1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Favorite Detailing Products

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by stream, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I used to use sheepskin mits before I bought the board hair brush from Griots. Since getting it in 2001, I use nothing else... It's pricey but just 2 weeks ago I called them since some bristles began falling out (hey it's 8 years old) and they are sending me a new one. They are a great company and do stand behind their lifetime warranty.

Boar's Hair Brush - Cleaning Tools - Car Washing - Car Care - Griot's Garage

2 people like this.
  2. Willem

Willem Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    And, it's MADE IN USA!!! :rockon: :cheer2:

1 person likes this.
  3. MaggieMay

MaggieMay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Given your strong preferences for car care products (and thank you for those!) what's your position on the 3M paint protective thingie? If you have it, are there any special tricks to your cleaning/waxing regime to be aware of?
    Thanks.

4. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've chimed in before regarding the paint protection film--I don't like it.

If you haven't seen a car with it applied, you need to before deciding to get it. It's typically applied on the front half of the hood and front fenders, so you have a noticeable line running across the hood & fenders. And on the front bumper, for example, the edges are very noticeable--and there will be a lot of them on the Prius bumper. Over time the edges become more pronounced, with dirt & wax build up and general wear. Kinda reminds me of the plastic sofa covers one of our neighbors had growing up. :p

1 person likes this.
  5. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I used Zaino on the '06 and will continue. It's pretty easy!

6. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Did you look at my pics of the arourtec? quite invisible!

7. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    1 person likes this.
  8. 925PriusGuy

925PriusGuy Winter Gray & Blizzard Pearl Pri

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    V
    We have all three cars (including the Prius) 3M protected on the front and the side mirrors + door keyholes. The oldest car is 6 years old now and still looks great. No seam issues or wax/dirt accumulation (thanks in part to using Zaino products). I think that the protection is worth the noticeable lines . The first week I had my Boxster done an overhead light fixture in the garage fell on the front bumper and the film protected the paint. I just wouldn't consider getting another car without the protection. At a minimum, I'd do the headlamps and fog lamps. Just my $.02..

2 people like this.
  9. accordingly

accordingly Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So what is suggested for someone who wants to wash their car only once every few months at most? Is it even worth it to do all the waxing steps if I'm going to be lazy about washing? I'll spend a some good quality time and money on it once, but I don't want to have to think about it for as long as possible, and I definitely won't be doing much of anything at all in winter.

Am I right in thinking one solid day of of Dawn, claybar, Z2 Pro (for silver car) and maybe Z6 will do the job on my new car? Anything else to consider?

10. PriusCrazy

PriusCrazy Blizzard Pearl for Me

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wow! Looks real nice dbacksfan!

11. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Sorry for replying late Maggie, but I just now saw your post. I did contemplate getting it but I have seen it on 2 cars and I didn't like how it looked close up. Now please do keep in mind at a distance you cannot see it, but up close I was able to. Besides that, I tend to keep my cars 4 years and I just cannot see spending that extra money when I take care where I park, garage keep my car and maintain it well. Yes, I do get some chips like everyone but nothing that bothers me and the money I saved goes into buying me a new one four years down the road.

Honestly I don't see anything bad or wrong about it, it's just a decision each individual has to make if they want it or not. It's not for me but if you plan on definitely keeping the car a while it seems a worthwhile investment.

2 people like this.
  12. liverbomb88

liverbomb88 Push the Button!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Putting a long lasting sealant like Zaino on early in the life of your new car will help you keep the car clean, believe it or not. Rain will sheet off the dirt more easily. Without regular washings, the sealant may not last as long, requiring reapplication not after 6 months but probably 3-4 months, which still is about triple that of regular wax.

To extend the life of Zaino back to 6 months or longer, one very simple thing you can consider is, after one of your quarterly washes, to spritz on and wipe off something like Z8, Meguiars ultimate quick wax, or Duragloss Aquawax. Takes about 5 minutes. These sprays have synthetic polymers which help patch up weak spots in the sealant.

I would strip and reclay prior to subsequent applications of Zaino. The cleaner the surface is, the better Zaino will bond.

