1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My first attempt at hypermiling = FAIL

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Joe-G, Apr 23, 2013.

1. jsfabb

jsfabb Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Whenever I hit stop and go traffic on the way home is when I get my best mileage. The key is that you can't be in traffic too long. I usually put it in EV Mode and do P&G in that mode. The key is knowing when to take your foot off of the gas (electric) pedal and start gliding like Codyroo said. The EV Mode gives me a little more responsiveness so I can accelerate quicker and glide longer.

2. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That sounds right I do this every day on the Koch bridge (or other areas of stop and go you better of using the ICE to propell than use the regen to slow down without actually breaking I agree this is hard at sub 5 mph ...

3. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Single Lane!!!!

~1.5 miles of single lane! You are going to be golden using pulse and glide in this type of situation.

One of the truly great things about hybrids (especially the Prius) is the ability to look at traffic situations (slow and go construction zone) in a different light. Where-as most car drivers are like "Ugh.....3 miles of this" you can be "Wow, 3 miles of boosting my mileage". What an opportunity (that is after you get past the "zipper" of cars squeezing into one lane).

You know, for kicks, you might consider resetting your "B Trip" meter once you are in the single lane construction area and see what kind of mileage you get for those 3 miles.

4. Joe-G

Joe-G Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ^^^ I'll do it!

5. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I guess you still entertain this idea ... it is not worth your time unless you have the ability to hack/modify the car several computers' programms even then putting more charge into them just by the ICE will hurt not help your MPG. Most of the the savings comes from the regen and by modifying the ICE operating range which is assisted by the motors (tourqe) very efficent shutt off capabilities .. but very little comes from the full EV mode ...

I am driving priui since 2007 and read a lot about how it works still not an expert but if it would worth it Toyota would have done it ... !!! Or some OEM-s ... and what you would be able to gain is not compatible with highway driving at your style ...

Just my 2c

6. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    BUZZZZZZZ! WRONG!!! Driving at or slightly below the speed limit does not "cause people to abruptly make frequent lane changes". Sounds very much like it is you, who has a serious problem with your ego and anyone going faster than you. Do you even know what the MINIMUM speed is on the various streets and highways of your routes?

Here's the super scientific method of hypermiling: drive slower, per very specific instructions here on PriusChat! That usually means driving in (gawd forbid) the right hand lane. Many, MANY people will pass you and you will get there 5-10 minutes later. Oh, the horror!

7. Joe-G

Joe-G Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My ego?

Ursoboostd likes this.
  8. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Try driving 60 mph in the right lane for 30 minutes and you will know what he means. It is very emasculating to be "the slowest" guy on the road and nothing you've ever done behind the wheel will be more difficult than driving slow. Try it and report back.

kenoarto likes this.
  9. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have found that driving at 60mph is really no different than driving at 70mph except that at faster speeds it is you who gets annoyed. Personally, I'd rather drive slower and let other folks stress.

I have tried driving faster but found that no matter what you do you are always in someone's way. At those faster speeds you will end up with slower traffic being in your way as well. So it really is a losing proposition. Worse fuel economy and being annoyed is not my idea of a pleasant commute. :)

kenoarto likes this.
  10. Chaloney

Chaloney Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Exactly right. As one of the slowest, I know that the way I am driving means people will pass me. A lot. Driving "with the flow of traffic" means there are still people who will tailgate and pass me (annoying) AND there are others going slower who will "get in my way" when I'm just trying to drive "safely" and "the way I should" (doubly annoying) and it only takes a 1-2 mph difference for them to slow me down "unnecessarily!" I never let myself get too annoyed with any of these people in the past, mainly because it made me hate driving even more than I already did. Now I hang out with the slow pokes in the right lane, 0-10 under the posted speed limit, relaxed and engaged in what I am doing. I have found I actually enjoy driving, something that hasn't happened since I graduated high school 20 years ago.

kenoarto likes this.
  11. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The OP Joe-G question:

How do you do superhighway driving (+50 mph) hypermiling without drafting?

01) try to pick a route and a time when very few or nobody is driving on the road with you. Avoid rush hour or times when traffic jams are likely to occur. The less objects on the road the easier it is to hypermile. Plan your trips. Give yourself more time to get to your destination. Hypermiling requires that you be aware of your driving environment - so radio, cellphones, eating, and other distractions are a no-no. In hypermiling, the driver needs to focus on being able to predicting the driving conditions atleast 60 second ahead

02) Favor driving on smooth dry multi-lane highway and drive in the right lane. Avoid driving when the roads are icy snowy or wet.

03) Avoid extreme driving temperatures. The Prius is very sensitive to temperature - with 60 to 80 F degrees being the best driving temperatures.

