1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My dealer patched my tire

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Graz, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Graz

Graz Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes I have fixed the problem.

I won $300.00 on a football pool for the 2007 Superbowl and bought a brand new full set of tires (see sig). I am very happy with them, I get better mileage, and I didn't pay as much as the OEM.

BTW: I still boycott Apple products. And I still love my Prius!

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    High pressure will not make a good patch fail. The higher the pressure the more force to hold the patch against the inside of the tyre near the hole.

3. kocho

kocho Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is amazing that...

... no one actually checked the tire to tell where the leak is coming from before blaming the patchwork. Unless I missed that part among the "friendly" exchanges about music and PSI ratings :)

Anyway, the leak may not at all be from the patch! Poor valve or mounting is a very likely cause as well.

I have a set of good michelins mounted on good rims on my Camry and one of them has been losing pressure at a rate of aprroximately 10PSI per month whether I drive or not. Since new and it has no patches or holes and has been like that for the past year/20K miles or more - no worsening or improvement. I have been pumping it up regularly rather than repair - I can't muster the courage to waste 100 gallons of water to fill my bath tub to see where the leak is coming from, nor do I want to spend the money to get a shop do it (contrary to some posts, it is way more than $10 where I live as it requires precision balancing with flat weights on my rims)...

On the other hand, an external $3 "plug" that I applied on my Prius OEM tire after a nail hole seems to work well at about 42PSI cold with no leaks. Knock on wood - hopefully it will last till my new set of tires is due in a few K miles...