS6 too). If you just get a Qualcom spec'd smart charger you'll be fine. I run GPS, Lyft app, and Pandora (into my bluetooth) and the phone still charges up fast if I had let it run down. I think Qualcom's propietary name for its technology is Smart Charge. It's different than Apple's fast charge tech.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Mabarking likes this.