1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My First 1000 miles - What I've Learned

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rsforkner, Apr 29, 2008.

1. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    OK, I'm going to cheat a little. 950 miles but tomorrow I leave for a 400 mile trip.

I drove my Barcelona Red Prius #2 off the dealer’s lot on April 8, 2008. I just passed the 1000-mile mark. Having read these forums and trying various driving styles I have attempted to summarize some of the things I have learned, in no particular order.

Comfort
    1. The seats are fine for driving around town but leave a bit to be desired on long trips. (I purchased a lumbar support cushion)
    2. Back seat room surprises a lot of folks.
    3. Lots of clever little storage places.
    4. There is no convenient place for a trash bag.
    5. I have to buy a new coffee cup to fit the cup holders.

Performance
    1. Taking off from a light, you don’t have to take a back seat to anyone. (Kills MPG, however.)
    2. Coasting, ghosting, and various other techniques can increase mileage, a little, but are also a distraction from the road. (Can also upset other drivers.)
    3. Cruse vs Manual speed control. Much like the standard vs automatic transmission arguments from 40 years ago, the manual methods will, no doubt, give better mileage in the hands of a very skillful driver. However, as much as we like to think of ourselves as skilled (myself included) most of us are more typical than skilled. Thus, for the majority, Cruse Control and automatic transmissions will, in the long run, provide the better mileage.
    4. I love to buy gas and fill ‘er up with 7-8 gallons of gas

Annoyances
    1. You can’t see the front or rear of the car from the driver’s seat.
    2. The inside backup beeper is a real annoyance. (It has been disabled)
    3. Rear view visibility is severely limited by the spoiler.
    4. A 12V receptacle is needed in the back seat, not in the bottom of the console
    5. The 41 mph electric motor limit should be 51, at least in the US where 45 mph is very common on city streets.
    6. The fuel gage stinks.
    7. The speedometer panel is too dim while wearing sunglasses on a bright, sunny day. (I don’t know if tinting will help or not, I’m looking into that.) Hey, I’m 64 and a lot is getting dimmer, so give me a break.

Miscellaneous
    1. Red cars are fun. Now if I could just see some of it from inside
    2. It takes at least a month to begin to use the back-up camera effectively. (A regular lens would be a nice addition.)
    3. That little tray in the console is a pain: keeps falling out. It would slide in the Camry
    4. The “bottle holder†doesn’t fit any water bottle I have.
    5. I still find myself reaching in my pocket when I approach the car.
    6. I still reach up by the steering wheel to turn of the key when stopping. (It’s getting better.)

Gosh, this list sounds like a lot of negatives and I really didn’t intend it to be that way. I guess a number of items are just personal preference. I love my Prius, and my wife, and can’t imagine trading either one. I was well aware that when trading my Camry LE I would give up a few things. However, I am not disappointed at all.

Bob

2. Brodie

Brodie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    In response to "Annoyances, #8": have you found the dimmer switch to the left of the steering wheel? I had the same thought...gee, how am I going to see anything in the summer when I wear sunglasses all the time? Then I found the dimmer....turn all the way up during the day - presto, no problems seeing anything. Turn down 1 click at night to keep the windshield reflection manageable.

3. dwdean

dwdean Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Bob, what kind of lumbar support did you get, I've got bad disks in my back and know from riding in my parent's Prius that on long trips the seats do bother my back. (And yet, I still bought the car....)

I've not found many of those support cushions that really work and was wondering what sort of solution you'd found.

Thanks!

4. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I think that's a very fair list. I don't have much probs with the fuel gauge but then again since I live in AZ I believe the weather makes ours less of a pain. :) The water bottle observation is funny because I said the same thing to myself after I bought mine. ;) The backup camera was flawless for me. This was due to the fact that I have other vehicles with them and since the Prius is by far the clearest rear camera I've used it was actually one of the most exciting initial features I liked... though very quickly that excitement diminished after I heard the reverse beep and it ruined all the fun. :D

5. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, first thing I went looking for. Maybe I'm just getting old. <SIGH>

Bob

6. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I found one on line that looked OK but not wanting to wait I went to the Brookstone store at the mall. They didn't have what I was looking for but did have one that looked pretty good. A bit pricey at $50 but then I was told they were a close out at $25 each. I bought 2, one for me and one for my wife.

It didn't fit the Prius seat very well but fit my recliner at home so I kept it. My wife tried it and and found it too aggressive so I took one of them back. I'm still looking for the perfect one for the car. Brookstone did have a foam one that I though about trying. It was the right color and all but at $50 was just not worth it.

So I guess I am still looking...

Bob

7. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks...

This is my first camera and the "fish-eye" takes some getting used to judging distance. I may paint a black line across the driveway in front of the house to use as a reference so I don't run into the side of the house. I like to get within a couple of feet of the house.

Bob

8. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

No Bob you aint old. not yet anyway! You just have crummy sunglasses! You deserve a better pair!

The hump in the center under the dash is a good place for a bag. Just put some velcro on the hump and velcro a cheap potato chip bag clip to it to hold your trash bag! ( you know, they sell those multi-color clips in a pkg in the chips aisle)

9. bob749prius

bob749prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi Bob:
    I totally agree with your observations. I've added to my list of essential items like spare tire and jack, a pair of jumper cables. One more thing that is very important to point out. There appears to be a VERY serious blind spot on both sides of the car. No matter how I tweak the mirrors, it would be easy to miss seeing a car that is in the left or right lane adjacent to the car. I bought two cheap, small stick-on-exterior mirrors and I feel much safer driving in all kinds of traffic. I'll be making a 1600 mile trip from FL to WI in two weeks. Good way to break in the car.

10. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I probably use my camera different than most. I extensively use my side mirrors in vehicles. When I'm backing up I'm looking at my driver and passenger mirrors the entire time. As I go from one to the other I'll glance at the rear camera watching my bumper. I really only use the camera I suppose to judge how far back I am. Because of this, I really only have to glance at the bumper (on the screen) and whatever I'm backing up to.... When I start running out of daylight between the image of the Prius bumper and whatever I'm backing up to I know it's probably about time to hit the brakes. ;) Using this method I've pulled within a couple of inches of parking garages, my other car in the driveway, other cars while parallel parking, etc probably a hundred times in the 6 months I've had it. :)

Mike

11. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Mike, reinforces my belief that I'll get used to it. I tend to do a lot like you do with the side mirrors until I get real close. Just takes some getting used to. It's only been a couple of weeks.

Now if I can just get one in front for when I want to inch up on something going forward. No matter how hard I try I just can't manage to see where the front of the car is. I'm getting better but still....

Bob

12. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Got the cables. Been carrying them since I moved from Michigan in '85. Never used them since but I still got them.

When I traded the Camry and I was with the finance guy the salesman moved all of my stuff to the new car. When I caught up with him I asked him if he got it all. "I sure did," he replied. I said, "I'll bet you missed something." I walked over to the trunk of the Camry, opened the trunk, flipped back the carpet and opened the spare tire well. There were the jumper cables, neatly coiled around that donut they call a spare. I just smiled and threw them in the Prius.

I agree with the blind spot and am extra careful. A couple of stick on mirrors sounds like a good idea.

I'm headed to Michigan in August.

Bob

13. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    A cheap potato chip bag clip in my Brand New Barcelona Red Prius? Please!

Got to be something more classy than that. :)

Bob

14. rpiereck

rpiereck Regenerator

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That's a pretty good list, there are a few items I gree with, some that I don't.

For one thing, I think the Prius seats are fine. It takes some time getting used to the, especially coming from another car, but in a few miles they are good. I have been driving my Prius 4 to 6 hours a day for the last four days and I find the seats very comfortable. The rear spoiler doesn't bother me at all; one of the first cars I ever had was a Volkswagen Scirocco, which also had a spoiler across the rear window like the Prius, and that's fine with me.

I find that the little tray in the console is the perfect place for trash, I fill it up as I drive and empty it when I refuel the car. Not big enough for cups and larger stuff, those I just get rid off when I stop somewhere.

I agree that the backup beeper is an annoyance, and I have also disabled mine. The backup camera would be excellent if it were located on the centerline of the car; as it is, located a bit to the left of centerline, makes it confusing to use it to backup. 12v receptacle in the rear would be great too! And I totally agree with your comment about the 41 mph limit on the electric motor.

15. dwdean

dwdean Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Bob,

Thanks for the input. I'll look at Brookstone, but you're right, $50 is a little steep, but then again I should know better. When my back acts up, I'd pay millions to be out the pain.

If I find something that I think works, I'll post it, please do the same. I doubt that we're the only two Prius owners with this particular problem, though for a while I did think I was the only one this. Heck, I remember the first time was in my parent's for 4 hours and thought it was just me being a wuss.

A rolled up hand towel (OK more folded) worked as a temporary thing, but I'd like some that didn't look so rigged.

16. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That tray is where I keep a small notepad and a couple of pens for quick notes.

Has anybody tried that license plate camera? Is it a plug-in replacement for the stock camera? Is it still wide angle? I'm thinking switch.

With grandkids in backseat watching DVDs the extra plug would help. Maybe I'll look into a simple mod.

Bob

17. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Funny, I use the towel thing too. Not very elegant but does help.

Hope these links work. Here are a couple I looked at. Brookstone: NapForm™ Lumbar Support
    I gave this one a good look, but still $50. It also comes in Camel which would be a good match for my car.

Here's another that I didn't see: Brookstone: NapForm™ Mini Lumbar Support Cushion

Both have good reviews so maybe I'll spring for the $50 anyway. I don't think I would buy online if there is a store close by.

Bob

18. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have a lumbar support like this one for my bad back. I find it's pretty comfortable and durable, and I can drive for a couple hours at a time without pain. It's also pretty inexpensive, so no great loss to try it out if you don't like it. Adjustable? Sure, you can slide it up and down the seat :)

19. Cliff Archie

Cliff Archie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    -------------------------
    i use the pull out drawer in the bottom front of the console as a trash can...it has a decent amount of space for gum wrappers, used tissues etc.....best of all it closes out of sight when not being used...if you happen to spill some sort of liquid it is easily cleaned and it will contain the liquid from getting on the carpet...

20. freshmtt

freshmtt Dachshund Addict

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Can someone please post how to disable that annoying backup beep please!!, It also irritates the heck out of me and I want it to stop!!!!!

I don't mind the seats, I think they are very comfortable. I like higher up feeling and being more firm. I was worried about coming down from an SUV and did not want that feeling like I was sinking into the car and my butt would be scraping the street. So the seats are wonderful for me, that is one of the things that sold me the car, and the back seats going down..

I have already gotten used to the divided back window and have found it no longer bothers me, just was kind of weird on the test drive until I got used to it.