1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My daily commute: Hypermiling vs. Not

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by F8L, Aug 15, 2012.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Damn PIP owners! :p

Is the mileage about the same? Mine is 49miles one way. I've always been curious how the PIP would do on my route. I really like them.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The average speed should be about 5mph since that is the only thing I changed and there were not man big rigs out which sometimes causes me to drop well below 60mph for a few miles. This can significantly change my mpg for that trip. My best afternoon commute was a result of being stuck behind several big rigs doing 55mph for a few miles while going up and over overpasses. That trip ended at 90mpg. :)

In the end, I consider the 5mph drop in speed part of my hypermiling technique. Because I don't have a lot of opportunities to pulse & glide on the freeway my two main techniques are reduced speed and gliding on overpasses. The other main difference is taking a parallel levee road so I can drive at 50-55mph instead of 60-70mph for about 3miles or so.

Because everyone's conditions vary considerably and hypermiling techniques are so personalized this was not meant to be a scientific experiment. It was just a way to see if taking a little extra time and putting in more effort was worth it. Even using my lower estimates I would say it is totally worth it given the large number of miles I drive each year. :)

3. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    32 miles each direction

F8L likes this.
  4. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    On your big decline, are you able to recharge up your PIP battery? If so, how many miles do you "save up"?

5. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I charge at work. Have to actually do the first major down hill in neutral to avoid the ice turning on to absorb the extra energy.