1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My experience with aftermarket TPMS sensors

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Naimc, Nov 16, 2021.

1. Naimc

Naimc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Upgrade
    My 1st post here, had the prius envy for a few years and finally purchased a used 2017 last spring.

This fall purchased a second set of wheels for our winter tires and I decided to purchase my own Tpms sensors due the large difference in what the deal local tire shop and online price differences.

I purchased the least expensive TPMS sensors I could find in canada, QWIK QS105M , these happened to be programmable.
    [​IMG]

I brought my wheels and sensor to local tire shop for the install and they did not succeed in programming the senor.

So I figured out I would get a program tool as now I was really curious about how all this stuff works

I was going to getting a Autel MaxiTPMS TS508 , but found out all the Autel tools can only program Autel sensors.

After I bit of research I settled on ATEQ VT37 as this tool can program the QWIK sensors and was marketed as DIY friendly. The ATEQ VT37 cost about $171.72 USD.

As per the QWIK manual I had to deflate the tires as they only allow initial programming a zero psi.

here is an overivew of the steps I followed :
    1: Sensor Programming mode
    [​IMG]

2. Select make :
    [​IMG]

3. Select model : (ATEQ support told me to use Prius-C for Prime)
    [​IMG]

4. Select year :
    [​IMG]

5. Brand of sensor you purchased. This is the critical part without updates a tool won't have new sensor and car models.
    [​IMG]

6. The tool tell you which sensor make / model will work ! right on the senor I purchased is on the list.
    [​IMG]

7. The final step tool is programming the sensor.
    [​IMG]

And it works ( I had try 2 times, 1st attempt lost com.)
    [​IMG]

I mounted the wheels with new sensor on the car and I after 2 weeks I never saw a TPMS ! warning on the dash I figure the reset just worked by magic

I did do a TPMS reset from the onboard car settings on the Prius car setting options, thinking it would force detection of the new TPMs sensors.

I had doubts so I pulled out the Min VCI USB to OBD2 dongle and fire-up Techstream version 16.0.0.23

Pulled the TPMS live sensor data and bad news the ID's for the 4 wheels are not the new ID that were generated by the programming tool. Too bad , there is no magic in this process.
    [​IMG]

So I used the techstream option to enter the ID's of the new sensors ! ( screen capture show 1st attempt the ID were wrong got the correct one by reading the QWIK sensor ID, but result was the same)
    [​IMG]
    and F-Off , the limits of cheap cloned cable , Error ( I was told my another dongle maker that to program with techstream one has to have valid subscription )
    [​IMG]

So this was not going to work.
    Time for Plan B. get back into the ATEQ programing tool. Screw the new IDs' lets go the cloning route !

The techstream software did allow me to see the ID's of the sensor that are on my summer wheels.
    [​IMG]

I manually entered the ID of each sensor I wanted cloned and uploaded it to each wheel sensor.
    Back in the program mode :
    [​IMG]

Enter the ID of the original Toyota sensor into the QWIK sensor.
    [​IMG]

I really did not think the next step would work it was expecting to have to deflate the tire again: bringing it 0 psi same step. But it work. I repeated the same process for the other 3 wheels.
    [​IMG]
    I went back in Techstream pulled up the live data and the sensor were all showing 36 psi !

Now the job is complete and so is my overview of getting programmable sensors !

2. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Welcome to Prius Chat. I have been here since 2017 and have never seen such a useful, well written first submission. Thank you for your effort.

Salamander_King likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah I'd echo the above.

Still, when I got snow tires (on Corolla rims) for our newly acquired 2010, I went the dead-simple route: skip the sensors.

FWIW: Mazda sells their OEM sensors for about $30 CDN apiece (MazdaShop, in Ontario I believe), and with Mazda, the car automatically recognizes swapped sensors, with just a few minutes driving. Nothing else needed.

#3 Mendel Leisk, Nov 17, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
    Salamander_King likes this.
  4. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Being this is a Prius Prime forum does this work on Primes?

5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, you are correct that Autel MaxiTPMS TS508 can program only Autel sensors. This may be a problem if you have already purchased other brand programmable TPMS sensors. But, the tool can read any TPMS sensors including OEM TPMS sensors and most of (if not all) aftermarket TPMS sensors, and write the ID of any TPMS sensors to ECU (relearn process) via OBDII on most make and model of cars that requires OBDII relearn procedure like Toyota, Honda, and Nissan.

