1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Favorite Detailing Products

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by stream, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Leakman

Leakman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just wondering if you ever used Rejex as a primary polish/sealer on the paint and also if you ever tried it as a rain-x type product??

2. Leakman

Leakman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I personally use Liquid Glass and love it. I was in Maine a few years ago and saw a bright red Toyota pickup with a tremendous shine, bright, shiny chrome wheels. Caught my attention right away. I was very surpised to find that the owner was a 70 something gentleman. He told me he has used this on his vehicles for a long while and has never had an issue. He tried a lot of the other products that are around and that this beat them hands down. I bought some @ Autozone and did my Buick Park Ave. and it came out great (two coats). After a year I gave it another coat... just because, not because it needed it. When the Blue Ribbon Prius got here I gave it the treatment and it looks fantastic. Very easy, one item to use... no can "A" then "liquid "B" then spray "C" routine. Amazon's price is great. I paid $22.95 + tax which is still chap as it goes a very long way. :D Is Rejex OK on paint??

3. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    When I first heard about RejeX, folks were using it on high heat areas (wheels & exhaust tips) and also on the windshield to reduce bug splats. Some folks applied it to the entire car, like any other synthetic. I experimented with applying it to the front bumper, since it's a bug catcher (depending on the time of year) but the application/removal process (primarily the removal process) was much more difficult than One Grand blitz wax, so I never applied it to any of the painted areas of the body of my cars after that. So now I only use it on the wheels and windshield.

4. bluemonday

bluemonday New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just ordered some online. It comes recommended in this thread and sounds like it's meant for paint from the RejeX web site....

5. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Update to this earlier post. My Griot's Garage order arrived yesterday. I like the glass cleaner, lint free towels, and the microfiber glass cleaning cloths. I don't know if it was the towels or the spray, but it seemed to do a better job than my usual favorite - Stoners Invisible Glass.

The interior cleaner didn't seem to do much. It didn't clean any of the black scuff marks off my door scuff plate, and it didn't do anything to the driver's seat with the dye transfer from a belt. And the leather cleaner and the leather conditioner were so-so, no better or worse than Lexol, but I didn't like the smell of it too much.

But I do like the glass cleaner and the lint free towels in the 150-sheet box quite a bit.:rockon:

6. MaggieMay

MaggieMay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Guys using the Liquid Glass - please post pics!! I'm curious to see the gloss from the glass :D

7. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Sorry the interior cleaner didn't do what you wanted it to do. I've had nothing but luck with it in the past as getting stains out of the center armrest, rear cargo carpet mat in my 2006 and even stains in my carpet in the house. And the smell of the 'leather' in the leather cleaner (I now use the spray on leather cleaner) is what makes me keep going back to it lol. It just keeps the leather smell in the car going and going. Glad you like the lint free towels though, I remember when i first bought a box of them years ago, like 7, I said nah these things cannot be that good but I was so mistaken. Try dropping them a line about what you do not like, maybe they will allow you to send it back for a refund, if they pay for shipping of course. Not worth it if you have to ship the stuff back. I've had luck with them every time sending stuff back for a replacement if it wore out or broke.

Visionrunner likes this.
  8. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I did create quite a challenge for the interior cleaner, so I figured I'd see what other uses it could be put to before I decided it wasn't what I needed. The kit also came with the spray on leather cleaner which I need to give another sniff test. And the packaging and shipping were great, in addition to the glass cleaner and towels. Cleaning the inside of the windshield has been a chore with the other stuff I use, but the lint free towels and microfiber cloth made it much easier.

Thanks for the suggestions on the carpet cleaning for the interior cleaner. I'll give that a go here in the house.

9. bluemonday

bluemonday New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did my first wash today. Went to one of those washing places with the self-serve bays for the convenience (my home is not well set up for a car wash) but only used their water and brought my own supplies. Washing went well but not real pleased with drying. I had little streaks and spots when done, especially on windows.

Not sure if I didn't have enough towels, or patience, or what.

Got my RejeX in the mail today, after the wash, so I'll try that next time.

I've heard of "paint-safe" squeegees, anybody have an opinion on these?

10. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Stay away, stay far far away... They'll scratch the clear coat up to no end. Use either USA made 100% cotton towels only, or good quality microfiber drying towels. (Or a chamois, but I cannot stand them for drying...)

