1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My custom sub enclosure w/ pics

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by bballfreak150, Aug 10, 2009.

1. MikeDS

MikeDS Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow, looks pretty good! Do you mind if I ask how much all that cost? Did you guys explore the factory tweeter location?

2. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm definitely impressed with the midrage/tweeter install, and the sub enclosure. I would love to put a pair of the 4" 2-way Infinity speakers in about the stock tweeter location, but they just won't fit. Maybe I can design a new enclosure that sits about in the same place. Will investigate that.

I too agree that, while the stock head unit isn't exactly audiophile quality, it's not all that bad. I'm lucky in that I don't have the JBL issues, and probably could have changed out the head unit because I don't have built-in nav. However, I wanted the steering wheel controls to continue to work, and the touchscreen to control the usual stock stereo functions.

3. shawnb2

shawnb2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Well there are certainly aftermarket head units that with an adapter can control the radio functions through the steering wheel controls. Don't go away from changing if you're worried about that. be sure to have an installer that knows what they're doing because it's a little confusing even for me who likes doing this type of stuff and have since I've had my license. Has it been 20 years already? Oh boy..... Anyways, I know for sure alot of the Alpine units do it as well as Pioneer and am sure most brands do these days. As for your questions Mike, no as far as pulling off the grills. I knew I wanted to do the pods from the get go and by the sounds of it the factory speakers there are going to work out great for my next venture. Once I recover from the financial hit on this project. I'm sure I spent well above what most will think is logical and understandable, but with the amount of time I spend in my car and with as much as I enjoy being in it, I couldn't do anything less than high end everything. I will say it was at about $5k with everything, labor included. Hurt a bit as it was beyond what I was expecting but the final result will be well worth it. More updates to come. Dinner time now though. Have a good night all.

4. MikeDS

MikeDS Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Cool, thanks...I definitely understand wanting exceptional sound in your car (I'm an audio engineer by trade). I'm curious about those panels the factory tweeters are in...if there was a decent tweeter or small coax that could fit in there that could be a nice spot for it...I think the numbers we saw from someone elses post showed a 2.5" squawker in there...not aware of a 2.5" aftermarket speaker...someday someone needs to pull that grill and take a picture!!! :D

5. PriusLewis

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm fairly certain it's a 1". The Infinity tweeter looks like it should fit nicely. You can buy them as part of a two-piece 2-way, or separately with their own crossover. Here's an example:

2 INFINITY REFERENCE 1021T 1-in SILK DOME CAR TWEETERS - eBay (item 290341113006 end time Sep-17-09 05:47:32 PDT)

or the 2-piece - Reference first:

NEW INFINITY REFERENCE 6020cs 6.5" COMPONENTS BRAND NEW - eBay (item 280364931060 end time Sep-27-09 08:29:58 PDT)

Here's the 2-piece Kappa:

NEW INFINITY KAPPA 60.9cs 6.5" COMPONENTS ***BRAND NEW! - eBay (item 250460128584 end time Sep-05-09 10:07:21 PDT)

I believe usbseawolf2000 here on the board instaled the Infinity Kappa 2-piece with the midrange in the door and the tweeter in the stock upper tweeter location. I made the mistake of getting 4 coaxial 2-way Reference speakers. I should have bought 2 coaxial 2-ways for the back doors, and 2 separates for the front doors. Now I plan to replace the stock tweeters with the 1" Reference tweeters listed first above. That will give me 6 tweeters, 4 midrange and 1 subwoofer total (probably overkill on the tweeters, but oh, well...). If I could find a use for 2 of the coaxials, I'd get the separates for the front doors. I guess I need to check all my kids cars to see if any of them could make use of my 2 front door speakers...

6. MikeDS

MikeDS Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have you removed the dash grill? Any tips on removing it?

7. warpedhifi

warpedhifi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Shawnb2, very nice install! I have not decided what to do with mine yet, Coming from a 2400Watt system to factory system in the Prius is a big change, want to do something different but not sure yet.

8. shawnb2

shawnb2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thank you. Can't wait until it's really done. Hate to lose my center console storage but it's all in the name of good sound and being stealth. Hopefully by mid-October it will be done. Need to recover from the financial pain of the first stage. Should be amazing though. I will keep you guys updated as things progress. I will start a new thread though as I feel bad that I kinda highjacked this thread without meaning to. Keep an eye out for it. I will re-post my pictures there as well.

9. PriusLewis

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dash grill??? :noidea:

10. MikeDS

MikeDS Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Those grills up in the corners of the dash...thats where the factor tweeters are...

11. PriusLewis

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, sorry - I have a Gen II, and they're on the doors. don't know about the Gen III.

12. e money

e money New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hooked a kenwood 1800 watt amp to the small battery in back and im pretty sure i drained it of all its power. i know under the hood there is a positive terminal and does anyone if i could hook up the sub to that and maybe draw more power so i dont have to live without my bass?

13. priusrick

priusrick Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'd love to get a setup with the sub like that. Are you making more sets?