1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Engine Block Heater install

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Rangerdavid, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm willing to guess that the consensus on here will be, "Save your money." Of course, I don't have one, so my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt.

2. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusFTW @ Mar 29 2007, 04:12 PM) [snapback]414400[/snapback]</div>
    Having watched Fire Engineer install mine, I "might" be able to do one myself, but I'm very glad that I didn't attempt it my myself first. There are several threads on here, and even some doit yourself pictures and instructions if you want to try. Good Luck!! it sure is worth having it IMHO> :D

P.S. update on mileage since the install, last two tanks i'm averaging 54.3 mpg. and I'm dang happy with that !!

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusFTW @ Mar 29 2007, 03:12 PM) [snapback]414400[/snapback]</div>
    Difficult is hard to define. There is absolutly nothing technically difficult to do here...if you can put a round peg in a round hole and you can plug in your computer into the wall then you can do the EBH install.

The problem is you have to put the round peg in the round hole while laying on your back with grease covering the peg reaching through a tiny hole in the hardware to get to the hole that you can't see while using only the tips of your fingers to manipulate the peg. Then you have to align the triangular plug into the triangular socket without being able to see the socket.

If you're fairly limber, fairly patient, don't mind getting dirty and can follow simple instructions this is something you can easily do for free... I strongly urge you to NOT spend the $160 at the dealer until you've at least rolled your car up on some ramps and tried for 30min to an hour to do it yourself. You've got nothing to lose and if you simply can't do it then you can decide if it's worth the $160 to you.

4. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusFTW @ Mar 29 2007, 01:12 PM) [snapback]414400[/snapback]</div>
    My dealer service manager says there is no such thing as an EBH for the Prius, that I'd have to have a freeze plug drilled out to install an aftermarket one..... :blink: so I don't plan to take my Toyota Canada EBH to them to install! I hope to install mine myself on Saturday. After studying the main thread on this subject and the pictures posted, I feel I can do it myself. I did the BT Plate and while I had the car on the ramps, I could see the bulge and feel the slot that receives the EBH.

BTW, I have been charting the lowest engine temp readings with my ScanGuage right after startup and the OAT and the resulting MPG on my massive 3.1 mile commute to work. Just a few degrees higher on startup makes a dramatic difference in the MPG for that short trip. I think I will be using the EBH year-round!

Lee

5. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gadgetdad @ Mar 30 2007, 02:37 AM) [snapback]414721[/snapback]</div>
    I hope you have other dealers to choose from for future service needs. I'm not sure I'd want to have someone whose manager is that uninformed working on my car.

6. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    priusFTW,

If you try it and really can't do it and don't want to pay 3 times the block heater cost for an install let me know. My 8th grade daughter is on spring break next week and wants to go on a trip with Dad and she's always wanted to go to Maine(?) so......

Wayne

7. priusFTW

priusFTW Gen III JBL non Nav

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ Mar 30 2007, 11:12 AM) [snapback]414836[/snapback]</div>
    Oh wow! That would be soooo great Wayne, of course I'd pay you for your trouble. I will PM you if you don't mind with some information.

8. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gadgetdad @ Mar 30 2007, 02:37 AM) [snapback]414721[/snapback]</div>
    If your daily commute is only 3.1 miles, the engine block heater would almost certainly make a substantial difference in your mileage. I highly recommend it, and Wayne as an installer..... He's truly a great guy!!

9. priusFTW

priusFTW Gen III JBL non Nav

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Mar 30 2007, 07:07 PM) [snapback]415155[/snapback]</div>
    Well, in my particular case, here in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, we get pretty cold. For example right now this time of year goes down into the teens or low 20's and high of middle to low 50's.

In the dead of winter, it sometimes goes 20-30 below zero, so the EBH would be very beneficial to me.

Here in the "North Country" there really is no such thing as a 3 mile drive, lol cause everything and everyone is so spread out. My typical commute to work one way is 15 miles, no traffic lights and only one stop lol.

But you will be happy to learn that my average MPG is around 54-57 mph even during the colder weather. I swapped my OEM tires for Nokian WR's and inflated to 42/40. I am really starting to get a hang of this pulse and glide technique :)

10. toddp

toddp New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ Mar 27 2007, 04:24 PM) [snapback]413191[/snapback]</div>

11. toddp

toddp New Member

Wayne:

Care to add another ebh install at hybridfest in madison on Sun am? Just buying a Prius this week. Got the same run around from the dealer, "no such thing, not needed...", but I think I'm getting the right part from them at least.

p.s. my wife is looking for help with Highlander ebh installation.

Todd Perkins B)

12. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(toddp @ Apr 14 2007, 06:02 PM) [snapback]423380[/snapback]</div>
    Have you seen my instructions on the HiHy EBH install? It's quite a bit more involved than the Prius EBH, but very much 'doable' by anyone with minimal mechanical skills.
    http://www.hybridchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839
    Be sure to look at the comments as there are some tips that are definate improvements over my original job where I was pretty much making it up as I went.

13. toddp

toddp New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 14 2007, 06:13 PM) [snapback]423385[/snapback]</div>

Evan:

Yes, it's impressive and inspiring. Perhaps a little beyond our ability/desire to tinker, but thank you.

Todd

14. FireEngineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well sure, just the thing for a Sunday morning in Madison.

Wayne

15. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ Apr 15 2007, 07:18 PM) [snapback]423770[/snapback]</div>
    glad to help you out with those if you need an experienced pair of hands.

16. toddp

toddp New Member

Wayne:
    Thank you greatly in advance!
    Todd :)

17. FireEngineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Of course any help is welcome.

Wayne

18. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

I live in New England, and my commute is 7.5 miles. It sounds like I'm an ideal candidate for a block heater.
    Can anyone tell me how long you need to have the heater turned on in advance (I would guess that's a function of ambient temperature), and how many watts? Thanks!

19. FireEngineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, it would help you. Max output is 400 watts. About 3 hour pre-heat with temps above 15-20F, longer if below. And to think Rhode Island is the only state I did not visit during my New England block heater install tour.

Wayne

20. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ Apr 16 2007, 10:35 AM) [snapback]423973[/snapback]</div>
    I just did a BOTE calculation. My electricity averages about $0.16/kWh, so I'd pay about 19 cents to run the heater. If my mileage improves from 30mpg to 50mpg for my 7.5 mile morning commute (realistic?), at current prices of $2.79/gal I'd save 28 cents in fuel costs, so net savings is 9 cents/day- that adds up!
    But of course owning a Prius isn't all about saving money, and since I pay extra to offset my electrical usage from renewable sources, I suppose that I can consider all the fuel saved as a net gain, environmenatl-wise.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ Apr 16 2007, 10:35 AM) [snapback]423973[/snapback]</div>
    I'm sorry I didn't know beforehand you were headed up this way! If you ever make a return trip to New England, let me know!