04) Avoid short trips - The Prius as well as other hybrids don't get very good MPGs when the driving trips under 20 minutes/5 miles. The Prius gets is best MPG when driven over 40 to 120 minutes per trip (10 to 40 miles per trip). This is because of the overhead of starting up and heating up the ICE/transmission/exhaust systems.

05) Do not speed - the higher the speed the lowers the MPGs. However, do avoid impeding traffic. Avoid being a part of any unsafe situations on the road ( one way to ruin your MPGs is to get into a traffic accident)... Drive above the min speed limit if it is posted.

06) Avoid using the Prius' regenerative brakes - translation of mechanical to electrical energy is lossy energy conversion ( you lose between 40% to 80% of mechanical energy when converting it to electrical energy) . In theory - the most energy efficient hypermiling trip using the regenerative brakes only once- at the end of the trip.

Hypermiling is about conserving momentum and potential gravitational energy.

07) Try to synch all your accelerate when the Prius is going downhill using a technique known to hypermilers as Drive with Load (DWL) - your temporary top speed can be as high as 65-70 mph. If you want a theoretical explanation of why DWL works then wiki the term gravity-assist .

08) Speed up before going uphill, then hold the throttle steady as the Prius climbs the hill but allow the Prius to decelerate on the uphill (this is the other half of DWL -- using a ScangaugeII this means keeping the throttle between 1000 to 1380 RPM/ .75 to 1.15 GPH (on the Prius HSI display this is under the "O" of the "ECO" light capsule ).

09) If you have a ScangaugeII - when accelerating try to keep your LOD = 75-85 during a pulse. LOD from what I understand is something akin to the ICE compression ratio/efficiency - going over 90 risk initiating a *rich* fuel-air mix and thus lower MPGs.

10) Avoid high speeds when turning - cars with a higher center of gravity like the Prius lose more energy from centrifugal frictional forces than cars with lower center of gravity like a Vette ( BBC High Gear's Jeremy Clarkson got the fuel efficiency of a Prius to drop by racing the Prius along tight curves/bends in the road. The Prius fuel efficiency is better when it is driven in a straight line). The maximum speed for a 3rd generation Prius turning 90 degrees is 22 mph - if you go above this speed while attempting to do a 90 degree turn - the Prius computer takes over and forces you to go slower...leading to lower MPGs.

11) Downhill routes where you drop elevation by several hundred or thousand feet have the highest potential for very good MPG. Uphill routes where you go up in elevation by several hundred or thousand feet have the lowest potential for very good MPG. It all averages out - So when the going is good you do your best to compensate for when the going is bad.

12) Use "D" transmission mode all the time, avoid using "B" setting

13) used either Normal or "Power" mode to get better timing of the accelerator.

14) inflate your tires to the max sidewall settings - to reduce road tire rolling resistance.

15) minimize external aerodynamic drag - don't install things like car ski/roof/bike racks

16) Roll up your windows. If you have to open up your windows only allow about 1/2 inch crack. Never allow the cabin temperature to go over 90F - turn on the AC if u have to - because the Prius passenger cabin air is use to cool the HV battery inverters.

17) use 100% gas over E10 - 100% gas has more BTUs/energy per gallon than 10% ethanol gas.

18) keep you car's cargo/payload as light as possible. However, for a 3000 pound car like the Prius, 50 pounds of safety equipment (like your temporary spare tire and jack) isn't going to make much of a difference when it comes to your fuel efficiency.

19) Any car can be used to hypermile( even a Corvette or Porsche Carrea can be hypermiled). However, electric cars, hybrids, vehicles with Manual Transmission(MT), and vehicles that are flat -towable ( stop-start idle tech OR the ability for the driver to manually turned off and started the ICE while the MT is in Neutral and the car is moving, e.g. Honda Fit with MT ) benefit the most in fuel efficiency when hypermiled.

20) Maintain your car and keep it in good condition: That means: doing scheduled maintenance, keeping your wheels aligned, replace your LRR tires with LRR tires when needed, and so forth. A well cared for car has the better chance for hi fuel efficiency.

21) Gliding at speeds over 50 mph is almost impossible because of aerodynamic drag unless you have a steep enough downhill grade OR you have a tailwind. When you do - pulse your vehicle to your target top speed at the *top* of the hill and then glide/coast as much as you can and as long as you can!

hope this helps
    Walter Lee aka HyperDrive 1

kenoarto likes this.
  12. Joe-G

Joe-G Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ahh. I used to deliver furniture in a big truck that couldn't do 65 without a tail wind so I'm well familiar with being the slowest guy out there.;)

I do prefer to drive with traffic at the speed of the pack. It's not an ego thing as the previous poster surmised, however. I prefer to blend in, lot lead or lag. I also prefer blue over red. Just a preference, not an ego thing.

