1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My CT 200h test drive last night.

Discussion in 'Lexus Hybrids and EVs' started by UsedToLoveCars, Mar 13, 2011.

1. UsedToLoveCars

UsedToLoveCars Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I honestly don't know what is up with german brands and dodgy electronics. Electronic components OSTENSIBLY should be the most reliable things inside a car.

Do their suppliers not do the QA that just about every other electronics manufacturer does?

I just don't get it.

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    CT200h was designed for the European market to compete with A3 and BMW 1 series. The chief engineer understood the roads in Europe are narrow and people drive fast. He made sure CT200h steers with 0.1 degree steering wheel change.

3. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Darn still won't help my driving.

:rolleyes:

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Can you fill me in? What's the deal with your driving?

5. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ask my wife. She'll tell you. She tells me all the time.
    :D

6. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

well in Europe, CTh gets better mileage than Prius... so lets all move here and get even better mileage! :).

Without the joking, the difference is in levels of equipment - american public would not accept bare/"eco" Lexus with 15" wheels.

7. Cactuscoug

Cactuscoug CactusCoug

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    While stopping short of driving one, we did stop by Lexus yesterday and sit in one.

We were prepared to be impressed. We came away disappointed.

While beautiful inside and out, the car came up short in several areas:

Storage - only one glove box in the front versus two in the Prius. No "basement" storage in the back.

Backseat legroom is less than the Prius.

Visibility through the rear hatch is less than the Prius.

Gas milage of 43/40 is less than Prius' 51/48. The Lexus salesman explained that it is because of the "sport suspension." That makes no sense to me.

8. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I noticed the lack of rearseat leg room too. Specsheet says 32.9" compared to 38.6" in the second generation Prius. I liked the looks of the interior, but I wonder about the placement of the front seat cupholders; looks like large mugs might get in the way. BTW, when I commented about the leg room, the salesman moved the front passenger seat up until his knees nearly touched the dash, and said "See, there's plenty of room back there!"

9. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

it is smaller than Prius, so it has less space.. it also has Lexus seats so you dont sit as upright as in prius. it is also heavier and has performance instead of eco tires, all of which bring the mpg down a bit.

10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    CT200h is only 6 lbs heavier than Mazda 3 automatic 5 doors hatch. That's like virtually no weight penalty for a luxury hybrid hatch of the same size.

11. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just test drove today over lunch. A Premium model.

Love the styling, the 17" wheels, the interior, the seats, the rattle-less environment (also big bass no platic rattling).

The storage space is smaller, deepwise, by exactly 3 inches. Width is the same.
    Seats fold the same.

Sitting behind the driver's seat in the rear, missing two inches, not a big issue. No folding center arm rest w/cup holders.

I did like the placement for AUX & USB, and totally salivated the dashboard controls and color displays.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Unfortunately, only getting 16k Can$ after 11 months on my G3 Prius when I still owe 25k$.
    So I have to wait at least three years. Boohoo.

boohoo driving the world's 2nd best hybrid (that gets better mpg)...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. UsedToLoveCars

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Funny - I thought the USB placement was all wrong and not thought out.

it's in it's own tiny little covered cubby, which means you need to yank the USB cable out every time you want to close it, or leave it sticking out, flopping around, visible for thieves to see you might have gadgetry. Where I live, your window will get smashed if anything is left visible, even a few coins.

and then where do you put your device? there is no good place to put it.

cars that have the USB jack so you can close the lid on your device or close the lid and not have the cable sticking out get it right.

or better yet, like the mini have an actual dock for your idevice.

13. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just above the slotted door for the USB/AUX, there is a cigarette sized cutout, you put your iPod / MP3 player in there. Or you could put coins, or both, to maximize that break-in potential.

However it would be easy to route thin/flat wired USB elsewhere, or, simply, use a USB stick in the USB slot.

In my G3 I just have the AUX, and I find it annoying where it is - but at least we have one.

14. Tonic

Tonic New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

i would love the premium model but its a huge step in price.....

i still dont know if i will make move, i should do like you and keep the prius for another 3 years!

15. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

most people, including myself, dont like usb port stashed away somewhere because it makes it more work to plug the device in. Making it easily accessible with phone on the outside just makes more sense.

i mean if you dont mind putting your iphone into the glove box every time (and losing nav abilities for instance), why would you mind simply storing usb cable each time? It is actually less work.

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe that's why people are afraid of all the electronics in a hybrid :confused:. It's the European manufacturers that are scaring them off ;)

I thought the reliability improved for the 2nd generation MINI?

Well it was designed with the European market in mind. Anyone who's sat in a 1 Series will know how small it is (even though it doesn't look too small on the outside. There's something about a hatchback that makes it look smaller than the coupé version). It really challenges the North American perception of luxury = big/comfy.

In Canada, we have plenty of compacts with premium features (I wouldn't call them premium compacts just yet). We have the Acura CSX for example. Our Corolla LE comes with available power driver's seat, heated cloth front seats, SKS and automatic climate control, none of which are available in the US.

However, I think you guys will be getting a host of similar compacts such as the Fiesta and Focus which will come with "big car" features (of course you'll have to get the SEL versions).

17. UsedToLoveCars

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    eh... according to consumer reports 2007 (start of gen 2) through 2009 were dismal. 2010 sudden is a bit better than average. I don't trust something that went from worst reliability to above average in just a year.

Plus reading around the mini forums it seems like people are still having problems. It's a shame, because they are otherwise very nice little cars.

[​IMG]

18. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

cant have it all... i wanted to buy Mini long time ago but those Mini forums are serious detractors :)

19. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    When it comes to reliability, you should worry too much with new cars. The German ADAC reliability survey, for instance, has the Mini as the most reliable in its class: Ranking awaryjno

20. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

only ADAC stats have german cars as more reliable.

just go to the mini boards and check our problems reported... thats what I would do.

p.s. i wanted to buy mini back in early 2000's, but after checking their forums, i decided not to.