1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My first fill up: 57.7mpg

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by SuperGLS, Sep 7, 2013.

1. SuperGLS

SuperGLS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I was trying to make it to 600 miles on the tank but I was hesitant to run out of gas so I decided to play it smart and fill up this morning with 569.0 miles on this (first) tank.

I ran 23.7 miles past the 0 miles until empty indication.

569.0 miles (545.3 at 0 miles until empty)
    9.858 gallons of gas (automatic shut off was in the 9.790 area)
    Cost per gallon: $3.479
    Total cost: $34.30

MPG calculated: 57.7
    MPG displayed: 62.2

The great thing is that I still had two full gallons of gas which means I should be able to get past 600 easily. From there I can push it 640-650.

[​IMG]http://priuschat.com/photos/11274/standalone

2. sisharp

sisharp Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You would have easily made it another 100 miles with your 11.9 gallon tank. Now you know what your mpg offset is, you can subtract a rough difference and know how far you can take your car. I think you were being too careful. Did you even have the fuel warning on?

3. SuperGLS

SuperGLS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, you're right. And now that I'm sure of that I'll be able to make better choices about how far I can go.

The last bar was flashing. Is there a secondary warning after that? I've never been with my wife when she's gone past the 0 miles til empty readout.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Easily? I don't agree, that much would be pushing extremely deep into the safety margin. Be prepared for failure. [WARNING] Running out of gas (Gen III)
    No, that is the last warning before it runs dry.

5. SuperGLS

SuperGLS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks fuzzy.

I certainly don't ever want to run out of gas (a much greater waste of time than visiting the gas station regularly.). However, if there was 2 gallons left and I was getting 57mpg the I should certainly have been able to get another 100 miles. But, at the same time, I don't have the driving style that would get me to the 700 mile mark so I'll just be happy with over 600 each tank.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    seven hundred or bust!:p

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Probably, but how often are you happy to be wrong ? Be careful not to run down the traction battery on an empty tank. That can be painful to your car and your wallet.

600 miles on a tank that reads 55+ mpg on the car meter is safe.

Btw, if your motivation to push the tank towards empty before a fill-up is avoidance of fuel stations, consider this arithmetic:

An extras 10% miles per tank pushes you into the danger zone of running dry. The benefit is one less pit stop every 10 fill-ups. Since 10 fill-ups is about 6000 miles, you are talking about one less pit stop every 3-4 months.

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Possible, yes, but I wouldn't call it certain. Making allowance for variations in fillups, usable portion of the tank, fuel consumption in non-ideal conditions, car-to-car differences, and sloshing and slope effects on the tank, and I can easily imagine running dry in less than another 100 miles.

In the thread linked above, Bob went 122 miles (at 56.6 mpg) past the point where the last bar started flashing, not from DTE = 0. You probably went about 25 miles from the flashing bar to DTE = 0, then another 23.7 miles past that, which is about 49 miles into Bob's distance. That leaves only (122 - 49) = 73 more miles until dry, if your conditions and car are the same as his. Adjusting for your higher displayed MPG, that makes 83 more miles. Then you need to guess whether, on the random variables, you drew a longer straw than Bob, or a shorter straw.

I have gone 90 miles past the flashing bar on mine ... on a very good MPG day, in benign circumstances where failure would not have been painful, and with a spare can of fuel along for the ride. That was far enough for my test and emergency planning purposes.

9. SuperGLS

SuperGLS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Aww man, all you guys with reasonable thinking and math and experience really know how to crush a guy's dream. Hahah.

If my mpg readout is similar at the 540-550 mark on the next tank I'll certainly try for 600. I don't really feel like I need to push it beyond that. But, perhaps after 6 months of driving I'll have a better idea if I want to try for 620-625, etc etc.

Hah, of course I'd love to be there, but I would have to drive much different and I already drive fairly tame anyway.

I should note that I never go into the PWR zone and rarely use the A/C on more than two lines.

Also, any thoughts in how accurate the avg speed is over the course of a tank?

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no way to know because it depends on how many lights and stop signs you hit, etc.

11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

The earlier model Prius have an abundance of "out of gas" indicators including the "Check Engine" light. The driver can use the remaining traction battery energy, typically 1-2 miles, to find a safe place to park or reach a gas station. So when we got our 2010 Prius, I was curious to find out what it told us as I also do gasoline quality studies(*).

