1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My daily commute: Hypermiling vs. Not

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by F8L, Aug 15, 2012.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So I refilled the tank yesterday and decided to see what would happen if I just drove the car for a day without using any hypermiling tricks and stuck to the speed limit instead of 5mph under. Ohh and use the A/C. ;

I used yesterday's commute as my baseline. It was pretty damn good but not my best.

Baseline: mostly freeway at 60mph. No AC. Gliding whenever possible. Morning temp 70-75F, Afternoon temp 104-109F. Results Morning: 57.8mpg, Afternoon: 86.9mpg, Average: 72.35mpg

Test: mostly freeway at 65mph. AC set at 78F. No gliding. Just get in and drive without looking at the HSI. Morning temp 71-75F, Afternoon temp 98-100F. Results Morning: 52mpg, Afternoon: 67mpg, Average: 59.5mpg

Difference: -12.85mpg

Driving conditions were nearly identical except it was a little cooler today and twice I had to accelerate a little harder than normal since I ventured out of the slow lane and needed to manuever out of the way of slower and faster moving traffic. :/

I found this little exercise enlightening. While my mpg without hypermiling is not bad by any means, it is not anywhere near what it could be with a little effort. The drive was sorta boring too. lol

To be fair, my baseline is a little higher than my average numbers but since I had pictures of those I used it because I couldn't remember my exact numbers otherwise. Still, I normally get at least 80mpg in the afternoon and 54mpg in the morning. Using those numbers (67mpg) the difference is still 7.5mpg. If I used my best numbers of 90mpg Afternoon and 58.7mpg in the morning (74.35mpg) the difference is 14.35mpg.

Anyway, just a fun little exercise. Thanks for reading. :)

fuzzy1 likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    those are some incredible mpg's! you're no bob wilson, but you're getting there!:p

F8L likes this.
  3. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I could make a graph of this. LOL

Rae Vynn likes this.
  4. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Try to get those numbers on your gen II.

5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah right! LOL

Today's afternoon commute at my usual 60mph but not as careful as I usually am resulted in 83.6mpg. The morning commute started off a little fast but even after slowing down I only ended up with 53.9mpg.

6. Jon Hagen

Jon Hagen Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Intereating numbers !!! What changes in the afternoon that accounts for the much higher MPG ???

We pretty well stay at the posted speed limit or a bit above (65-75) in traffic, so our average is Mid to high 50's depending on wind and other conditions. We get into the low 60's when conditions allow.

Best to date was on an aprox 30 mile drive through a state park. Max speed limit was 35 mph with lots of slow gentle driving. We filled up just before heading into the park and did a "Trip A" reset at the gate.

Indicated MPG edged up to a final high of 105 MPG at about the 7/8 route mark, but backed down to 95 by the time we climed the last several miles back to the gate. Could this have been an accurate number caused by the very gentle slow drive, or was it a glitch in the trip computer ???

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Elevation. Downhill does better than uphill.

8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Jon,

My commute in the morning is uphill and cooler temps. In the evening since I'm going downhill I am able to do a long section of high speed gliding (warp stealth). Warmer temps decrease warm up time and decrease rolling resistance so mpg is always better as long as you don't use A/C.

On your state park trip, how did you see 105mpg on the display? Scangauge

9. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Yes that is a big one.

My commute has very little elevation change the biggest being a bridge about 125 feet but that is the same both way other wise less then 100 feet perhaps.....

My afternoon return is always better on normal days ... which I attributed to warmer air and at work I park in a garage which is kind of heated. Engine warm up cycle is finished before exiting !!!

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is my afternoon commute. Obviously reverse it for morning commute. :)

[​IMG]

11. Jon Hagen

Jon Hagen Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Been two years, but I thought I remember the 3 digit mpg number on the "trip A " read out . Am I mistaken that the trip A readout can display 3 numbers plus 10ths ???

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The mpg display only does 2 digits then a decimal for the 10ths. So no triple digit readouts without a scan gauge or something. :(

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks bob, that's what i'm talking about!:p

F8L likes this.
  15. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Stop me before I hyper mile again!

You probably can't help but hypermile vs. "normal". I'm guessing the 59.5 average is our Scangauge miles which would translate to 62.5 mpg on the Toyota gauge.

I don't think it is possible to get 62.5 mpg from a 50 mpg car without a lot of hypermiling. Even at 59.5, it would take a fair amount of working it to get 20% better than rated mileage.

Plus don't you have 17 in wheels which cut into the base 50 mpg rating?

Probably after driving a Prius for a while, the training effect is such that Prius drivers can never drive "normal".

I did discover that using EV mode at stops, I'm faster away from the light than big Diesel pickups so we are no more annoying on EV mode than the big rig Diesel pickup good ole boys.

16. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nah, I was using the Prius display not corrected mpg. So the 59.5mpg is more like 56.5mpg calculated. I wanted to keep things simple. :)

I was trying my best to forget I know anything about hypermiling but I didn't drive fast or aggressively either. Since the EPA has specific testing procedures it is natural to assume that most people will see different results be it better or worse. I also have great tires and I left them inflated at 47/45psi. So that accounts for something as does the hot temperatures.

17. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have the same elevation change for my commute. Charging at both ends I get 80 mpg going up and 300 mpg return.

18. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You did note that you were going at the speed limit for normal driving and 5 mph under when hypermiling, what was your average speed on the whole commute? I think that speed is a very big factor, maybe even bigger than your hypermiling technic.

19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Before 2008, the EPA Highway label figure was simply the CAFE highway test cycle measurement discounted by 22%. A driver who matched the highway test profile could expect more than 20% over the EPA label.

Since then the formula has become more complex, weighting in some additional tests, producing a deeper discount from that old highway cycle. But the test numbers are published, and cwerdna has frequently posted the link to those results. The 2010+ Prius liftback tests out a hair over 70 mpg on that basic highway profile.

20. MattPersman

MattPersman Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    when I go to my parents house 240 miles away I set the cruise to 62 and get around 64-65 mpg depending on outside temp. no hypermiling on the highway just straight cruise control. it is rated at 48 on the highway.

on vacation my wife and parents loaded up my Prius drove 13xx miles cruise control at 77 mph on the 70 mph zones no hypermiling and mountain driving (we went to the smoky mountains and lookout mountain) still got 52.x mpg for the trip just driving like a normal person with AC, left the AC on when in parking lots, etc and high mph. these things just perform.

F8L likes this.