If that means I won't make the "Hypermiler" list then so be it, but the other posts in this thread have taught me a lot....I'm already up to 57 mpg on my current tank and holding over 1/2 way through the tank!:)

Goes to show, a well placed tip can be very helpful to a guy; condescending insults, not so much.

Ursoboostd and Codyroo like this.
  13. Joe-G

Joe-G Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ^^^Walter Lee, thanks for the post, some excellent tips in there.

Forgot to answer your question...I don't think what I am doing can be classified as "hypermiling" as I've now learned more about what it really means. I don't draft as I keep fairly long distances between myself and the car in front of me.

I think I need to look into this scangauge ii. When I race my Vette I log 24 OBDii parameters on my laptop and review them later tweaking out the last bit of performance...it has helped both my performance and the performance of the car dramatically to see what's going on after the drive, looking for good and bad.

I think I might be well served to do a bit of this on my Prius if I can find a logging scan tool.

14. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The ScangaugeII is useful for real time acceleration adjustments.
    Torque Android app is much more snazzier and hip- much of the fundamental techniques that use the ScangaugeII can be applied using Torque.
    However, the ScangaugeII is well understood and well documented.

15. Chaloney

Chaloney Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    If you have an iPhone instead of android, engine link is a new app that seems to be much like torque.

16. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It took me months to get used to driving 55 mph in my last car and it was excruciating. With the Prius, I'm closer to 60 mph (usually 58 mph real, 60 mph displayed) and I'm OK with it. I get passed by everyone. When I go to fill it up, I'm a happy camper. Last fill up for me was 64.8 mpg displayed (61.5 mpg calculated).

kenoarto and F8L like this.
  17. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    BTW,

I've been meaning to point out that you have 3x vehicles with 3x different utilities. 1 car for commuting less expensively, one car for speed and handling performance, and 1 truck for utility. Well done!

I've noticed, as a society, we tend to pat ourselves on the back for buying a vehicle that serves our purpose 5% of the time and ignore the other 95% of its actual use. For example: I know someone who bought a 4wd SUV because they go skiing at Tahoe in the winter. Translation: 6 weekends a year (18 days a year) they will, potentially, use the 4wd capability of this vehicle. The other 347 days, they use it to drive to work/errands on paved roads.

Joe-G and Ursoboostd like this.
  18. Joe-G

Joe-G Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks - and yes, the Prius makes a lot of sense - the truck costs $18 in fuel alone each day to/from work! That's nuts. While throwing that money away doesn't change what I eat for breakfast, I've grown tired of throwing that money away. I keep my vehicles a long time, truck 16 years, Vette 8 and since I have parking available it makes sense. Wouldn't if I had car payments on all three. I am mad that I have to pay more insurance; I argue with my agent that I can only drive one car at a time but that's not how it works. But it's pretty cheap on partial use vehicles.

I am a car nut and always have been. The technology in the Prius is amazing to me, and I am enjoying learning how to drive for max mileage. Though I'm not going to go 55 mph to save fuel (I lived through that era along with Sammy Hagar), I will admit that I drove my buddies to the drag strip Saturday for an event, 160 miles @ 70, w/ AC and their extra 450 lbs and I was dismayed to watch my 57 mpg tank drop to 54. :( So I see what you mean what a huge effect it has. And you will be glad to know I did keep it at 70 vs 80 which is what I'd do in the Vette.:LOL:

And I have to say I like the notion of teaching my young kids a lesson in practicality.:)

19. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Truly stated.

Lesson #1 - Identify your needs and get the tools that address those needs.
    Lesson #2 - Buy the best quality product you can afford and that makes sense for the job.
    Lesson #3 - Hold onto those tools, don't change them out because an advertiser wants to sell you the latest gizmo.
    Lesson #4 - Be responsible and take care of your tools. Since you bought a quality product, they should last a long time.

Sounds like you are teaching your young kids well.

Joe-G likes this.
  20. Joe-G

Joe-G Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    PRECISELY! And very well stated indeed. Thank you for the kind words.

I'm still using some of my grandfather's tools, and I bought the most expensive Craftsman set I could afford in 1981 when I got my first car...and I still use that set to this day. Love that lifetime guarantee! I've added to it over the years but it's still the foundation.

I figured I'd find kindred souls in the Prius world as I have in the Vette world.:)

Some of my Vette buddies gave me a hard time about the Prius...others understood. Different horses for different courses. You might get a kick out of the thread:

Joe_G has a new whip... - Corvette Forum

By the way, if I ever want to stir a pot (I've been known to) all I have to do is post this picture and the haters come out in droves!:LOL:

[​IMG]

I see that the Prius comes pre-drilled for a hitch, I have to buy one. My 10 y/o son recommended yesterday that we take our family trip in the Prius vs. the minivan due to the mileage, I responded we don't have room for our gear and he pointed out our trailer. lol