1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Favorite Detailing Products

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by stream, Jun 6, 2009.

1. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I used Mequiar's PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner and Polish on the spoiler and headlight/taillight covers -- it works really well.

2. Welshdog

Welshdog Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Haven't detailed the 2010 yet, but I'll be using Meguiar's NXT wash, Diamondite Speedclay and Poorboys EX-P or Poorboys Polish with Carnauba.

And for those who worry about white haze/dust left on trim etc, I use the heck out of blue tape when applying polishes and waxes. Particularly when using an electric polisher. Extra work yes, but so is trying to clean that white stuff off of anything that is black.

3. schaefsn

schaefsn New Member

Model:
    IV
    I have been a big fan of the Griot's products. My uncle shows his classic GTO's all over the Ohio, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Michigan region and got me hooked. I have been very happy with their system because it is easy to apply and their customer support has been great. I had a 2001 Jeep Cherokee before my Gen III and I polished and used the Paint Sealant for the first time and it looked like a totally different (read - Better) car. Their products also smell amazing. I consistently use the Spray-on wax after I wash my wife's Acadia and it looks great. I do the paint sealant about every 6 months. I have not used the Paint Sealant on my car yet as I was waiting to have the paint protection film applied.

As an aside, the place that I had my paint protection applied, Performance Auto Spa right near Dublin, Ohio, now sells all of the Griot's products so you don't have to pay for shipping.

4. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just yesterday ordered the Griot's Garage Speed Shine detailer, microfiber window towels, and another box of lint free towels.

5. LRKingII

LRKingII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I really like AMAZ for removing water spots on glass. www.amaz.biz

6. Mike Bravo

Mike Bravo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    After 3 black cars in a row (hard and particular to detail), I now have a silver Prius. For me, I've found that the Klasse AIO is best. I use Klasse on the silver paint, the black plastic, the glass (not the windshield, though), the wheels and the matte black washer arm fairings. It leaves no residue, streaks and is compatible with all of those car surfaces. I'd rather polish the car more frequently than spend all that time on another coat of Klasse Sealant Glaze or a carnuba wax gloss coat. The benefits are diminishing for all that effort.

For other car care stuff, I've feel that regular, store bought car wash works just fine--all with much less expense. Washing, polishing/waxing, detailing technique has more impact on the overall outcome than branding.

There are plenty of quality products at the big-box stores for wash mits, soap, glass cleaner, wheel cleaner, fabric cleaner. No need to expense fancy stuff in those arenas. I use the Mother's clay when I clay - easy to find, cheaper than "fancy" clay, and the same stuff. I also use a Purdy paintbrush (2") to dust the interior bits instead of one of those "car specific interior brushes (an example of another non-car detailing specific product that is much better and cheaper).

My thoughts.

7. pri-serious

pri-serious New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I haven't got to read through the entire thread, but here's my question.

Do you still use Z8 in between coating if you use Griots spray wax?

Thanks

8. Muruseni

Muruseni Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Any suggestions to clean this?

Wondering if anyone might have suggestions on the best way to remove tree sap stains (not the sap itself)? I was thinking to try rubbing compound, but that may be too abrasive. Would clay bar remove? The pics are from my wife's mini, but I have the same problem on my dark grey Prius.

Thanks....

Attached Files:

9. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If you are applying multiple coats of Zaino, don't use the spray on wax at all. Always use the Z6 or Z8. The Z8 costs more so there is no need to use that instead of the z6 between coats.

10. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Re: Any suggestions to clean this?

Clay bar is designed to remove surface contaminants, so I would give it a try.

11. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Re: Any suggestions to clean this?

Are you sure thats from tree sap? Looks more like a rust stain to me.

Try the claybar...but you may have to move up to something more aggressive than that...post back your results and I'll guide you further...

12. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    hey Paradox, what do you think of Z6 compared to Z8? I used Claybar - ZFX - Z2 - Z6 - Z2 - Z6. Would using Z8 add anything noticeble?

13. Jill E

Jill E Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Heard a lot about Zaino but I just love Klasse AIO especially since this car sits at work under the heat of the Socal sun. And for clay bar I use Mother's as many others do. But for my caranuba wax, I blackfire wax. Yes, I know there are tons of other waxes out there, but its soooo easy to apply AND REMOVE! Zymol gave me nightmares on removal. Maybe I have bad technique but at least I can't go wrong with the ease and results of blackfire

And my other car is a black Subaru legacy. And if you have a black car, invest in a dual action polisher or else you'll go crazy seeing those swirls =(