1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Daughter only got 40.5 mpg!!!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Schmika, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Schmika

Schmika New Member

My 18 year old daughter went up to Toledo with me so I could buy a used truck. That is about a 150 mile trip. She drove the Prius home and I drove the truck. She left ahead of me so I never saw her after that. She took the car to my house and parked it.

I got into the Prius this morning and saw the MFD. 40.5!!!!!!! I have never been under 48 and that was when it was real cold.

I called her later and mentioned the amazingly low mileage. Her reply.......

"I'll bet that car has never gone that fast before". HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

(She said she averaged 85)

Of course, that blows away those guys arguments that they can only get mid 30's. 85MPH and still 40 mpg.

What a car!!!!!!!

(This topic was not intended to imply I approve of her speeding, quite the opposite, I told her that she is NEVER to acknowledge her relationship to me should she be caught speeding. She is also likely to NEVER see the view from behind the steering wheel in my Prius again)

2. Spunky

Spunky New Member

Research argues that the architecture of the human brain is not complete until an average age of 22. The last neurons to get "hooked up" involve the centers that control judgement.

But you probably know that from your work experiences - young folks are incapable of seeing the world as a whole, do not accept the facts of their birth and death, do not consider themselves mortal.

Your 18-year-old is more ikely to brag about giving her pop a scare than to have thought through the possible consequences of her actions.

3. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I drive the Bowling Green-Toledo, Bowling Green-Findlay stretch of I-75 all the time (as you are likely aware Schmika :)) And it is not th least beit uncommon to see people routinely flying up and down 75 at 80-85+ MPH... now usually they have michigan or ontario plates on the car, but considering the relative lack of traffic around this part of I-75, its pretty easy to do... although she is lucky to not have gotten caught (unles they found a michigan car going 100mph and decided to go after them instead :p)

4. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

There was a girl in high school who wanted to be a race car driver. Well, one day she was racing around in her station wagon, took a corner too fast, hit some rocks, got the car up on two wheels, and blew two tires.

Of course, her dad was not pleased. His only response however was to say, "Young lady, you'd better slow down."

They got the tires fixed pretty quick, and of course she was back to the usual driving within a couple of days.

5. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The freeway part of my commute, about half of the 40 miles each way, is done at Southern California freeway speeds ... 70 to 80 MPH. I rarely get under 70, unless there's traffic (and on my route, there rarely is a slow down.) I average 46 to 48 MPG. That's nearly triple the mileage I was getting from my Explorer Sporttrac.

The MFD reports pretty good mileage even at 75 MPH.

6. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    maybe she let 1/2 of the air out of the tires, drove uphill the whole way or stopped every 5 minutes. I had a terrible tank of only 39!!! changed tires and need to tinker with the inflation, was only driving afew blocks at time and it was cold out .......wrote it off as part of the learning curve...

7. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(barbaram @ Apr 2 2006, 10:51 PM) [snapback]233995[/snapback]</div>
    well if you've ever been to northwest and/or west-central ohio, you'd know that going "uphill" is a difficult thing to do as it is FLAT... and I really mean FLAT... like a hill is a 1 degree slope... more than that is practically a mountain... it is sort of hill down by the Dayton/Miami valley area, but not really..

8. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Spunky @ Apr 2 2006, 10:10 PM) [snapback]233972[/snapback]</div>
    That last part is 100% true. As far as the neurons...good point. Believe it or not, she was in a horrendous crash where she was the passenger and won't RIDE with people who drive too fast.

She has no problem with doing it herself because she (feels) she is under control. Kinda like her Dad used to be 26 yrs ago! :lol: :lol: :lol:

9. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Apr 3 2006, 09:54 AM) [snapback]234113[/snapback]</div>
    No, see, this is the "politically correct"/default to the side of safety/not to shock society so everyone doesn't do it/statement.

There ARE people that are IN CONTROL, AND can drive well above stated speed limits SAFELY, which we ALL know are structured, to a large extent, towards revenue generation. I'd rather have a fully focused driver blow by me at 100 than some chick babbling on the phone in her SUV at 50 who can't seem to keep her Yukon from wandering all over the place...

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 3 2006, 09:48 AM) [snapback]234120[/snapback]</div>
    It has nothing at all to do with whether the driver is "in control"...I repeat, nothing. Give me an open freeway with no traffic and all possible hazards taken into account and I'll drive 100, 120, whatever "in control" and be quite safe. No question.

But there are too many uncontrolled variables. The speed limits are set to account for those variables, not the perported/percieved skill of the individual driver.

To use your drivers...the guy blowing by "in control" at 100 has to pass your 'chick' going 50 at some point, if she proceeds to wander into his lane as he approaches b/c of a combination of her inattention and his increased speed (which reduces the amount of time she has to notice him and for him to notice her wandering pattern) his reaction time is dramatically reduced, his braking distance is increased, his chance of death from impact and/or loss of control is increased, his chance of careening into another vehicle and killing them as well is increased b/c his car will travel farther and with more momentum.

Dealing daily with victims of MVAs the thing you hear over and over is "it happened so fast"...the car just pulled out before I realized it, this guy walked out in the road, that guy changed lanes in front of me....whatever.

It does no good to blame someone else who's responsible if you had been "in control" but going too fast for the vehicle to avoid the accident.

Yes, there are areas set up for 'revenue generation', but I can't help but feel that's a rationalization to those who just want to go faster and blame someone else for that recklessness.

11. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 3 2006, 10:58 AM) [snapback]234124[/snapback]</div>
    I disagree, to a large extent at that. An in "control" operator successfully anticipates these "variables" you speak of. Of course, there are different degrees of this as well, you can only pay soooo much attention to so many things at once. Obviously, a "human" cannot go, let's say, flying through the streets of Manhattan at a constant 100mph anticipating everything, it's out of our "range". Some people shouldn't speed on an empty highway, while others are perfectly capable of safely exceeding the speed limits in other environments.

Bottom line is, if everyone were deeply interested, and paid far more attention to the art of operating a vehicle, we could slam the brakes ( :D ) on vehicular maladies to a large extent. Most people behind the wheel are not like this, although everyone THINKS they are...

I know plenty of people out there who drive/ride what you and schmeek would likely consider "reckless", and have done so for YEARS. ALL luck? Doubt it. Much to the chagrin of people like schmika and society in general, responsible speeding does, in fact, EXIST. Of course, we can't go advertising that FACT can we?

12. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What can we say clergy, cops & goverment employees kids are the worst ones (the ones your parents warned you about) LOL....

That sounds about rite, I averaged between 40.0mpg @ 85mph & 53mpg @ 58mph driving to texas..

13. Mystery Squid

she doesn't even need to go 85 to drag it down to 40... Simply accelerating hard from stops often will do it too, and varieties thereof. Couple a driving style like that and use of the heat... well, you know...

She should have "accidentally" hit RESET... :lol:

14. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 3 2006, 12:31 PM) [snapback]234152[/snapback]</div>
    I forgot about that, I got in the car and the heat was set on 80 degrees. Of course, only an 18 yr old goes out in the mid 40's weather with just capri pants, flip flops, and a light short sleeve shirt.

COVER UP YOUNG LADY!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

15. Spunky

Spunky New Member

Anyone know the most recent death rates on the Autobahn?

The drivers who use it will claim to be in complete control, traveling with slower drivers who accomodate speed demons.