1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My first Prius to Prius wave..

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by clintbhs02, May 28, 2007.

1. priusincc

priusincc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There are a few Prii here in town, but have yet to get a wave. Like others have said everyone looks straight ahead. (That's a good thing.) I usually watch and if I'm ever a wavee, I will return.

2. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Platypus @ May 29 2007, 03:56 PM) [snapback]451708[/snapback]</div>
    Um, WHAT???? :huh: :huh: :huh:
    You must be wearing some serious Prius blinders there Platypus.

Sacramento has one of the larger concentrations of Prii in the USA.
    http://www.hybridcars.com/market-dashboard...7-regional.html

I have some serious doubts about the math done which shows Portland, Oregon vastly outpacing all other contenders.

For instance, Sacramento shows as having more registered Prii than Portland, yet Portland has a larger population than Sacramento (city limits or MSA).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unite...s_by_population
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_l...in_the_Americas

If you divide the number of Prii in Portland by the rate of ownership (x/1000), the population of Portland comes out to about 405,000. Um, wrong.

BUT, if you divide the number of Prii in Sacramento by the rate of ownership, Sacramento's population is a whopping 1,345,000 by comparison. :unsure:

OOPS! Someone at R.L. Polk & Company is comparing apples and Sacratomatos. :wacko: :eek:

3. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Left home the other morning... within half a block another Prius gave me a wave, I beeped back, and a guy walking his dog gave us the thumbs up! If Prius-owners all acknowledged each other, it would make tolerating the Prius haters much easier.

4. Miss_Taz

Miss_Taz New Member

I always go out of my way to wave (and sometimes beep) at Prius owners I pass. (And I am one of the folks who do park near others, too...)

I usually wave at other Insight owners, too. But not so much the Camry/Civic/Highlander ones, as by the time I recognize them as Hybrid, they're gone. (They look so much like their non-hybrid counterparts).

I sometimes get a wave back, but not often. I still wave anyway...

5. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We saw two Prii yesterday, in our "little town".
    Waved at one as we went by, got a stony look in return.

Geez, youngun's nowadays...

6. R1200GS

R1200GS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    in the moto community the wave is always talked about. as was said, as the population grows less and less waving. on the Moto, i only wave to those wearing gear (helmet specificly) or those that wave or nod to me. i dont think i'll start initiating waves to other prii owners but i dont mind waving back.

that is of course unless they're wearing a helmet :D

7. gottagetone

gottagetone Member

I live in the Los Angeles area and I've tried to wave or give the peace sign but it seems L.A. Prius owners are either "too cool" to wave back or are busy staring at their MFD's. Kinda sad because I often hear "Angelenos" complain about the lack of community in the L.A. area. What gives? C'mon Angelenos WAVE BACK!!!

8. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It must be all about choices. Some people don't care what choices
    others have made, regardless of what they are. Maybe they figure
    you're waving because you're feeling all good about "hey, check
    this out, I decided to wear *clothes* today!" as opposed to anything
    having to do with the car.
    hypermile naked,
    _H*

9. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here in Tulsa the Prius drivers that I have seen seem to all be doing the look straight forward thing. I have tried a wave a few times with no results. On a related topic. Back when I had my HCH I was at the post office one day and a guy with a new HCH was parked next to me. As I was walking past his car i said in a friendly way, "how do you like your hybrid" He gave me a dirty look, like what kind of trash are you? and proceeded to roll his window up.

So much for trying to start a conversation with another hybrid owner. Think I will stick to this forum where I am among friends. We have had our Prius for a little over three months and I am still amazed by it. Sometimes I just go out and sit in it in the driveway.