1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My CT 200h test drive last night.

Discussion in 'Lexus Hybrids and EVs' started by UsedToLoveCars, Mar 13, 2011.

1. UsedToLoveCars

UsedToLoveCars Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Finally got to test this car out. The bay-area dealer I visited had one demo unit in stock, but all their allocation and their next batch of allocation were all sold.

Interestingly, the tester had some options you can't get yet - like radar cruise control. I mentioned to the dealer that the configurator on lexus.com does not show these options - I forgot exactly what he said, but the implication was the tester was a preproduction model. I suppose this is plausible, because they are a huge dealer and might have access to things other dealers don't. At any rate, he said the radar cruise and the other goodies would be available on production cars later.

Getting into the car - the seats are pretty low and you almost have to contort yourself to get in. Once you are in, they are VERY comfy, they feel like they wrap around you.

I drove it first - I thought the acceleration was peppy feeling and more than adequate, despite the hype about this thing being slower that the Prii. One thing I didn't really like was the off-the-line acceleration starting with the ICE off was very sluggish, once the ICE kicked in it was fine, though. Handling seemed fine, but it wasn't anything like a BMW or a Porsche (I used to own an old porsche, so I like to think I know good handling when I experience it.)

The car felt peppier with sport mode on. But that also made the engine rev higher and the noise started getting annoying. The engine note seems to be more aggressive sounding than a prius. The noise levels were higher than I expected - especially with the "acoustic windshield" etc. I did not notice any handling differences between sport and normal - supposedly the steering "tightens up", but I did not notice it.

My GF drove it next, and I sat in the passenger side. The silver trim seemed a little cheap, but the rest of the materials on the dash were very nice. Did I mention the seats were very nice? I don't think I like the nav sticking up out of the dash. everything else was pretty nice.

The back seats fold down flat very easily. not a lot of space in the back, but not bad, either.

All in all, I thought the car was competent, but it didn't stir any emotions in me, as I would expect with a luxury car. My GF, who is not really a car person, and I thought would like it, actually did not. She thought it was "boring". She didn't think it drove any nicer than the Prius she had rented for a few weeks on business. She actually liked the Prius better!

We also test drove an Audi A3 a few weeks ago. We both liked the A3 better. (Though not enough to buy it).

So for me at least, the ct200h is close, but no cigar... The hunt continues for the perfect car...

5 people like this.
  2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for the impressions.

FWIW, Consumer Reports reliability ratings on the A3 are worse than average now. Per Car Model Review - Consumer Reports (you'll need a subscription): "Based on the latest survey, we expect reliability of new models will be 22% below average".

Maybe try out the HS 250h? Yeah yeah, it hasn't done great in reviews and has significantly worse mileage than the Prius, but I had won a one week test drive and liked the car. If in some fantasy world Toyota said, we'll take your 06 Prius off your hands and give you the loaner 2010 HS you had instead, I'd probably go for it. :)

3. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You thought the A3 was better? That's a bad sign for the 200h :(

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that is not a very encouraging review for a lexus.

5. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is no perfect car and there never will be. First thing I noticed when hatch is opened on CT is , wow, that cargo area is small! I believe it clocks in 1/2 the size of Prius', about 11 cuft.

It may not be as exciting as A3, but it gets 42 MPG.

6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No surprise ....

My 2009 Car and Driver buyer's guide shows Audi A3 at 6 / 10 stars on both enthusiast appeal and consumer appeal (6 stars a lot, they never give more than 2 stars on any other Toyota) FYI, the 2009 Prius was 1 /10 star enthusiast appeal.

C&D says this about A3 - "Seductively styled inside and out, fun to drive, powerful engines, refinement, low price. All controls feel right, it's willing to play and satisfy with either engine."

Don't know if A3 still does, but it had the GTI's 2L turbo 4 engine. I test drove a 2010 GTI automatic last year and wow, that thing gets up and goes. I would never expect any hybrid to match that.

7. porttac

porttac Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The Audi A3 non-diesel does move, but I think we are looking at a different fish here as far as wants and needs. Reliability? Audi does best when parked ( I know, I own a 2006 TT) Audi Service..not high for anyone who has gone to a dealership for service, cost is up there, service, not much. The CT200h offers some of the sportiness of the Audi with all the upsides. Service,reliability and mpg and comfort (I think, have not driven one ) No,a hybrid can't match the speed or handling...(want to buy my TT?) Give me comfort and mpg...the times are changing.

8. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

well, not everyone has to like the same car, if everyone did, we would have single car company with single car model :)

9. porttac

porttac Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    agree, but I thought this was about the Lexus CT200h, which is a rather narrow bracket...it's not an Audi...

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i guess we were all hoping for an upgraded prius, and what we got is a down graded prius and lexus.

11. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

what made you say that? some of the prius people are moving to ct200h, and most like it quite a bit better than prius.

it is also purposely made smaller car than prius too, it is not an accident.

1 person likes this.
  12. porttac

porttac Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  13. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It would have been pretty interesting if Lexus built CT with size and shape of Prius but with interior laid out more like the CT.

14. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some are mentioning on CT site how it is a very compact car. You can tell when you look over shoulder as driver and wow, the rear seatbacks are so close.

15. UsedToLoveCars

UsedToLoveCars Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    ok - don't get me wrong - this is a fine car, and I think many people will be thrilled with it. Please please please, try it for yourselves!

I don't think it's for me, though. Sorry to sound so negative with my impressions.

Though I've never been entirely impressed w/ Lexus cars, except for the LS460 which I love love love.

I'm aware of the lack of reliability in the A3. In fact, the A3 tester we drove had the paint (!) on the window switches bubbling up and flaking off.

So, I doubt I'd get an A3. Thought about the mini cooper too - horrible reliability.

So, like I said, the hunt continues for the perfect car (for me)...

16. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sounds like VW/Audi is still doing the same old bit w/the materials having good apparent quality and feel yet not necessarily being durable. I'd always heard of peeling interiors in VWs and various interior bits breaking, besides electrical problems.

VW fanboys will defend and make claims like it's due to lack of maintenance. What are you supposed to "maintain" to prevent the above?

17. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

My friend had 2002 A4 and it had peeling window switches and bubling plastic on switches in the interior... after only 2 years... :)

18. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

whole point of CT200h is that it is one size smaller and C class premium hatchback.

19. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Considering the maintenance is similar to the Prius and the increase in the "fun to drive" factor, this car is a game changer.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have been hearing rumors of lexus prius for a few years. what i have been envisioning is a prius with some body styling cues and lexus comfort and luxury with only a minimal giveback in mpg's. lexus doesn't necessarily mean sporty.