1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Complete Review of H&R Lowering Springs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by macmaster05, Nov 27, 2010.

1. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Installed H&R Lowering Springs yesterday:
    - $200 from Tire Rack + $16 shipping
    - $150 install cost
    - Time: 2 hours

Fitting/Installation: First, I installed the springs with my stock shocks. I have <30k miles on them so it didn't make sense for me to replace them yet. The front springs went on the front struts just fine, he had to use a spring compressor to fit them. The rear springs is what slightly concerned me: When the rear suspension was fully extended/dropped (such as jacked on a lift) there is about 1/2" of "play" between the spring and the perch. Therefore, any time I lift my car (speed bump or on a lift), I have to be sure that the rear spring doesn't get shifted out of place. When I get my oil changed/tires rotated I'll have to make sure that the springs are set properly when they lower the car from the lift. Now I don't plan to do any off-roading so this won't be a problem: the weight of the car keeps the springs in place.

I've googled this issue and it seems quite common with lowering springs. The spring is lower so depending on the spring, there might be a small gap or "play." I just wish H&R would get their **** straight. First, the "H&R" lettering on the springs was upside down based on the only orientation they would install properly (it's not supposed to be). Then this issue of the spring being too short. My installer said the rear springs weren't made for the Touring since the strut was too long (hence the 1/2" gap w/ suspension dropped). I still disagree. Isn't the height of the strut the same between a Touring and base model? Or maybe the parts are the same dimension and the suspension drops differently? But like I said, not a big issue at all. I'm just glad my installer was kind enough to point it out.

Comfort: The ride is so surprisingly comfortable I can't tell I have lowering springs. Over bumps and bad roads, the ride feels just the same as before. Speed bumps seem to be my only new mortal enemy. I have to take them REALLY slowly now.

Handling: It doesn't handle like a Prius anymore, which is possibly the best part. There is almost no lean and body roll when taking turns. I can corner faster, too. I'll take a lower center of gravity over a strut or chassis brace any day. This is the real deal.

Mileage: In theory my mileage should go up because now there's a smaller drag coefficient. But I haven't noticed any improvements because it's so minimal. One of the coolest things is that the Prius does seem to accelerate faster, from a stop per se. You physics guys might be able to explain that better to me, but it could be a combination of less drag and a more responsive suspension system.

Alignment: I didn't bother to wait 500 miles to get an alignment (I have Lifetime Alignments at Firestone hehehe). Anyways, camber was surprisingly in spec. I'd expected it to go more negative. Toe was WAY out of spec (-.25) and they corrected that to -.01. SAI is slightly out of spec (13.5 from 13.3) and they didn't correct that, but I'm not worried.

Appearance: H&Rs advertised 1.4"F and 0.7"R drop is spot on and I think it does wonders for the Prius. It looks more balanced and sporty. I have about 2" of fender gap compared with like 3.5" before, so rubbing is definitely not an issue. Stock cars just don't look right to me anymore. They're too tall and awkward.

Summary: This is the most drastic modification I've made to date. I'm so excited that it serves its purpose. Looks, handling, and heck, I'll even throw in comfort. If you've been considering lowering springs, go for it!

Bobby313 likes this.
  2. kennyl10

kennyl10 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice man, looks good!

3. PhazonPhobe

PhazonPhobe His name is Sora

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It really does look pretty clean.

What kind of rims are those? I've been trying to find some similar to those for a while now.

4. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looks much better in my opinion.Bottom photo that is. H

5. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks guys!

My rims are just the stock Touring rims without wheel covers. Before my car was lowered I always thought these rims were funky. They looked like hubcaps to me. But now with the car lower, the rims look more like, well, rims. I wish I could explain how that worked.

6. TheNewGuy8

TheNewGuy8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you still have the pics of this? I can't see them from this old thread.

7. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here's an old picture, hope it helps. [​IMG]

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For some reason I thought you had Eibach. Ahh well. I placed.my order for Eibachs and KYB struts today. I'll post pics after the install. Do you want to come with me to the place in Fremont?

9. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You did good Justin, because Eibach looks even better (bigger drop)! Here's Supreme's on Eibachs. [​IMG]

PM sending...

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Damn that looks good!

I put my 17s back on so i'm ready to roll. I can't afford the 045s yet so i'll have to roll these for awhile. Should look decent with the drop and slight rake.

11. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, personally I like your 'Lines. Nothing wrong with them at all. Better than OEM.

Also the good thing about this is we know George has worked on a Prius before (mine) so the install should go even more smoothly. When I visited him he said he'd worked on a Prius once before, but I dont know if that was true or not, lol!

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, bru.

The more I see my wheels on the car the more I want to keep them. They get a lot of good comments. I just need to drop the car for the finishing touch! Thanks for pushing me in that direction. The drawback is I won't be able to drive on a couple of my nature preserves anymore.

13. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea I got the eibachs and it looks/feels great. I think you'll be happy with it F8L.

14. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the reassurance. :)

I used the Eibach Pro-Kit of my 2000 Trans Am and on my old fox-body Mustangs and I loved it. That is why I've always stuck with the brand. I hope the body sway is much reduced. That is my only complaint currently. The 17s make a HUGE difference in handling but the sway is still present.

15. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Once the springs are installed, I may look into wheel spacers for the rear. I hate how the wheels tuck back in the wheel well so much.

16. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just noticed your observation regarding increased acceleration.

Two thoughts here.

1. Cars lower to the ground tend to feel faster. My dropped Corvette always felt faster than my 4x4 truck yet they were equal in the 1/4 mile.

2. If you reduced rear end squat during acceleration then you improved power to the wheels and acceleration. When the rear end squats due to brisk acceleration, energy is wasted lifting the front end. If the front end lift can be eliminated and traction is maintained then you will have better acceleration because more energy is applied to forward motion instead of upward motion. In theory anyway. :)

17. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah it's something like that. However I don't notice the brisker accleration anymore, if it actually was ever there. It's hard to say if there's significantly less body sway, like on the highway because I still feel some. There is less roll in turns though. I remember feeling it on my first left turn out of the shop's road.

Another thing is your rims will look better after a lowering. It balances the look. But excuse me, I feel like I'm spoiling it for you. ;)

18. Gun owning Prius driver

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Just added my rims today, i thought h&r had a lower drop doesnt eibach only drop it 1inch front And back

19. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorta. It depends on how bad your OE springs were sagging before you swapped them out. In my case the OEs were sagging pretty bad so the car was barely 1" lower, if that, after the Eibachs. The following pics were before full settling occurred. Tires were 215/45/17 so a little larger in diameter than the OE 15s.
    Front before
    [​IMG]

Front after
    [​IMG]

Rear before
    [​IMG]

Rear after
    [​IMG]

Here you can see how low the rear was after settling
    [​IMG]

20. boosthead

boosthead Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wish the eibachs were still available.

Xoom ? 2