1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Duinomite Mega Canview V4 equivalent Project

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by lopezjm2001, Jul 19, 2012.

?
  1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Prefer to use Android Torque device

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Prefer to use Scangauge

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I dont' have a real good handle on the control structure, but I'm talking about the basic PSD operation as simulated here:
    Toyota Prius - Power Split Device

My understanding is that the Prius will typically run "true EV" (ICE start delay mode) up to 34mph. If the SOC/CDL limits are amenable the it can run in "stealth" EV mode up to 42mph. At 42mph MG1 has reached its spec limit of 6500rpm for a gen 2. There is as I recall an opinion that it can be run up to 10k rpm based on the early toyota PiP prototypes behavior, but the official "known safe" limit is 6500rpm. Above 42mph the ICE has to spin to keep MG1 from going beyond 6500 rpm. This is basically the "warp stealth" EV mode again seen if SOC/CDL and terrain conditions are amenable. I've never really understood how they spin the ICE without fuel, but my guess is you have to put a certain amount of "forward" current into MG1 while its spinning backwards to hold its rpm constant and consequently spinning the ICE almost like the starter mode but w/o fuel. This makes warp stealth less efficient than stealth, as you are wasting a certain amount of current into MG1.

My assumption is that OOG mode works pretty much just like warp stealth mode above 42mph, only w/o the same SOC/CDL restrictions? So the question then is depending on what commands you are modifying to prevent the ICE from starting, will the system still work the same way? IE will MG1 still be driven to maintain its rpms and spin the ICE (if that's how it works).

Don't know if that makes any sense ;)

Rob

2. lopezjm2001

lopezjm2001 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    After some thought about this ICE spoofing function I think that a seperate microprocessor needs to be used to spoof the ICE due to the timing issue as once the original message is received it needs to resend the modified as quick as possible and reliably. So the ICE spoofing function needs to be done by a second Duinomite Mega "ICE SPOOFER". However the ICE spoofing can be switched ON or OFF from the primary Duinomite Mega "Canview V4".

It is just a matter of naming the ICE SPOOFER with a frame header ID such as H667 and H666 for the Duinomite Mega Canview V4 so the two devices can communicate on the Canbus. I do not think that the two headers IDs would conflict with any existing header IDs.

Any further thoughts, anybody?

3. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In oog mode the ice does not spin.
    You have a speed limit if around 90 kmph.

-Tapatalk

4. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Great information Rob.

After reading it all in reference as to whether the ICE spins or not in OOG mode.

So lets say the Canview is correct and that the ICE is not spinning and the ICE RPM is zero. Then according to our equation MG1 will run at -2.6 x 2975rpm = -7735 rpm. This would put MG1 rpm over the software limit of 6500 rpm. I am assuming that the software limit for MG1 RPM applies to both directions.

Under normal operation the ICE does not spin the front wheels unless a voltage is applied to MG1 which then causes the ring gear to turn. Otherwise all the energy is directed to the sun gear/MG1.

5. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is also torque sensor on the ICE and when the ICE is spinning and not using any gas you will get negative value. I think if your CAN view is showing 0 rpm then the ICE is not spinning.

What you describe, when MG1 is also acting like generator, this behavior can be provoked in every Prius with B mode and steep downhill (battery at full charge). You can control ICE rpm with gentle push of the gas pedal on the downhill. Or letting your foot of the pedals at higher speed.

Maximum values of MG1 are said to be around 10.000 rpm, the car normally will never go over 6.500.

6. planetaire

planetaire Plug in 20 kWh 85 km/h or > 208km range

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Lopezjm2001.

Using a gen 2, in OOG mode ICE don't spin. This is what we read on the can bus.
    As you said max speed is 85 km/h then MG1 rpm is near 8500 (in D mode). This MG1 rpm is also read on can bus using a sollicited pid. 8500 rpm is a software limit.
    As everybody knows MG1 max speed is 10 000 rpm. This happens when ICE has to send a lot of power to MG2 (something like 33 kW), so during a heavy acceleration.
    I don't know if MG1 can spin at 10 000 rpm permanently. May be some bearing problem in long term ?
    So you could drive up to 100-110 km/h without ice spinning.

But 85 km/h is not the maximum possible in OOG mode !!
    I do a drive test going down a hill, at 85 km/h, leave D mode and select N mode. My car speed increase and of course MG1 rpm increase too. (I wait until speed decrease under 85 km/h in order to go back to D mode.)

6500 rpm was a MG1 gen 1 limit and gave 66 km/h threshold.
    In gen 2, this is more a hybrid_ecu threshold than a MG1 limit.

