1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Favorite Detailing Products

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by stream, Jun 6, 2009.

1. btaylor

btaylor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm getting ready to buy a boar's hair brush for washing my new Prius.

I wonder whether the new, flow-through boar's hair (round) brush from Griot's might hold some advantage over the "traditional" 12" brush?

Griot's Boar's Hair Round Brush

What do you think?

Bob

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

This is just my opinion but definitely go with the traditional 12" brush. I hate the control you have using those things on a stick to wash the car... The 'new' model 12" i just got them to send me as a replacement for my old model from 2001 is superbly made and soft. Also, the flow through of water is unnecessary imo. I use their car wash, I buy it in the gallon size, and it is plenty slippery on the paint so flow through from the brush is not warranted.

Again, just my opinion, but I would stay away from that round one.

3. btaylor

btaylor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks. I'm happy to accept that simpler-is-better in this case.
    :)

4. Edward Walsh

Edward Walsh New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Paradox:

Can't help but notice that in this thread all the 'detailing' info some go through with to keep their 'baby' in top shape. I am curious and hopefully you can answer this for me. My new 'baby' should be ready to pick up September 01, 2009 (actually it arrives in the next week or so but my present lease doesn't finish until the end of August) and I have been seriously considering getting some Paint Protection Vinyl among other things. This is most likely going to be my last new vehicle before my wife retires from her job in 4 years and based on how it treats us will seriously consider purchasing it after the lease. Thus the reason for keeping it as 'new' as possible with PPF and anything else. Should the car after being PDI'd at the dealer and before the PPF is applied have a full wash/clay/polish treatment in your opinion? If so, how difficult is it to do this? I am partially disabled and most likely will have to get someone to do this for me. Any advise would be gratefully appreciated!!!:)

Living in a small community on the south coast of Newfoundland has its advantages (scenery), but we don't have much in the way of detailing shops. In fact I have to travel over 300KM (180 Miles) each way to pickup the vehicle at the dealer it is being shiipped to and then get it tinted plus anything else (PPF) I decide to do before returning home. It doesn't help that despite it being my 13th vehicle since being married it is my first Hybrid (and Toyota for that matter) and I want to make sure everything goes as smoothly as it can.

Thanks in advance.....

Edward
    Marystown, Newfoundland
    Canada

5. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Edward! After living in NYC my whole life with only a break while in the USAF, I'd take having no detailing shops to have the scenery you get to see every day! :) First off, congrats on your purchase I am certain you will be very happy with it. As for maintaining the car 'cosmetically' from onset, After getting the car I feel it best to get a good coat of a premium sealant down on the paint. This means washing the car with Dawn dishwashing detergent, claying the paint, rewashing with regular ol' carwash and then applying the sealant such as Zaino. (Zaino is what I would recommend) Once Zaino is down on the paint and applied properly following the prep instructions, regular car washing and maybe a spraydown with Z6 after each wash will really keep the car looking spectacular and extend the life of the sealant. In your situation having to get someone to do it, Id say seal it once a year and use Z-AIO which has small amounts of polish to actually remove contaminiants. ANything else from them just seals and doesnt clean the paint... Just keep in mind if you go to automatic car washes after applying everything it'll all just come off... Automatic car washes and their soap are killers as are the brushes they use. :eek:

If you've got any questions or concerns please feel free to PM me, I'll try and help and answer any questions you may have. :)

Not sure if you saw this page, but it goes through the steps pretty well:

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=Z&Category_Code=APPLICATION

And for anyone using Z5 etc, it is always best to always end with a top coat of Z2...

1 person likes this.
  6. 1 mad scientist

1 mad scientist Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Used Zaino on Saturday. Wash, clay bar, wash, (Z5 & Z6 - repeat 3 times).
    Looks great on the 2 week old 2010! Now I have to decide if i want to spend a day doing my 2008 Sienna.

7. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Regarding paint protection film (I'm not a fan), I'd suggest you see a car in person with it to decide whether you can live with the lines, but yes--the painted surfaces need to be very clean, and the installer needs to do this.

As I said in the first post of this thread, everybody has their favorite detailing products, and here's my $0.02.

As Paradox's comments exemplify, Zaino is a popular synthetic polymer, but be aware that the application process is pretty involved and time consuming, so if you're going to attempt this on your own (depending on your level of disability) or pay somebody to do it, it's going to take the better part of a day.

