1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Complete Review of H&R Lowering Springs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by macmaster05, Nov 27, 2010.

1. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do you need new struts? If yes, then go for it. If no, then why bother fixing it?

2. mikednpv

mikednpv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The struts need to be replaced. 203,000 mi on them and they're leaking.

3. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow, haha ok. Get them swapped then. KYB is like stock, I hear. keep in mind I only had 30k miles or so when I installed my springs haha.

4. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    While swapping in my suspension on my '08 touring -- Toyota and KYB was stamped on the side along with the stock 'color band' markings showing they were straight from Toyota. If you looking for an upgrade from Stock KYB isn't it. KYB is direct replacement.

[​IMG]

5. twinturboguy

twinturboguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Update
    New Install H&R Coils. I got lucky and found on Amazon.
    06 Prius 242k Miles
    185/65R-15 BRIDGESTONE ECOPIA EP422 PLUS Got on sale $86 ea w tax

So my old suspension , the rear coil snapped & opposite was looking bad. I was going to use the old suspension to just see how it handled it. (New Tires were put on when I had the old suspension)

But a lot of the suspension like control arms & Struts were rotting away.

So new Rockauto full suspension.
    w H&R Coils. Tie rods, control arms, seats, strut mounts, bellows, & pretty much everything. But cheap Struts. They seem fine so far.
    * Fun Part* No spring/coil compressor is needed for new install. You just push em down by hand. Front & Back. Then tighten the nut.

What the thread host said is accurate.
    I can tell it's lowered. But it's very good for lowered car. Very minimal for bouncing.
    But if road is bad enough it will bounce and be little rough.

Overall it's comfortable and feels sporty.

Fuel Economy ⛽
    Improved from 47 to 50mpg avg.
    At 249K now.
    *Could also be because old suspension was shot*

Look is great.

Performance is very good. It feels very different and can fly around high speed Curves on the road.

To do list.
    - Ball Joints. I have the parts but my old ones are seized and didn't have time to cut them off.
    - Check wheel bearings
    - rear bushings

Ps the rear coil & strut assy will feel very weird because coil will just be dangling loose when car is lifted. This is normal for this application & haven't seen any issues.

Other Fuel Economy ⛽ Information
    So if anyone is thinking that your mpg will stay the same. I would say that that is not accurate.
    Since this new suspension I've been driving like a crazy person and driving much faster. So my mpg should have definitely went down. But it went up.
    And I felt like with the old suspension I was trying harder for better mpg.
    Now I sort of drive it like a normal commuter. Definitely rushing to work a lot. So if I really tried now. I can only imagine doing better than 3mpg increase.
    So aerodynamics maybe, lower to the ground.
    Tight suspension around turns, definitely allowing to keep momentum up and less braking.
    Fresh Suspension & tight probably allowing EV to accelerate a little faster with less effort. Longer Time before ice comes on.

#65 twinturboguy, Aug 12, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2023
  6. jteran5

jteran5 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    How was your alignment after? My camber and toe were off in the rear.

You're review of the H&R springs are spot on. I had them on my car for 2 months but wanted to go even lower and ebeded up getting coilovers

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.