1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My clocks did not change!?!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cyberpriusII, Nov 6, 2022.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While cells phones and computers changed with the move to Standard Time this morning in the USA, my two clock radios and my cordless landline phone did not fall back.

The clock radios receive a signal from some govt. thing and have always changed in the past. Not sure how the Panasonic cordless works, but it has also always taken care of itself. If it was just one device.,,,,

Any thoughts?
    kris

edthefox5 likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Time to battle with my digital Casio wrist watch agin...

There's rumbling up here, to stop the bi-yearly changes. :) And leave it on daylight savings, all the time. :(

Montgomery and cyberpriusII like this.
  3. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My Prius's clock doesn't seem to know to "fall back," either. What a horrible defect! Making it "fall back" is more onerous than making it "spring forward," because now I have to push the hour button 23 times instead of 1.

Ryder99 and cyberpriusII like this.
  4. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I changed the landline cordless in a few seconds. The clock radios both have different rituals and of course the manuals are long gone

Seems that for one of them, I have to rub my tummy with one hand while facing the east and chanting some phrase I don't recall, all the while fumbling with the other hand to quickly press four different buttons in some precise order.

bisco and CR94 like this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don't know that our dog heard about the time change. It's cold rain this morning anyway, and he appears to be in no rush.

fuzzy1 and cyberpriusII like this.
  6. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dogs are on top of the weather. In summer, when it is light at 4:15 a.m., they are up and ready to go. Snowy, cold days, they want nothing to do with going outside. Amazing how their bladders don't burst -- they can go from 6 p.m to noon the next day with no issue. Wish I worked that way. :)

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mrs b has a clock radio that had time changes programmed in. when they moved the dates, it basically became obsolete.
    she still uses it, but when it changes time on the wrong date, she winds up getting up an hour early, or an hour late.
    most people like the extra hour today, but i prefer darker in the morning and lighter in the evening.

we have 12 clocks that have to be manually changed

Ryder99 likes this.
  8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, my thermostat has the current date rules baked into it. That'll be swell until the next time Congress changes them.

If I remember right, there is a little USB port on it that can be used for updates. It's a dozen years old; I wonder if Honeywell would issue an update for it.

9. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Oh, life is so complicated. Pushing buttons! How archaic! ;)

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My "atomic" clock, which generally syncs to NIST's time stations WWV (Colorado) or WWVH (Hawaii) overnight when shortwave radio propagation is best (and free-runs the rest of the day), missed last night so is still on DST. It isn't unusual for it to miss a time change for a night or two before catching up.

Dad's similar clock erroneously changed to standard time a week early, but returned to the right time the next day. I'm not there now, so haven't heard if it changed back to standard time today.

I've long wanted to stop it too.:)

Yes, a lousy idea. While many people like the pseudo-"extra" daylight, several recent news articles have pointed out the many health consequences from having DST during winter here at our mid-latitudes.

Numerous school districts have pushed back start times for high school students due to the typical circadian clock schedule of that age group, to improve academic performance. Permanent DST would mean needing to push back those start times another hour, at least in winter, just to maintain the benefits of the original shift.

While many people say they want the earlier clock (i.e. DST), the shift of numerous common retail opening and closing hours over my life strongly suggests the opposite. After a job change two decades ago, to a tech place with a significantly younger average age, the later spread of morning arrival times demonstrated the same thing.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Dog bladders may be upsized because of the secondary role of urine in chemical communication. Out where direct meetings may be uncommon. While wishing for high capacity, one might not choose to participate in the scenternet.

12. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Speaking of time zones, There is a country spanning about 62 degrees of Longitude with only a single time zone. No fair peeking on internet. As a corollary, more people live in this time zone than any other. Youse can win some bar bets if you happen to be in an area where Geography is not much taught.

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We’ve oft heard it referred to as “peemail”.

tochatihu likes this.
  14. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    wee-wee-web

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm DQ'd for having previously looked at the Internet. Even without that, having some knowledge about the multiple time zones of the wide-longitude competition leads to an answer by elimination.

Are local schools and businesses hours scheduled according to a common national time, or by something closer to local solar time? Or by something else?

16. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    In far-west China, people do what they do according to sunlit hours. The overbearing national clock system does not prevail. Have I said too much?

17. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sun dials?

Bob Wilson

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  19. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My older atomic clocks have a DST setting. You need to go into settings and manually turn DST on or off. My newer one updates DST by itself.

20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine is automatic only, it cannot be done manually. But it did catch up this morning.