If it's a polymer you want (for durability reasons), there are many others on the market that don't require the multiple step process Zaino requires. I personally prefer high quality carnauba wax because of their depth of color and shine (One Grand Blitz is my favorite) but in the polymer category, RejeX is excellent, inexpensive and has an easier application process:
    RejeX®: So Slick, Bugs Can't Stick!

1 person likes this.
  8. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    stream,

As tempting as Zaino is, the heat in AZ would make it near impossible to do anything more than a coat before the sun was too intense. Thanks for the RejeX suggestion!

9. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's great stuff--as you can see from their site, it was developed for the U.S. military to minimize helicopter exhaust buildup, so if it can withstand that harsh environment, the AZ sun should be no problem. :D

Also apply it to your windshield--it minimizes bug splats and those that do stick clean off much easier. I've used it for years on cars with brake dust issues on the wheels (not an issue with the Prius), and also on chrome exhaust tips.

10. syncmacd

syncmacd Waxing is Relaxing

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Learning from the master! I am picking up these products now. Incidently, if anyone is interested in these, there is a coupon for a free 8 oz of speed shine with any order, good until 7.16.09!

Griot's Garage Coupon Codes - all coupons, discounts and promo codes for griotsgarage.com

1 person likes this.
  11. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Lol, the master. I do hope you enjoy their stuff, I have been using their products since 2000-01 and the quality has always been top notch. If you are getting 35oz bottles, be sure to save them with the sprayers if you like the spray on wax and speed shine so you can save by getting gallon size refills... That's what I always do anyways. Enjoy, and be sure to post back with pictures of your baby when done! :)

12. MaggieMay

MaggieMay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Okay all you detailing fools - this weekend the new child is to be baptised with Zaino. But I have a couple of questions for you:

The bumper applique - do I polish it or go around it?

Sunroof/solar panel. My child lives under a tree - not in a garage. Is there something I should put on the glass to help stave off bug juice and bird doody? Something to protect it from such?

Thank you! Pics to come after the primping. :)

13. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I recommend RejeX for the sunroof--and while you're at it also apply to the windshield. FWIW, many people use RejeX on the entire car.

RejeX®: So Slick, Bugs Can't Stick!

1 person likes this.
  14. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If you're already buying Zaino just Zaino the bumper aplique as well. Wait, are you talking the clear on or the black one? Clear Zaino right over it, black while Zaino doesnt leave residue on plastics, I would leave it alone and if you want to keep it looking black just apply a little vinyl and rubber dressing every so often...

When I used to buy cars with sunroofs, I always would Rain-X them along with the rest of the windows on the car. I don't have the solar option (Prius V) but if it is glass like the sunroof etc, I would Rain-X it as well...

1 person likes this.
  15. 12parsecs

12parsecs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Is there a particular Dawn detergent that people are using?

16. MaggieMay

MaggieMay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    12parsecs: I just used good ol Blue Dawn. Did the trick!

Okay guys - after a Dawn wash, clay bar, and three coats of Z2 w/FX, Z6 and lastly Z8 (drum roll please) here's a couple of photos:

Thanks a million for your advise and guidance. The car feels silky - honest to goodness. It's amazing!!

Attached Files:

17. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yup, for Dawn use regular blue dawn, none of the new fancy ones with Oxy in it, the apple smelling one etc. Just the old blue dawn...

Maggie, looks beautiful. Silver is a hard color to get looking clean or dirty but everytime I see Zaino on a silver car it really does make it look beautiful as well! Glad you like the results and I hope you had some fun while doing it as well! :)

1 person likes this.
  18. 12parsecs

12parsecs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks, I'll try the regular dawn. Unfortunately my car has been completely ravaged by all the surprises that come from parking under trees and power lines :(

19. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Definitely then, I would suggest after washing with dawn clay the vehicle before using any surface sealant on it. If you do not clay it to remove all the tree sap etc., you'll just end up locking in all that nasty stuff. I'm sure after the work you put into it, the results will be amazing! And you'll be taking a huge step in protecting your vehicle from future 'messes'. :)

20. MaggieMay

MaggieMay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was surprised to see how much micro-gunk was on my brand new car when I clayed it. Definitely worth the time to do it and it was not hard. In fact all the products went on so easily I thought I was doing something wrong. I remembered all the elbow grease required of 'turtle wax' in the old days. Though it was hard to see the hazing on the silver car, it came off very easily.

Last night I drove through a swarm of bugs and the carnage was minimal - like they slid right off the car when they hit it!! :p

1 person likes this.