1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My first bleeding edge computer

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by jerrymildred, Nov 27, 2020.

1. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I never buy bleeding edge computer equipment. Or really any other kind of brand new tech. But I took the plunge today. My 2015 15" MacBook Pro is getting long in the tooth and the battery is down to about 2-3 hours depending on how hard I press it. I could put in a new battery; I'm perfectly capable of that. But then I'd still have a fairly old machine and a heavy one.

Sooooooo ... I just ordered one of the new M1 MacBook Pros. According to Geekbench 5, my present computer is over twice as fast as the previous one and the new one will be over twice as fast as the one I'm using now. And cost a lot less. And weigh a lot less. Here's a speed comparison going from the previous to my present to the new machine.
    Geekbench Compare.png

I figure that the difference between 13" and 15" isn't all that great. My wife has a 13" MBP and it's pretty nice. Besides, I almost always have the laptop connected to my 27" 4K monitor anyway.

Henrik Helmers and Data Daedalus like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mine is a 2013 and the same problem. in what circumstances does the increased speed help?

after 7 years of a $2,000. computer, i'm considering windows on a $3-400. asus/acer.

chronon and Data Daedalus like this.
  3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    As we approach mid day ... it may very well be that bleeding edge tech has begun to move forward yet another increment.
    [​IMG]
    today's bleeding edge = tomorrow's stone hinge
    ;)

4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the difference between 13" and 15" is huge. Maybe not for the workspace display size, but the box size and weight difference would completely preclude the 15" and above laptop for my consideration. For me the laptop means portability. Anything too big or too heavy will not work. That being said, I had to set up my current work from home equipment in hurry back in March. I had a new desktop box on order, but it did not arrive on time. So I had to repurpose an older HP 15" laptop as my take-home machine. I would not want to lug this laptop in my briefcase but right now it is connected to a docking station and three 24" monitors with its lid permanently closed and AC adaptor connected 24/7. It is a desktop workstation for me.

Data Daedalus and jerrymildred like this.
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I recently stumbled on a whole website dedicated to my first bleeding-edge computer (though it wasn't, technically, mine ... the first I did serious programming on).

This was a serious ad, I'm sorry to say:

wff.jpg

Sorry for the slightly potato-cam appearance ... for old-time's sake I applied image compression until it would fit in 8 kB, which is what ours had. All of it.

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Compared to yesteryear - 1969 iirc
    We put men on the moon & back - first in Apollo 11. Its Guidance Computer (70lbs) operated at 0.043 Mhz with 2kb memory & 32kb of storage.
    ;)

Data Daedalus and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. NewHybridOwner

NewHybridOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My first computer (well, actually co-owned with a fellow grad student) was an "Osborne 1" "portable" (better called "luggable"): 64K RAM, two 92K 5-1/4" single-sided single-density floppy drives, 5" screen. I bought single-sided disks and cut additional notches so I could use the other side as well. At a computer show I saw an external 5MB drive costing $2K and thought to myself, "If only I could afford one of those, I'd never have to buy another floppy disk"!!!!

8. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do a lot of photo processing from RAW images. Also audio production and the occasional video.

That's an excellent point. When I think about it, the 15" isn't big enough for all day work anyway and it weighs a ton compared to the 13".

I read somewhere a year or two ago that one iPhone 6s would have been able to to the computing work load of something like 10 million Apollo moon landings. I did a super-quick search just now and didn't find that article but this one, in celebration of the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11, claims 120 million. Sort of. Your iPhone Is 120 Million Times+ More Powerful Than the Computer That Sent Men to the Moon

I did that, too, with my 1st computer, a Commodore 64. I don't remember now how it formatted the disks but I remember having to use peek and poke commands to manually put data in specific addresses in order to format a floppy. :sick:

PS. I just got it home and will start setting it up soon. Apple made in-store pickup of online orders really smooth.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I still have a working Handspring Visor PDA.

Fits in a pocket. Has the same amount of RAM and I think roughly the same CPU oomph as the VAX that 1,700 of us in college were sharing to do our assignments.

10. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just finished transferring all my files, apps, login stuff, and so on to the new machine.

11. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    My first work computer. Wordperfect 5.0 RULES!!!

[​IMG]

Data Daedalus, jerrymildred and hill like this.
  12. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Saw lots of those growing up, but never had one.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my dad repaired those

15. NewHybridOwner

NewHybridOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We used mechanical calculators like that for a statistics class I took in the late '60s. Was "Monroe" the brand, perhaps?

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    us too . . . . . slide rule - way more high tech than the abacus.
    even so ... the folks using those are by no means slouches

;)

17. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The people who designed those mechanisms must have been flat out geniuses!

And the ones who repaired them had to be pretty bright, too.

I've been wishing for years that I still had the slide rule I used in high school. In fact, I just found a vintage wooden beginner's slide rule on Ebay and ordered it. (My rule was plastic.)

Back to the new computin' machine: I think I have everything set up now and this thing flies. Battery won't quit. Fan never seems to need to run. And the keyboard seems a little better than my old one and my big keyboard with the wire. And it's far better than the one on my wife's 2-year old MBP with the dreaded and oft' maligned butterfly keyboard.

AND ... I found a menu meter app that will give me a notice when the battery goes above a certain percent while charging or below a certain percent when discharging. I set it up to try to help me keep it between 40-80%. Only problem is that it can't seem to see the CPU temperature or fan speed. Probably in a future update. Looks like this but is very configurable.
    Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 11.39.58 AM.png

ETP likes this.
  18. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    My father’s first job as an electrician was running patch wires in the Weston 2 mainframe

one guy would run a wire between 2 cabinets and 2 others would verify it was in the right spot and passed signal

19. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    What's the name of the app?

20. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    who remembers the orig "Leading Edge" 8086 PC, IBM PC Clone? talking probably 1986 here

RRxing and Rmay635703 like this.