1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My First Drive to work and back

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by ukr2, Jan 31, 2017.

1. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    The Prime puts a Smile on my face.

I drove in Eco and EV Mode (not auto). The Prime has a great feel.
    Doesn't sway around the corners, stays flat. Very tight and sporty.
    Accelerator responds with a lot of pickup for an Prius.
    AND the ICE STAYS OFF. I love it.
    I drove the 65 mph expressway for 6 miles on EV at 72 mph. (I used to switch to HV here to save battery.)
    It seemed to only drop the EV distance 6 miles too, not more because of the speed.

I tested the Dynamic Radar Cruise Control. I love it.
    Set it to the desired speed with 1 bar of sensitivity out of 3.
    If someone pulled in front or slowed down, the Cruise slowed me down, then would pick up as they would.
    And if they really slowed down, the Pre-Collision Brake Assist function took over and started braking.
    All without my intervention, until I didn't want to play Chicken anymore!!!
    I tested this a few time and felt it started both deceleration and braking when I would have. I love it.

I still have to find the displays that show EV%, HV%, etc that were on the old PIP Energy Monitor.
    Also, like I did for the old PIP, I'm removing the tire jack and tire compressor, since I don't plan to use either, with Free Roadside Assistance and the Tire Flat gunk is bad for the tire sensors. It also reduces the weight and saves energy.

2. dalcon95

dalcon95 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I love my Prius Prime Advanced!!! Congratulations on your purchase!!!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. Optimus PRIME

Optimus PRIME Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Ken,

I have a few videos that will show you how to customize the screens, including getting the Split Screen setup on the main screen, as well as turning the Battery % on the Multi-Information Screen. And lastly, Congrats and welcome to the PRIME club!

Toyota Prius PRIME 2017 (New Model) - YouTube

bowang likes this.
  4. bowang

bowang Member

Optimus, do you happen to have video show how to check battery status remotely on phone? I think you have advanced prime. I found that feature useful in real life where coworker decide he need charge more than you and plug/unplug yours
    anytime, or faulty charger can get loose when other car pass by causing garage floor to shake.
    Thanks for sharing.

5. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Mine too :), and mine hasn't even come in yet! :cry:

inferno and dalcon95 like this.
  6. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You know how some parents live their sports days through their kids? We do it through those who already have their Primes.

RMB likes this.
  7. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Nice Videos. Why did you change your name to Optimus PRIME, instead of using Cloud9Life here?

8. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Today I checked out the Lane Departure Alert system. I detected my going over the right or left lane lines and Bumpped the Steering Wheel, beeped and displayed in the MID. The Manual says "the system provides assistance as necessary by operating the steering wheel in small amounts for a short period of time to keep the vehicle in its lane." I only felt a slight Bump in the Steering Wheel and NOT every time.

After doing it a few time, I got a MID message "Take a Rest" with a cup of Coffee. LOL !!! It doesn't know I don't drink coffee.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe the car would like a cup.

bowang likes this.
  10. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I mentioned I checked the Pre-Collision Brake Assist function.
    Has anyone checked how well this works, whether on purpose or by accident?
    Did it avoid the collision and totally Brake before contact?

11. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I'm finding the 11.6 display is VERY under-utilized.

It definitely needs more buttons on the left, top and right edges to jump to displays, rather than pressing through displays to get to the desired one. Also, why did Toyota think we needed the GPS always displayed? So the GPS is almost always displaying in the Top of the 11.6 and only the Bottom displays the one display you want.

Why didn't they allow us to Split the display on Top and Bottom or even Top, Middle & Bottom, to see the displays we want? It's only Software.

What will it take to get an UPDATE to the 11.6 functionality ??? Is anyone viewing PriusChat from Engineering?

Tideland Prius likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, but maybe if you notify prius team, they will pass it along.

Wattup likes this.
  13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like feedback for @Prius Team .

Please allow splitscreen capability similar to the 7" versions (where you can choose where to have your nav or radio or climate control).

Yup by accident. It works well (too well).

Was creeping forward, got distracted and was looking out the side window. The "BRAKE" warning came up, I looked forward, got plenty of time to gently brake. But I think because I lift off the accelerator quickly (telling the computer that it might be an emergency brake), the moment I touched the brake pedal, the car clamped down hard on the brakes with plenty of space left. My passengers were not very happy.

It's more aggressive than my Gen 3. My Gen 3 will not brake that hard at that low of a speed.

Although I see you're asking two different questions. You said "PCS Brake Assist function" at the beginning but then say "totally brake before contact" which refers to the PCS Braking function. I did not (and knock on wood, will never activate) PCS Braking on either Gen 3 or Gen 4. What I'm referring to in my reply is PCS Brake Assist.

14. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Tideland Prius,
    Being our Monitor, do you have access to the PriusTeam? I wish they were more active on PriusChat.

I really like the Prime.
    However, the 11.6 seems to have been laid out by the Interns !!!
    Being just Software, I would hope a PodCast could be held to generate Customer design suggestions.

bisco likes this.
  15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Err yes and no.

I mean you can tag them in a post using "@" but they have their regular jobs.

I agree. The 11.6" screen looks like their standard nav software which is probably why you can't move the nav from the top. The top half of the screen is literally just the old software (nav and backup camera). Then there's probably an extra layer that allows the nav to go full screen (as well as the other menus). It *feels* like that anyway and perception is a big deal (esp. those who aren't as techy and just take the screen at face value).

It'll be nice to use the rest of the screen for something else (like multiple cameras on the 2018 Camry).

I know they were deciding whether you use portrait or landscape. Of course landscape would mean a smaller screen since the Prius isn't particularly wide (like a Camry or Avalon). Portrait is good for nav but for most other things, I think landscape is better (e.g. backup camera or splitscreen). However, landscape means it could be a reach for the driver to operate any buttons on the right side of the tablet so there are trade offs with each orientation.

Also, I use the recirc button often (skunk, diesel etc) so if they're gonna bury that in a menu rather than give me a physical button, then I would like them to give me automatic recirculation.

16. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    I miss the emergency "Incoming dust cloud" button on the gen 3.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, i use it all the time. don't know why it isn't standard across the entire toyota line.

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is that the case: to put the system in recirc you need to go to a touch screen, navigate through menus?? All the fourth gen's, or just the Prime?

The lack of ergonomic/tactile heating/ventilating controls, that you can easily/reliably adjust without taking your eyes off the road, is my number one beef. Even with our 3rd gen Touring sans MFD, when we're night driving and the windshield starts fogging up, I'll enlist my copilot as often as not. The controls are pathetic and just getting worse with each generation. :(

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the only buttons i noticed on the advanced were up and down temp.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just the Prime with the 11.6" screen. All others with the 7" screen (including Gen 4s) have a physical button. (albeit on the passenger side)

At least on the Gen 3, we have steering wheel buttons for temp and recirc (and on the Gen 2, add front defroster, rear defroster and Auto A/C on/off buttons).

Mendel Leisk likes this.