1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My first 5,000 miles free service from dealer

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by NewYorkan, Jun 13, 2014.

1. FlipFeel

FlipFeel New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I live in the desert and it may fall under "special operating conditions" in which case it is recommend to change oil every 5k if I am reading the warranty and maintenance correctly. This could be why I was told the oil would be change, (at least I really feel like they said it would be changed every 5k miles). However I was still under the impression that it would be changed 5 times for free, not 2.

2. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    ^When you go in, tell the service writer that the salesman assured you the oil would be changed every 5000 miles because of the severe conditions and see what he says. :sneaky:

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The OP could just take the standard service freebies, and spring for the extra oil changes he's wanting. Everybody happy? Probably not.:whistle:

4. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Alas, your "impression" counts for pretty much nothing when it comes right down to it.

I think my car has a separate little pamphlet about the "complimentary" service but I haven't read it either.

Anyhow, even if it really covers the "necessary" routine maintenance for the first 2 years or 24K miles and 5K oil changes are necessary in your situation, how do you come up with 5 ? 5K, 10K, 15K, 20K........looks like 4 to me. :)

5. astricklin

astricklin New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
  6. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    SIGH.
    You are about as dense as Toyota is.
    They "give" you the first two oil changes.
    It makes no damn difference to them at what mileage you choose to cash in those "vouchers".
    At least my service adviser knows enough about customer service that he didn't argue with me further when I explained to him that my first two changes would be at 5K and 10K......and then I would be paying for them after that.

[edit]
    AND.....I was wrong too. How is it that you think the "fine print" over-rides the big print above that which clearly states that the oil will be changed every 5K miles ?? And there is no little 2 "note" by that item either.

But thanks for the link.
    I am going to print it out and take it with me in the future.......up to 25,000 miles.

#26 Easy Rider, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  7. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Wow... that link basically kills Toyota. It explicitly says that they're changing the oil every 5k miles and is in the US.

8. rotpwc

rotpwc New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Actually, every 5000 miles they rotate the tires. And every 10000 miles they do an oil change

9. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    He was describing his personal maintenance cycle.

10. Garage47.com

Garage47.com New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Prius C does not need an oil change for the first 5K service, the 5k service should only include an inspection of Brake System, Fluid levels, and floor mats, a tire rotation is also recommended. The first oil change needs to be done at 10K
    Hope this was helpful. Please visit our website @ Home, follow us on twitter @Garage_47, or on Facebook @ http://www.facebook.com/Garagefortyseven

-Colten

#30 Garage47.com, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  11. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You are the correct one.

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I was allowed to set the maintenance as I saw fit, within the rules. So I showed up at 10k and 20k miles for oil exchange and tyres rotation.

13. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    That's a matter of opinion.

It may not "need" it but I refuse to let any new engine go 10,000 miles without a change of oil and filter........no matter what the "recommendation" is.

14. Squirrelly

Squirrelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Is any one with an experienced Prius C actually waiting for first ever oil change til 10,000mi? I was always told on a new engine to change oil sooner, like at 3000. My wife's dad is an old mechanic and he says definitely change oil every 3k if you want to maximize engine life.

15. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    That was the old way. Engines have changed and so has motor oil. Just follow your maintenance manual recommendation. I had a 2011 Prius Two for 3 years and right from the beginning I changed the oil every 10,000 miles. I just bought a new Avalon Hybrid and 10,000 mile oil change is recommended and that is when it will be changed.

16. Squirrelly

Squirrelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I think I am going to change at 5k.
    If dealer does it fine, if not I'll pay.
    Then I'll get the 2 free ones later, at 10k and 20k or at 2 years which will probably come first for me. Only have 650 miles on it now, so a long way to go. I'll just feel better about getting the "break in" oil out of there for the fresh oil at 5k. But that's just me.

17. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You have to do what is comfortable for you. Your car does not have "break in" oil. It has regular oil, probably synthetic oil. No "break in" oil anymore. If it makes you comfortable changing it at 5,000 miles then do it. If you don't you will probably worry about it. I worry about things also. I always change my cabin filter and air filter probably sooner than I need to. We all have these things that we just have to do regardless. Good luck with your new car. You are going to take care of it and that's good.

ztanos likes this.
  18. Squirrelly

Squirrelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Actually I just looked at my window sticker again, and mine comes with a "TOYOGUARD Plus package" for $699 that includes one oil change with filters among other stuff, so that free one will be my 5000 mile oil change. Then the 10k and 20k oil changes will be the regular scheduled maintenance free ones.

#38 Squirrelly, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2014