1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My experience using 5W-40 instead of 0W-20

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Anas Almustafa, May 18, 2014.

1. abudraih

abudraih Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you for the thoughts folks

I think i will go with 5w 30 oil, but the point now, i have 0 w 20 in the engine, and the temperature here today 42 C. what is the harm ?

and for the fuel here its our biggest problem, and the main reason to get a Prius because the price of Gasoline Liter of Octane 90 is 1.2 $ (4.6$ for US gallon) and for the Octane 95 is 1.5$ (5.7$ per US Gallon), which is very high comparing to the countries around us like Saudi and Iraq :-(

our government enjoying Torturing us and they increase the fuel prices on monthly basis :-(

BTW, which one to use to the economy (for us) octane 90 or 95 ?

2. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    As I have posted many times, Aussie dealers are instructed to use 10w-30 full synthetic. I believe our summer conditions can be similar to Jordan. Where I live we do get occasional frosts so mornings can occasionally get down to -7 C but more like -1 or -2. In 200,000 Kms I have had no difficulties with starting and still average 4.8 L/HKms (50 mpg US ). My oil is always clear between oil changes, though tending more to amber lately.

abudraih likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    With the different gas standards around the world it's hard to tell what the numbers mean, but typically: the lowest octane pump is just fine. Only a few cars with high compression engines need anything higher, to resist pre-ignition, and it would be noted in the Owners Manual.

I doubt very much that higher octane will improve your mpg, though you could try and see. Unless: the lower octanes have alcohol blend and the higher octane do not.

I'm tempted to try a thicker oil with my next spring oil change. I do a spring and fall change (Canadian 8000 km or 6 month interval, time typically governs). I guess I would take a hit, but curious how much.

abudraih likes this.
  4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It depends upon what the Prius is doing.

If it is mostly doing short trips, 1-5 km with an hour or so off, the 0W-20 makes sense. But it the duty cycle is higher, the 5w-30 makes more sense. I am going to suggest a test.

Do an oil and filter test with each grade (normal change interval) and then measure the mileage on level road, constant speed, similar temperature and tire pressure. Which ever one give you acceptable performance, go with it.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

abudraih and GrumpyCabbie like this.
  5. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How about fuel economy stats on 0w20 AND then 5w30?

Over 10k miles/16k km each should clarify this matter once and for all :)

6. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does Jordan use RON numbers and what does your manual say?

If Jordan uses RON, then 90 = 85 AKI, too low for prius.
    If Jordan uses AKI, then 90 is fine for prius (requires 87).

BTW, 5w30 is fine in any climate. 0w20 will have "slight" edge in arctic climate and short trips.

7. abudraih

abudraih Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    this reply is of the most useful one i need , i made some research and found that Jordan use the RON rating here:

Jordan Petroleum Refinery : Fuels

fortunately , i live near the Saudi borders where i can find the Saudi gasoline rated RON 95 for the same price as Jordanian RON 90

I will start using it to fill my prius ;-)

Anas Almustafa likes this.
  8. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The whole point IS that there will BE no harm, either way.

If the oil gets TOO thin, it might not lubricate properly but that isn't really likely to happen unless you drive the engine REALLY hard.

Check your owners manual for the proper octane rating; likely that 90 is fine.

Where you live there is ABSOLUTELY no (good) reason to consider doing that.

#28 Easy Rider, Jun 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2014
  9. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If there's no harm in using the 0W, I haven't seen anything that would indicate losing 7 mpg or whatever it is, would be worth it. Has Toyota specs out anything that indicates a move to 5W or higher would be prudent?

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    7 mpg drop sounds a little high, I doubt it would be that much. One way to find out...

Owners Manuals around the world stipulate different, thicker grades, Australia for example. I doubt engine longevity is first and foremost of Toyota's concern. While it's a factor, they also are trying to get the best mpg rating possible. And, keep in mind their stand on transaxle fluid changes.

I might do this next spring. 5W20 would be the most conservative change. Or maybe 10W30? If there's a catastrophic drop in mpg, hey, I'll do another oil change, and just pour out the oil filter and reuse.

Starship16 likes this.
  11. abudraih

abudraih Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Is there a way to check out the oil recommendation section of the user manual worldwide, I mean, if somebody from Europe, Australia , Middle East, Far East , etc.. how have the harcopy of the manual to report here, i dont think we can find the local version online

12. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I'm not sure what you are asking here. The mileage difference likely would be more like .7 MPG. And yes, I think the fact that they actually recommend different grades of oil in hot climates means that it is prudent in some conditions.

13. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My stats prove otherwise. It's about 4-7 mpg per tank on average. Also, with 5w30 I was unable to get the car to get journey average over 59 mpg UK at all, however hard I tried. When using 0w20 oil I can get the car to average upto 88 mpg UK over 20 miles. It's the top end of economy where the 0w20 oil makes a difference as well as driveability issues such as the car 'stumbling' when transitioning from electric to ICE.

I personally would insist on using 0w20 at every opportunity.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The oil numbers 01W-02 have a specific meaning:
    • "01" - is the cold temperature viscosity, a lower number has less 'thickness', the viscosity
    • "02" - is the high temperature viscosity
    All engines under load will produce excess heat. The thermostat and radiator fans are designed to dump the excess heat to keep the engine coolant temperature under 92C. This is the threshold that turns on the fans. So living in a hotter climate, seek oils with the same "02" number:
    • 0W-20 ~= 5W-20 ~= 10W-20 ## notice the cold number, "01" can increase without a problem
    What happens with a more viscous oil, the engine has to work harder, wasting energy 'stirring' the oil. This excess heat means the radiator fans have to run longer and more frequently to keep the engine at 92C or lower. Now if you insist on using a higher temperature range oil, replace the thermostat and put a small resistor in series with the thermistor. This will let the engine run hot enough to thin the oil to 0W-20. It will also encourage formation of varnish, a thick, sticky coating to further increase the internal engine friction. . . . But it is your engine.

Bob Wilson

15. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I honestly find that hard to believe. A change from 0W20 to 5W30 really isn't that much difference in overall viscosity. Now there might be other factors in play too. If the 0W was loaded with friction modifiers, like moly, and the 5W was not, that might account for most of the difference you saw. And finally, I don't think the place you live is known for temperatures above 100F and pretty much nobody really recommends using a thicker oil except where it is really hot.

16. Anas Almustafa

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    hi there,

I decided to keep the 5W-40 oil and test the car, I currently still have the 5W40 and getting around 47 mpgs which is normal.

My guess is that the car got used to the oil. The dealer doesn't recognize the difference between 2nd gen prius and 3rd gen prius, 2nd gen is 5w30 recommended by toyota but 3rd gen is 0w20.

Next oil change i'll use 0W-20 and see the difference.

If you ever buy engine oil in jordan make sure the oil cap and seal has the oil company logo on them since nowadays most are filling up old oil containers with crappy oil and selling them as orignal

abudraih likes this.
  17. Anas Almustafa

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    This is new information for me, i'll start using RON 95 from now on

18. abudraih

abudraih Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you ever buy engine oil in jordan make sure the oil cap and seal has the oil company logo on them since nowadays most are filling up old oil containers with crappy oil and selling them as orignal

Thanks for the warning

Anas Almustafa likes this.
  19. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 5W number is for cold starting only, the second number is for the working oil temp. Yes, toyota states in your own manual that 0W20 may not be enough protection for heavy duty service.

20. Mohammed9882

Mohammed9882 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi .... Can you talk with me ... 079-5050060