Here is water beading on the roof our other car after a recent rain. I applied Zaino >6mo ago, and maintained with regular washes and spritzing with Duragloss Aquawax:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I just had a whole reply typed up and I just deleted it all and am changing my mind...

This is just my suggestion but here goes. I say wash with dawn, clay the car and then put down a coat of Z-2 PRO. Then pick up some of the Griots Garage spray on wax (link below). Everytime you wash the car as you are drying it, spray a panel with spray on wax and wipe it dry. This will extend the life of your Zaino and really help with gloss and hiding swirl marks. Then if you want, reapply the Zaino once a year but before doing so clay. Not a lot of work imo and will definitely keep the car looking great. :)

Spray-On Wax - Waxes & Sealants - Waxing - Car Care - Griot's Garage

Also, if after driving for the day you have only mild stuff on the paint like pollen dust etc you can give a wipedown with a micro-fiber while spraying panels with Speed Shine. Usually before going to bed at night, if I didn't drive through rain and the car isn't 'filthy dirty' I take 5 minutes and spray the car down in my garage and give a quick wipedown with it. Keeps the car looking great until I wash it, which I usually do every weekend though...

Speed Shine - Griot's Garage

4 people like this.
  14. liverbomb88

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with Paradox. I have not used Griot's, but some spray like it or ones I mentioned should be used in your case, to extend the life of the Zaino. It's really not bad at all to spritz on and wipe off.

15. dbacksfan

dbacksfan Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Deleted, Paradox answered my question.

16. accordingly

accordingly Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks a ton!

Should I do anything between the clay bar and Zaino Z2 wax steps? Do I wash and use spray wax then, or just on my infrequent washes? Thanks again.

17. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I've found that if I use the spray wax after claying but before applying the Zaino it does make removal easier. Zaino sells Z8 which is great stuff, but I find the Griots spray on wax to be just as good and honestly, buying it in the gallon size is cost efficient.

Just don't let it dry on the paint after spraying so be careful if doing it in full sunlight. Also, even though it is called a wax once you spray it on and wipre it off, it doesn't leave a haze or anything like traditional waxes... Just wanted to make that clear in case anyone had any doubt about it. There are some spray waxes on the market that are sprayed, wiped on and then let to haze and then need to be buffed off but this is not one of those types. (Nor are the ones mentioned by liverbomb).

18. liverbomb88

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would want Z2 bonding to clean clear coat. No gloss agents, no wax, nada. Just Z2 (+/-ZFX) and clean clear coat. The less in between, the tighter the bond, the longer it will last.

So what I recommend in 6 steps:
    1. Strip off all residual waxes/sealants with a strong soap (e.g. Dawn).

2. Perfect the paint with clay bar and if necessary, polishing.

3. Make sure clear coat is as clean as possible. I generally wash again with strong soap after claying/polishing (step2). There are some who use isopropyl alcohol and do a wipedown to make sure the clear coat is clean.

4. Apply Zaino sealant (Z2pro in your case). If you layer, use ZFX. Layering gives more uniformity and completeness. Buff off and let it cure overnight. You can use Z6 in between coats, but don't spray on Z8 or any other spray-on sealants until the Z2 cures (see Zaino instructions).

5. Maintain with washes when you can, and end it with spritzing of Z8 or another extender spray-on sealant.

6. When your paint starts feeling like it's contaminated again or if you lose sheeting/beading, go back to step 1.

Oh, one more step. TAKE PICTURES AFTERWARD AND SHARE WITH US!!!

19. accordingly

accordingly Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a bunch of stuff on the way. Zaino Z2 and a claybar. I also got Griot's spray on wax and the interior kit which has interior cleaner and rubber and vinyl dressing.

Do you recommend waxing the plastic spoiler? What should I do with that and the black plastic around the windows, etc? Any way to slow down the fading?

20. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Oh yeah, Zaino the black spoiler like you do the rest of the car... On my 2006 I would use the vinyl and rubber dressing on the plastic around the windshield wipers, the black on the b pillars etc. I wouldn't do it every time, but every few months it worked great to re-nourish the plastic and keep it black w/o fading...

Enjoy everyting once it arrives, I am sure the car will look great! Oh and pics, we will want pics! lol