1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Dream System

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Grren4ever, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Hello Folks,

I am in the process of ordering my dream sound system system for the Prius. It consists of:

-Alpine perfect fit dash kit ($200)
    -Alpine INE-Z928HD AVN unit - 8 inch display ($1100)
    -Alpine PDX-V9 5 Channel Amp ($405)
    -JL Audio C3-650 convertible components x 2 ($500 for the pair)
    -no subwoofer planned yet but the 5 channel amp can accommodate one in the future :)

I decided to splurge on the car stereo since at my condo, my neighbors (or the Miss) will complain when the music is too loud - the Prius is my little haven. I listen to almost everything except rock and country and I favor quality of sound over quantity.

All these products have had excellent reviews online with the head unit having mixed reviews. If anyone has personal experience with the head unit and can share some info about it, including sound quality as well as if fuel consumption info can be displayed on it, I would be tremendously grateful.

I most likely won't have pictures or reviews of this system until Feb 2014 since I will also have to save a few hundred dollars for the high quality installation job at a shop. Can't wait to have great music and navigation in the car (see pict for example of identical dash kit and 8 inch Alpine head unit)

Cheers, and Merry Christmas to all on the forum!

Attached Files:

• l.jpg
      l.jpg
      File size:
      41 KB
      Views:
  2. 3264884

3264884 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have the Alpine headunit and it works well. I have a periodic issue with the GPS where it wont be able to see the satellites and I resolve the issue by resetting the unit. I keep a paperclip in the glovebox for this purpose.

I get one of the early units, installed Nov 2012 and the original firmware only allowed you to call a favorite phone number that was pre-programmed. The phone keypad and phone book were only accessible if you were in the setup mode, handbrake on and the car in park.

A later firmware release allowed you to access the phone keypad and your phone book.

You will lose all the car display functions that were available on the factory radio. I didn't see this as a big loss since this info was available on the display. The Alpine steering wheel control module does not integrate the phone buttons on the steering wheel. You will need to pick up calls by clicking on the radio display.

As for sound quality, I can't compare since like you I replaced all the speakers and installed a amp to run derive the speakers. I went with Hertz Energy speakers and a Hertz 4 channel amp. The system sounds awesome.

3. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Hi 3264884,

Appreciate the reply! Regarding loss of consumption data on the viewscreen, are the vehicle settings options going to not be accessible once the new head unit is in as well? (see attached photos)

If I can't access these options anymore, it doesn't matter but I do hope that the "brain" of the car can remember these settings in the event of a dead battery. I wonder if when the battery in the trunk is disconnected, the vehicle settings revert back to default?

Any ideas? Thanks again.

Attached Files:

4. 3264884

3264884 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

None of these options are accessible with the Alpine. I can't comment if the vehicle will retain the settings if battery goes dead. In the worse case scenario, you could reconnect the factory radio to change the settings. The Alpine Perfect-fit kit comes with a harness so the installer should not have to cut the factory harness to connect the new radio.

5. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius