1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

my ev went from 9.2 to 10.8

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by brian brooks, Apr 17, 2013.

1. brian brooks

brian brooks Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In 2 weeks the nicer and warmer weather has made my EV from 9.2 to 10.8 and it only 72 degrees today. I am getting over 200 mpg for the month of april and many days 999 mpg.

2. bielinsk

bielinsk Gremlin

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I find it mostly depends on what the night time temperature is when the battery is charging. The colder it is at night, the less range I get during the day, regardless of temp.

When it is warm throughout the night, I get better range. I see the same on my Rav 4.

mrbigh likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and about time, too!:p

4. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Still mid 40's for the next week, Thursday night and friday chance of 5 - 8 inches of wet heavy snow, Really! Getting old. (n)

5. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, with the warmer weather slowly coming in, the range went from 9.8 up to 10.2 so far. Even though it really doesn't matter to the real EV range of the car, it's nice to see it start moving up.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    brutal! and i thought we had it bad. today was a socal day in boston. high 60's, light breeze, full sun. unfortunately, that's it for the year. one nice day, and 364 suck.:rolleyes:

7. Christopher O'Brien

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Folks,

I'm trying to get this straight. You're saying that the EV range after plugging in varies depending on temperature during charging? We got our PiP in January so it was cold here (Toronto), but still the very first (indoor garage) charge gave 21.8 or so km. (advertised max is 22 km). Since then and even with the temperature getting warmer in the last couple of weeks, we haven't had better than high 19s, so should I worry, or just wait to see what happens when spring has finally fully sprung and the temps are really getting up there?

8. bielinsk

bielinsk Gremlin

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    What is being displayed is the Guess O Meter. It is guessing, there is very little science to back up that number.

If you are on flat roads, you will get about 11 miles.

CaliforniaBear likes this.
  9. Christopher O'Brien

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Okay, that makes sense given all the variables when actually driving in EV. Interesting, though, that the Guess O Meter doesn't "claim" that I'll get the full advertised number considering that it is, in fact, a guess. Hmm...

I'm glad I live in Canada. 22 km sounds like much more than 11 miles! :)

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    call us when the maples leaf out.:cool:

11. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It also depends a LOT on how fast you are driving.

Mike

12. Christopher O'Brien

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The figure given must be for ideal conditions only, but I wonder what those conditions are. How about on a frictionless road surface in a vacuum at 10 kph with a following solar wind? :)

But surely the number will have something to do with the actual state of charge of the battery when the charging process is over. If I get different figures under very similar atmospheric conditions, then does that indicate different states of charge i.e. that the battery is more topped up after one charge than the other?

Anyway, I'll get onto my dealer and see what they have to say. If all else fails, I guess I'll have to replace the battery with a capacitor like the one in Toyota's TS030 Le Mans prototype!

13. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A frictionless road? The car would never go anywhere!

Mike

14. Christopher O'Brien

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    With a short burst from your jet backpack, you give it a push in the direction you want to go and then jump in. The solar wind gives it an extra bit of speed if you're going in the right direction. ;)

15. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The dealer most likely knows less than you. I wouldn't bother. My experience is your rate of speed in EV mode is the greatest factor in the guess-o-meter. Temperature indirectly affects the guess in that your fuel economy in EV mode will be lower when operated in lower temperatures.

So I don't think ambient temperature while charging matters. I think it's just a correlation of low nightly temperatures to low daily temperatures. If it snows last night, it will probably be cold in the morning.

16. Christopher O'Brien

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Okay, I think my brain-fade has just lifted. Tell me if I've got it right:

The very first time I charged the car the EV range was said to be the official 22 km, but I haven't seen that high a range since because of my subsequent driving history in EV. In other words, our PiP (named "Gieves" after my Dad's naval tailor) records all my driving stats and then, based on them, predicts what each subsequent charge will provide in the way of range. Am I on the right track? If so, that would mean that temperature would not actually be taken into account by the computer directly, but only how temperature affects the efficiency of the car and the resulting average range of actual EV-powered excursions. Phew!

Does that sound right?

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you've got it!(y) but we don't know exactly what formulai and parameters the toyota engineers used to create the software.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    fyi, my estimated ev range has always been close to my actual ev miles. perhaps because my driving is exactly the same or similar almost every day.

19. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yup. Only Toyota engineers who wrote the software knows for sure. We're just reverse engineering how it works based on observation.

For this reason, some members reboot their car by disconnecting their battery. This erases your driving history and gives you back your default EV miles. But your SOC remains the same, it's just the guess that is different. I don't see any gain in doing it.

20. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    ... unless the software is like that used to compute the NCAA college football standings, where it is believed that NOONE actually knows the complete algorithm. :D As a professional software developer, I can state that having written the code is no guarantee that one knows exactly how it will behave.