:)

[email protected] likes this.
  7. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Good comments all! Lopez, your thoughts on the second controller seem to make sense. Guessing that's why PIS does it as an add on ECM to their main controller. Comments on OOG mode are interesting, and seem to make sense in terms of limiting the speed rather than spinning the ICE to keep MG1 in bounds. This would seem to be further evidence that PIS is not using OOG mode for their high speed EV mode, eliminating the OOG speed limit. I think that takes us back to where we were, depending on what messages are spoofed to achieve high speed EV the hybrid controller may take care of the MG1 rpm limit on its own (if it looks more like warp stealth), or it may need some help from add on controller if you are depriving it of the info it needs to keep MG1 safe.

In warp stealth does the CAN-View seem to accurately report ICE rpms when its spinning but not running?

Rob

8. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i jjust found this device

its a nice and not to expensif touchscreen lcd with a serial connection

Welcome - vizic technologies

maybe something to think about.

i got a 4 wires lcd on order ( from DX for just like say 10 dollars ) and hope to get that working with the duinomite as a cheap and small ( place it in the little box beneet the radio ) replacement for a touchscreen.
    with external buttons like PHEV on and off basic operation would be possible.

but first i have to get my arduino to work as a BMS so i can use the duinomite for this.
    currenly i am still waiting for my second 4 relay board so i can bench test the arduino basic BMS/charger control.

9. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Not a bad find. But it only has a screen resolution of 320 x 240 and the actual size of the LCD is 37mm x 49mm - bit too small. However the Smart GPU allows all the features to be used by the Duinomite Mega (via serial interface) including colour , touch screen and a micro SD storage device. The screen is a bit too small for my liking. Maybe they have one with a way bigger screen then I would really consider getting one.

10. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    well i want it to be placed somewhere people can not see it when they want to break into my car ;-)

no i always have to take the lilliput screen out ot fthe car with me when i park it somewhere.

but first i hope to get a 2x16 or 4x20 lcd screen working on the duinomite ( stil not recieved it )
    i want to place it right here.

behind the dark glass plastic cover

it would be a nice hidden finisch with some buttons on the side to switch phev.

[​IMG]

11. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess it may look something like having a ScangaugeII installed in this cavity being much smaller than a 7" LCD screen.

12. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I am planning to include a page showing how MG1, ICE and MG2 inter relate as shown at this shortcut that was supplied by Rob - Toyota Prius - Power Split Device

PSD.png
    My page will show real time values. The one at this shortcut is probably for a gen 1 Prius so I may have to adjust it for Gen2 Prius. It may help us to get a better understanding of the internal working of the Gen2 Prius. I would like to include torque values but where do I get a torque value for the ICE? Also include a load value, throttle and brake values. You will be able to see how they relate to each other during different stages i.e. take off from still, acceleration, deceleration at different speeds and reverse.

Incase you have not seen the shortcut the PSD is made up of three components :

1. Sun gear, located in the middle and is connected to MG1.
    2. Planetary gears x4 which are driven by the ICE.
    3. Ring gear, located on the outside which drives the wheels indirectly. Mg2 also drives the ring gear.

The way I understand it, the ICE cannot apply torque to the wheels unless a voltage or a load is applied to MG1. So in OOG mode MG2 runs at a maximum speed of 3000 rpm which drives the wheels at a maximum limit of 85kph to limit the rpm of MG1 to -7800 rpm. Even though MG1 rpm has a software limit of 7800 rpm it can probaly go as fast as 10000 rpm.

PSD_PAGE.png

You can see a youtube video in action at :

I only ever see MG1 act as a motor to spin the ICE at 965rpm and whilst starting the ICE, presumably to take away the otherwise high starting torque (low rpm) during starting of the ICE. At ICE startup from cold MG1 should take most of the load and allow the ICE to idle at 1250 rpm until it reaches 40 ro 50 deg. C.
    Otherwise MG1 only acts as a generator, MG1 does not apply torque when Prius drives in reverse mode.

jdh2550 likes this.
  13. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  14. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yes only the scangauge got a nice housing haha this is the bare lcd screen with board.n
    its a lot cheaper then a touch lcd screen its easy to hide and it wil give some basic info like voltage amps and if your in PHEV or normal mode.
    a switch beside it for phev mode and for DTC reset and basic functions are there for a nice setup i hope.

15. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    here is a good video that shows the gearset in a simple way

jdh2550 likes this.
  16. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    also intressing it seems that the oil pomp also runs when MG1 is spinning.
    look at 23:55 min
    so you dont need to have the ice running one's every time and would also explain wy nobody to date got any trouble with that even going back years with the calcars guys that also where already doing far les ice running.

jdh2550 and [email protected] like this.
  17. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Planetaire,

I tried doing the above to see whether I could exceed 85kph going down a steep hill and it would not go into N mode. It just stayed in D mode. I drive slight downhill at 85kph every day going to work in OOG mode.

