1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My continual Prius problems lately

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Justdidit, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Had a company install fog lights on my replacement 2007 Prius I picked up after I totaled my 2008. When i went to pick the car up, the car wouldn't start. Showed the triangle of death and threw a code that the 12v was bad. Probably from having the car off and testing the fog lights continually - resulted in a drained battery. I picked up a brand new yellow top optima battery and thought this would resolve my issues. Nope, once the batter was replaced, the car wouldn't go into Drive or Reverse, only park or neutral. The current code is P0A0D. The shop is baffled. They removed all modified parts and still can't figure out the issue. They are currently replacing the interlock plug in hopes that this will resolve the issue.

Any ideas??

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Did you try to start to start the car more than once. When the battery is disconnected it usually takes to restarts before the Prius works.
    The Prius also shows a fault code if you check for codes in a workshop. This code is for the light sensor on the dash.

John (Britprius)

3. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I've tried to start the car several times since the issues started. When this all started the car said: A warning on the dashboard says "P Lock Malfunction when parking, park car on a flat place" The car is parked on a very flat surface. The e-brake light was stuck on and it wasn't even engaged. That's about the time i replaced the 12v to eliminate that as a possible threat.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How long have you had this car?

5. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Barely 2 weeks and it was working perfectly fine before the garage attempted their fog light install. This was a base model with no fog lights and I wanted some installed.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Disconnect the negative battery cable for 30 seconds and try it again. Make sure all the connections on the battery are tight.

Justdidit likes this.
  7. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'll try this again after work.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    double check to make sure the ground connection to the car body is tight as well (next to the negative on the battery)

9. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah, its still giving you the symptoms for a weak 12V battery. Is the "new" Optima fully charged?

Charge the battery, and you'll be fine. If you decide to jump it, do not reverse polarity.

10. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The new YellowTop is showing 'Good' by the Prius on-board diagnostics in the 14.1 range.

11. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That is with the car on and running "Ready" right?

12. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Turn the car off, take foot off the brake, press pwr 2x, turn lights on and then give me the reading.

13. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    This was the reading i got when i ran the the on-board 12 battery testing - what mode i don't remember. I'll run it again once i get off work and get all the different readings.

14. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah, you have to be in IG ON to correctly read the 12V battery. If your in "Ready", you will read the DC to DC converter voltage (which should be right around 14.1V and which is what you likely read). I would be willing to bet you one of two things is the problem
    1) The battery has a loose connection
    2) the battery is discharged

I've seen this problem so many times (exact symptoms you describe) and it always turns out to be the 12V battery or a connection to it.

To access IG ON, with foot OFF the brake, press pwr twice.

JC91006 likes this.
  15. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I know this sounds stupid, but does the car have plenty of gas? It almost sounds like the Prius thinks it is out of gas. But it also sounds like the battery is not charged up due to the warning statement on the MFD.

I would check the voltage at the jump post under the hood with a digital volt meter when the Prius is turned off with NO load present.

It should read in the area of 12.6 volts if fully charged at the jump post. If it is lower, then fully charge the battery and try again.

If the voltage is good, then I would suggest you unhook the battery to possibly clear any "no start" conditions and then reconnect after waiting a few minutes and see if the ICE will start up normally while in Ready Mode. Also confirm that the brake lights are working when you step on the brake.

16. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    It has 2 lil bars left. - I'll try all of these suggestions.

17. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Any lights on the dash? Have you tried to pull codes yet? Check the voltage like I and other's have suggested. 2 lil bars should be Ok I think.

Some folks report it takes two tries to get the Prius back up after a battery swap. But the thing that really stands out is the MFD warning. It sounds like a weak battery from that aspect. Make sure the brake lights are coming on when you step on the brake.

18. 00-00

00-00 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    This makes me wonder if the installation shop ran down the battery and mistakenly jumped it improperly.
    Just a thought...

19. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No, if they did that, there would be diff symptoms.

20. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bet like OO-OO said.

Seen this before. They either killed the 12 went to jump it and blew the car up or they took power off the wrong place and damaged an ecu. Idiots. Its pretty easy to f up a Prius if you are not familiar with the car. Ask them if they replaced any fuses like the dome fuse.

POA's are usually Hybrid Powertrain Control Module nags.