1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My EV Driving ratio

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by Jeff N, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    I don't usually do this, but I'm going to repost something I wrote in another thread (one of the several recent Hyundai/Kia threads) the other day with only slight edits since the folks on this thread are mostly different:

I'm not setup to capture and post the graphic from myvolt.com like John Hatchett did but I just transcribed my own data from that site covering the same 30 day average. This data is automatically downloaded from the car via OnStar.

Electric Miles:

Gas Miles:

Total Miles:

Fuel Economy:
    292 MPG

Combined Economy:
    112 MPGe

Total Fuel Used:
    8 gal

Total Electricity Used:
    425 kW-hr

That works out to 46.5 MPG gas-only hybrid mode (367/ (2304/292)).

That closely matches my own day-to-day calculations that range from 44-50 on trip segments lasting at least .33 gallons. In the past, I have hand calculated my mpg from the pump on a couple of occasions and found results that matched within 1% of the car's display.

The 425 kWh electricity works out to 4.5 miles per kWh from the battery (I assume). That's equivalent to 22 kWh/100 miles. The equivalent number including charging overhead is 25 kWh/100 miles.

I believe the MPGe shown does not include battery charging overhead and is therefore misleading. There is another screen (the initial MyVolt login page) that shows 30 day efficiency that includes charging overhead in it's calculations but I used the data consistent with John's post for consistency. Including charging overhead, my MPGe would be closer to 102-103 MPGe (which includes gas use since I was about 85% electric).

The data between the 2 efficiency screens on MyVolt is confusing. The basic data is essentially the same but the data seems to be slightly out of synchronization (one represents data slightly newer than the other as if one of them is pre-calcuƂated). For me, the login page efficiency overview said 25 kW-hr/100 miles while the other "detail" page showed electric miles and electric consumption kW-hrs that implied 22 kW-hr/100. The difference is consistent with charging overhead so I assume that it is, especially since the 25 kW-hr/100 miles value is consistent with other calculations I have done by hand.

It would be interesting to see a capture of John's MyVolt login page efficiency data to see if the same trend applies to his Volt data.

2. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My login screen data seems to be significantly wrong, 26MPGe :(.

Are you thinking that the "Energy Consumption" screen does not including charging losses?

1 gallon.jpg 1 gallon (a).jpg

3. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Yes, your other OnStar screen should show around 102 MPGe, not 26! Obviously something is messed up.

I don't know for sure what to make of the difference in implied EV efficiency between the two screens in general for implied EV charge consumption. If we can get a few other Volt drivers to post their data for those two screens we can see if there is a consistent pattern.

In my case, 22 kW-hr/100 miles implies a 30 day EV range average of around 56 miles for each full charge if it includes charging overhead and that is clearly too high since I rarely do better than 51 on a single full charge. If you interpret it as not including charge overhead then it works out to an EV range of around 47 miles which I get on a routine basis. My login screen result of 25 kW-hr/100 miles closely matches a full charge of around 11.75 kW-hr which is roughly typical of what OnStar reports for me for individual charges.

4. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here are my screen shots
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Been a rough month with multipel high-speed long trips bring me down.

I miss voltstat.. this format is not very useful.

5. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oct 1,323 1,367 1000+ MPG 1.36 gal
    Sep 1,412 1,461 1000+ MPG 1.26 gal
    Aug 1,547 1,820 215.68 MPG 8.44 gal
    Jul 1,234 1,534 162.51 MPG 9.44 gal

I would like VoltStats to gather a bit more data than what he is getting through the RemoteLink interface. I'm not sure why he isn't using the MyVolt interface and getting things like charging history, and trips (mileage history).

He could get better MPGe and miles/kWh and kWh/100 miles for the fleet.

Using the ZIP code as well as charging date/time he could do a ghg calculation as well.

6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I occasionally take 100 mile out of town trips without the chance for an opportunity charge. Most daily trips are covered by overnight 120v charging but there are still a few more in the evening that a faster 240v charger could cover. Even so, I think I'm doing pretty good :

3400 miles, 800 gas, 76.5% EV
    Lifetime mpg: 142
    MPGe: 80 (must resist sport mode must...... resist.......) :)

7. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Getting +45 mpg in gas hybrid mode on the Volt is very respectable. 3.5 miles per kwh charge is about what I've been reading is normal for a Volt - but you should get more if you hypermile and/ or keep your speed under 50 mph. The 240v charger is suppose to be more efficient ( less power loss during the rechargin process) than the 120v charger. On cleanmpg.com, one of the more experienced hypermilers reported getting an overall 7 mile per kwh on a Nissan Leaf ( cancelling out any elevation advantage because they are going back and forth along the same commute) - I would think that a Chevy Volt could do the same if the driver hypermiled it.

8. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    just about right.. (depends if you measure miles per kwh before or after charge.. both cars report after charge loss.
    The top 4 "volt" trips on a 10.4kw charge battery are 71, 72.9, 75 and 82..
    Though the last 2 have some elevations gains.

9. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    This is the best I've done. It was along a rural route with several elevation changes and stop signs. I chose it because it was safe to travel <45mph and not disrupt traffic.

[​IMG]

10. jsfabb

jsfabb Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am not trying to knock the Volt in any way, but I thought it was kind of strange that they separate the electric mileage and the kWh used to get that mileage. The same thing is true for the gas mileage. I would have thought that they would have been able to come up with a more user friendly screen layout. It's just not intuitive at first as to how the 4 sets of numbers relate.

The nice thing is that it's all software driven so they can change it with an update.

11. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    61.2mi/10.3kwhr=5.94miles/kwh
    12.6mi/.30gal=42mpg
    The 246 and 142 divide miles driven by gas used (mpg). MPGe hadn't been adopted when the volt began production.

12. jsfabb

jsfabb Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I get how to do the calculations, it's just that the numbers, for instance, the 61.2 mi and the corresponding 10.3 kWhr are separated. I would have thought that the 61.2 mi would have been directly above the 10.3 kWhr for easy reference. The same with the gas numbers. It's more of a formatting (screen layout) thing.

13. jsfabb

jsfabb Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Volt Screen Revisited.jpg
    Here is what I'm talking about, with just a little cutting and pasting. It's a little more user friendly! Click image to view full size.

14. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I prefer the current layout, especially the larger display of kWh used. Mileage on the left, fuel info on the right.

If anything I would like to be able to rotate between "This Trip", "This Charge", and "Lifetime" displays of the same information. There is a Trip A and Trip B odometer that could each have their own corresponding detail display as well.

When I first started driving the Volt I thought the instrumentation included some "personalization" in the sense that driving statistics could be maintained for different drivers which would be a nice feature for a vehicle with multiple drivers. My kids used to be a little competitive with the Prius, seeing who could get the best mpg.

15. jsfabb

jsfabb Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It doesn't mean that the kWh text size can't change. But, doesn't it make more sense to have one on top of the other? It's just that you are used to the way it is. Guaranteed, any newcomer would be able to decipher the screen more easily with my layout.

16. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yes, I like your changes but.... one thing you might not be taking into consideration is distance. Most photos like mine of the display are closeups taken with a camera phone a few inches away. Viewed from the drivers seat, the sets of numbers appear much closer together and it's easier to put "1+1" together to make 2. Hope that makes sense.

17. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't find the current display hard to decipher.

Your proposed layout clearly prompts a mental calculation of miles/kWh or miles/gallon, which is a driver distraction, imo.

There is another set of displays on MyVolt.com that complement the vehicle displays.