The first time I can the tank dry, I was driving at low speeds and hilly street on a downgrade. The "power steering" light came on so I pulled into a parking area by a park just 100 yards ahead and discovered the engine was not running. I had my safety gallon; added it, and; was off. There was no other indication that all gas was burned.

The second time, I was on a 50 mph, limited access, four lane with an access road. Only this time a slight upgrade and again, "power steering" light but what surprised me, no accelerator response. The traction battery showed charge but the car had become an inertial mass . . . just like a stupid, regular gasser. Still, I had enough momentum and no traffic so I coasted to a parking lot and added the safety gallon. But it was clear, the "power steering" light meant the car was power inert.

The third or fourth time, I was using the energy flow display making a turn onto the downgrade, ramp of 70 mph Interstate highway extension, I-565. As I made my turn, I noticed acceleration was weak and looking at the energy flow display, the power arrows had gone away BUT the car was responding to the accelerator. I still had traction battery power!

I put on my flashers and drove 200 yards beyond the end of the on-ramp and pulled safely to the right edge of the shoulder. Standing in the grass, I added the safety gallon and was off.

I contacted Toyota about this change in behavior and was told this is how they designed it. Toyota has turned their backs on an important safety advantage, letting the driver know they are down to limited distance, traction battery power.

As for 'flash' calibration, it typically means our car has 2.1 gallons remaining. However, a high-G turn or slope can induce 'flash' early. So I reset the trip meter when 'flash' starts and then track how much of the 2.1 gallon minimum remains. When down to less than 1 gallon remaining, I put a safety, 1 gallon gas can in the car. This is the most recent tripmeter when the car ran out of gas:
    [​IMG]
    In this case, 2.34 gallons burned before out of gas on July 21, 2013. Only this time, I ran out of gas on a downgrade at a stop-light. I saw the energy flow arrows had gone away.

When the light changed, I drove on traction battery 0.6 miles to a safe neighborhood side street to add the safety gallon:
    [​IMG]

An engineer and private pilot, I want to know the limits. So I have no problem with doing 'the forbidden experiment' with attention to details. It doesn't mean I recommend driving to the limits but knowledge is power and gives me confidence to make the hard choices.

My usual practice is to drive about a gallon into "flash" and typically fill between 10-11 gallons. I don't use the coun-down miles but it appears to be a good metric for those who wish to 'tickle the tiger.' Once it reaches 0 miles, it is time to find a gas station.

Bob Wilson

* - In gasoline studies, I run the tank dry and add a gallon with a known mix. I used this to determine:
    1. E85 - runs but raises a 'harmless' Check Engine light and poor MPG.
    2. E50 - runs without the Check Engine light and not so good MPG.

SuperGLS likes this.
  12. SuperGLS

SuperGLS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the in depth thoughts and explanations.

I definitely don't plan on ever running out and keeping a safety gallon as you call it. I typically only drive to get to somewhere I need to be in a certain time, so even when I leave myself plenty of time to get to work, I don't want to have to pull over and fill up the gas.

Does the Prius stutter like a conventional car when the gas is low? I've run out of gas in other cars before and they've always stuttered.

Based on my numbers above Bob, do you believe I could have reached 600 on this tank?

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Although I've run Prius out of gas over 40 times, I've rarely heard the stutter and I was listening for it. As for feeling it, no. The car smoothly transitions to electric power and continues to run within the traction battery limits. Unless the driver knows to monitor the energy flow arrows, running out of gas is unknown until the traction battery level gets so low that a false "power steering" indicator comes on.

You could have easily reached 600 miles. But I'm also someone who believes in having a safety gallon when running under flash. I know my car and due to ordinary differences during manufacture, there is no assurance your car will behave exactly like mine.

Bob Wilson

14. SuperGLS

SuperGLS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks. And where do you keep your safety gallon?

To protect themselves the manual pretty much says not to carry any extra stuff anywhere in the vehicle at any time!

15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There are two locations:
    • driver side, rear, insert, behind rear wheel - if you have a plastic can that fits in that location, it will hold them upright against turns and bumps. Fold the carpet over to minimize solar heating that can lead to extra pressure in the spare container than needed.
    • behind passenger seat on floor - best with stuff to prevent shifting and a cover to block direct sunlight. Again, solar heating can lead to more pressure in the can than desirable putting pressure on seals, caps and valves.
    I have used both but am partial to the floor behind the passenger seat because it is less exposed to sunlight.

Bob Wilson