I purchased a TS508 tool kit that came with 8 programmable MX 1-sensor (can be programmed to be used either for 315MHz or 433MHz) from eBay for ~$250 total. I use the tool for TPMS relearn procedure via OBDII for our Nissan and Honda with two sets of OEM TPMS sensors. For Prius Prime, I purchased a set of wheels with tires installed without a TPMS sensor before I bought the TS508, so I have not had a second set of wheels with TPMS yet. Sound like the ATEQ VT37 is a TPMS sensor programming tool, but it does not support OBDII relearn procedure like the Autel TS508.

I just cloned the OEM TPMS sensor ID's off from my 2021 PP summer wheels onto 4 programmable Autel MX 1-sensors. The process is so quick and easy. No need to attach OBDII or write down the OEM TPMS sensor IDs. It will read and copy and activate the Autel MX 1-sensors without removing the tire (didn't even have to open the door).

I now have to figure out how to take the existing valve stem out and install those sensors into the winter wheels. If it is too difficult to DIY, I may just take them to a tire shop to have them install and rebalance the wheel+tires.

upload_2021-11-17_13-1-30.png

#5 Salamander_King, Nov 17, 2021
  6. Naimc

Naimc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Upgrade
    Oh I might have not been specific enough, this was done on a 2017 Toyota Prius Prime Upgrade.
    My ATEQ VT37 shows Prius C because there was no Prius Prime in the menu system and ATEQ tech support told me to just select Prius C.

And as @Salamander_King said the key here is "cloning" sensors. Putting in new ID will require a more expensive TPMS programming tool that also has OBD2 connector and the capacity to trigger the car programming.

[​IMG]
    This is car specific limitation, some car have to process that can be trigged to manual start a relearn process ( relearn meaning detect new TPM sensor ID's)

For example a Honda Accord can trigger a relearn buy following the sequence :

[​IMG]

There are pro tools costing $$$ that a real tire shop would own to cover all types of cars.

schja01 likes this.
  7. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to add to your comment above. The reason newer (2013-present) Honda Accord does not need the OBDII to relearn TPMS is because there are no TPMS sensors inside of the wheel. Some models of Honda have moved away from the direct TPMS system to the indirect TPMS system using ABS sensors. The benefit is that the lower tire pressure is sensed by a slight difference in tire diameter as one tire loose pressure, so it does not require any extra TPMS radio sensor inside of the wheel, meaning no relearning procedure, no extra cost of TPMS sensors, and no replacement of TPMS sensors due to dead battery. But, the disadvantage is that it can not be used to accurately measure actual tire pressure in any tire. It only works when the car is in motion. And, in the very rare event in which both tires on the same axle lose the approximately same amount of pressure, the system is unable to detect the reduced tire pressure. Older than 2012 Accord and most other Honda vehicles do use a direct TPMS system with a radio sensor inside of the wheel. They do require an OBDII connection type relearn tool to change the sensor IDs on ECU. My Civic Hybrid and my son's CRZ both use this type of TPMS sensor.

Except for some model years of Pilot, most (if not all) Honda vehicles with direct TPMS sensors do not have automatic relearn without OBDII. However, there are other makes and models like Mazda, Mendel mentioned and many US domestic and some EU models of cars that can do relearn procedure without OBDII. Toyota, Nissan, and Honda all remain to be OBDII relearn in most of their models.

upload_2021-11-17_23-9-38.png

#7 Salamander_King, Nov 17, 2021
    Naimc likes this.
  8. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Doing a search, I found a few videos for replacing TPMS sensors (or simple valve stem) on the wheel without demounting tires from rims. This video was most pertinent, and I was thinking of trying...

But, then I realized that if I am replacing regular rubber valves that are on my winter wheels with newly programmed TPMS sensors with metal stems, then I am sure I have to rebalance the wheels again. I could guess the weight difference between the TPMS sensor and rubber stem and apply the weight sticker on the opposite side of the TPMS sensor and call it good enough. But in the end, I decided to take the "cloned" TPMS sensors and winter wheels to a local tire shop to have them installed. It ended up costing more than the regular new tire installation on a car. They charge extra for "carry-in" wheels and tires. Oh well, that is what happens when you don't purchase a new set of tires at a tire shop you are using. Anyway, I now have the Autel MX 1-sensors with cloned sensor IDs from OEM summer wheels installed on the after-market wheels with winter tires.

I just installed them onto my PP and drove ~30min. No TPMS lights lit up. OBD Tire Assistant App is reading the TPMS sensors ID and pressure, so it seems they are all working correctly.
    upload_2021-11-21_15-50-40.png

#8 Salamander_King, Nov 21, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
    Naimc likes this.