As people have noted, I push Griots Garage products because one they are goof wuality, work for me and have great customer service. They make a squeegee which instead of having that silicone type blade like that california blade company, I think theirs is cellulose or some other material. I have not tried it and after scratching my clearcoat on one car with the old type I just will not go back to them. I do not see a reason for them. All you have to do is after the final rinse is take off the nozzle on the hose, and let the stream of water shed off the car starting from the top to bottom. This leaves virtually no water on the car to dry anyway...

1 person likes this.
  11. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just recently received my Zaino order and did use the product on my Gen III (winter gray metallic) and my wife's Gen II (black). Since both of our cars are darker, I went with the Z5, with a bottle of Z2 for the final coat. I washed the cars on separate weekends: washed with Dawn, used the clay bar before using the Zaino products. I was only able to get one coat on my car but was able to get 2 coats of Z5 with a coat of Z2 (using the Z6 spray in between coats) at the end. The finish, especially on my wife's Gen II, is amazing. She was even amazed, although she thought I was a bit of a freak to spend that much time wash and waxing.
    Herein lies my question to you Zaino users: The directions that were supplied with my order state that you should wait at least an hour before removing Z5 and that "You should wait 24 hours if outside temps are below 70 degrees F and 6 hours if temps are above 70F before applying a second coat of Z2/Z5." I could understand waiting an hour before removing, but are y'all waiting the minimum 6 hours before reapplying a second coat? It would seem that if this were the case, you'll have to spend a full day (18 hours) just to apply 3 coats. Thoughts? Suggestions to speed up the process? I like the results that Zaino gives, but I can't afford all that time anymore to detail the cars.

12. liverbomb88

liverbomb88 Push the Button!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you use ZFX accelerant and apply the Z5/Z2 thinly, you can buff it off as soon as it swipes clean with a finger. I generally apply the next coat immediately after buffing clean. I see multiple coats as providing coverage uniformity, not extra layers of thickness. (If the finger swipe test results in smearing, you are going to have to wait -- the most common cause is applying the sealant too thick.) However, I do wait at least overnight before spraying Z8 bling on.

Since time is more scarce for me nowadays, I just use ZAIO and then apply one coat of Z5 (for our dark car) and Z2 (for our light colored car) and call it a day. Don't need ZFX when using ZAIO.

Enjoy!

1 person likes this.
  13. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Update to my update on the Griot's Garage stuff. I tried the leather care spray again, paying particular attention to the smell, and it does have a nice leathery smell to it. It won't get any more of the dye transfer out of the seat, but it does make the mess I made look as good as possible under the circumstances.

And I used the interior cleaner on the driver's door edge, and it cleaned all the areas I touch getting into and out of the vehicle very nicely.

And I still absolutely love the glass cleaner, lint free towels, and the microfiber cloths for glass cleaning.

14. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Glad to hear it worked out for you in the end jay. I do remember when I first opened the leather cleaner some years back and was like omg, that smells just horrible but once applied and forgotten for a while it actually smells better when you return to the car.

Did you try the interior cleaner on the dye transfer on the leather? If not give that a try and then follow up that area with some leather cleaner just to re-moisturize. Worth a shot, I find interior cleans quite a bit I think it wouldn't since it looks like water and doesn't have any chemical smell whatsoever...

15. Star gazer

Star gazer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Are the glass cleaners ok to use on the water repellant glass windshield? I did not know if it would damage the coating which I presume is on the glass.
    When you have used the Zaino is it a bit difficult to get it off the car? I used it with the accelerant and did several coats, which looks very nice, but even with what I thought was thorough buffing and Z6 in between each coat I still found a number of areas of residual wax the next day or two.
    also any thought on the "liquid glass" that I have occasionally seen mentioned in various thread? Wondered if you had ever tried any as you seem to be very experienced in detailing cars.
    Thanks for all the great contributions to everyone on the site.

16. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've used glass cleaner on the repellant side windows - no problem. The cleaner does bead up more, but that's expected behavior. :p

17. Star gazer

Star gazer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks. I thought only the windshield was water repellant. Are all the windows treated? I might have to try getting some of the Griots items that you and Paradox are using in addition to the Zaino collection I just used.:)

18. Jon S

Jon S Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    only the front door windows are treated... and only on the model IV & V...

1 person likes this.
  19. bluemonday

bluemonday New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do you guys who use RejeX put it on the windshield as well as the rest of the car?

20. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I know of some who use it on the entire car--like any other synthetic. I prefer the natural look and depth of shine & color of carnauba wax, plus the application/removal process of the One Grand Blitz wax I sue is very easy.