OK I got it into N mode. Just needed to keep the stick in N mode for a longer period of time. The wind resistance slowed me down. The road gradient needs to be a lot steeper to exceed 85 kph. I found that at 85 kph MG2 peaked at 3000 rpm and MG1 peaked at -7800 rpm which is very close to my calculated MG1 rpm of -7735 rpm. The values were monitored using Norm's Canview.

[email protected] likes this.
  18. jdh2550

jdh2550 Co-Founder, Current Motor Company

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    FWD - Excellent videos, thanks for posting. However, they both make it quite explicit that the oil pump is driven off of the ICE engine. For example in the second video at around 6:20 or so "anytime the engine is spinning this is spinning".

Later on, at 23:55 they do say that the oil pump is spinning when MG1 is spinning or the ICE is spinning. However, the job of MG1 is to spin the engine (when acting as a starter motor). So the oil pump is spinning because MG1 is spinning the ICE.

It's important to differentiate between "spinning" and "running". In the above (and all other discussion I've read) "spinning" refers to the engine being spun but not producing power whereas running means that the engine is operating (suck, squeeze, bang, blow - the 4 cycles of an engine) and consuming fuel to produce power.

If we're going to want to run on electric only mode for extended periods of time (and I'm talking weeks on end of commuting - not a single run or two) then we'll want to spin the engine so that we can lubricate the transmission. I don't know if anyone has done a side-by-side tear down of a CalCar transaxle compared to a regular one. That might highlight a difference in wear levels.

Also, just because a transaxle has not been lubricating properly doesn't mean "instant death" like it might with a combustion engine because the temperatures and speeds are different. Also, if those CalCars do high speed runs with the engine turning then the transaxle will lubricate. I don't know how long a transaxle would go if the pump never run. But if the Toyota engineers intended for a pump to lubricate the transaxle then it seems to make sense to make sure it operates...

BTW - I think almost all modern cars (if not every single one?) use a hall sensor (or similar) to sense engine speed. It used to be they would drive the tachometer from the firing of the engine (effectively feedback from the distributor). This would mean that you wouldn't measure any RPM if the motor was spinning but not running. This is just an "interesting" side point - I don't think it has any impact on what we're doing.

19. jdh2550

jdh2550 Co-Founder, Current Motor Company

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I love this gadget - I could play with it all day! I saw that a year or so ago when I first started the research on this (before abandoning things for a while). I couldn't remember the link - so thanks for the post!

I don't think that's right - the MG1 can be acting as a generator (and thus producing voltage) when MG2 is spinning. MG2 is what is attached (via a chain, some carrier gears and a differential) to the driving wheels.

I agree with this statement. However, the important piece missing is that in this situation ICE rpm is zero. If ICE rpm is allowed to be higher than zero then MG2 can spin faster without forcing MG1 > 6500 rpm. If ICE spins at ~1200 rpm then MG2 can spin fast enough for a road speed of 70mph and MG1 is still < 6500 rpm.

How does one spin the ICE without burning gas? That must have to do with the smarts in the inverter. In my mental model I imagine it as a more mechanical system with MG1 "slipping" such that it doesn't go over 6500 rpm and in turn this causes the engine to turn. The power to make this happen is coming from the battery pack and from MG1 because MG1 is acting as a generator (spinning "backwards" in the above gadget). Clever stuff, and I have absolutely no clue of the EE theory or the mechanical state of the engine (pumping losses and the like)*.

I'm just hoping that if I set the appropriate parameters on the CAN bus that we can make this happen. I know that pEEf achieved it. To me this is the key that makes pEEf's approach the preferred approach and is why I'm doing yaPIP to recreate his work.

* BTW, I do know enough that turning over an engine for a long period of time takes a bunch of energy. Because the Toyota engineers didn't optimize for this situation it might be that this is terribly inefficient (i.e. sucks the battery down more quickly). On the other hand, I do know that modern cars are pretty effective at coasting by operating their valve trains differently. Or at least I think so - once again this is an area where I know very little (just enough to be dangerous?!)

Another point which this brings up is that 70mph is apparently when the electric motor runs out of power. That's just the limit of the amount of power MG2 can produce by itself (again, Toyota didn't optimize for a situation they never intended the car to be used in). 70 mph isn't a mechanical limit, it's probably not a software limit either.

20. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    in OOG mode the Mg1 is also spinning so if mg1 is spinning then the pomp can also spin.
    but maybe your right ( and also loooking at the video ) that the way they are spinning = what is spinning also and it what dirrection.. thats part of how the gearset works .
    so mg1 can be spinning without the ice or oil pomp spining i geuss.

think someone needs to make a video inside the motor compartment to see if the fuel pomp turns at any point.
    maybe when breaking using B mode? it turns? when in OOG mode.