1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My First Tank Mileage, Quantity, Gauge Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Susan4ET, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well, I had hoped to at least hit 43 mpg on my first tank of gas, which is the EPA's minimum 'expected range for most drivers' in the city but the real tank mileage turned out to be 39.6 mpg. Kind of disappointing but I'm not surprise since I always fail to get higher mpg in the city then I get on the highway. The EPA's testing is weird. It sure makes Prius looked good though. I'll get my highest mpg when I go on a longer highway trip using the whole tank--maybe next October sometime. :)

Full tank estimate is around 565 miles. Actual miles driven on this first tank was only 380 miles. But it was pretty much all stop and go city driving too.

IF YOU leave the previous tank histories in the computer (I guess you don't clear either Trip A or Trip B (?) then will a full tank of gas show a more realistic range for the car based on how you drive it??? :rolleyes:

So here is the thing I need some confirmation on if it makes sense. I hit the last pip showing an estimate remaining range of 51 miles. This last pip started blinking showing 27 miles left. I reached the station for more gas showing 21 miles left.

From solid to flashing the last pip lasted 24 miles. Is that about right. From pip 4 to 3 I got 57 miles estimated; pip 3 to pip 2 I got 60 miles estimated; pip 2 to pip 1 I got 67 miles estimated; and that left 51 miles estimated remaining in the tank. On this tank I kept trying to figure out how to reset things on the Trips A & B; nor did I track the pips down from 10. I'm going to repeat and track more data next time.

I'm really interested more in accurate miles remaing and not gallons remaining. I think more in miles, not gallons. But it sure would have been nice if right next to the fuel gauge pips it gave a little digital readout of gallons at that point.

I need to convert 21 miles into gallons of fule based on my mpg for that tank of gas to come up with something 'close'. That's 39.6 mpg and 21 miles. That comes out to 1.9 gallons that should be left in the tank when I filled. I added 9.5 gallons. 1.9 + 9.5 = 11.4 gallons. So am I really only 0.5 gallons off? That may not be to bad a figure? Can I account for the missing 0.5 gallons somewhere? Geez, I should be using a Trip mileage indicator and not the 'Range Estimate' miileage! Of course the results might work out worse too. But maybe there is still something else to account for that would make a difference--like 0.5 gallons remaining in the fule lines and filter?

Next... I reset both Trip A and Trip B and verified at the station then drove home 2.1 miles. Both Trips show 2.1 mi then Cons. (Consumed?) 42.7 mpg BUT Trip A shows Avg. (Average) 13 mph and Trip B shows Avg. 9 mph. Why the error? Which one is correct? If I looked after 50 miles would this error have disappeared?

Thanks.

BTW, so far I am tending to ignore the Touch Tracer Display--I glance down at the steering wheel to know what I'm pushing. I need to work harder at using the Touch Tracer.

2. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Maybe I can get away with adding these questions here... I thought that when I was in Power Mode that that section of the Hybrid System Indicator when reached would be in 'white' (very light blue) like as pictured on page 194? I thought I saw this on the dealer test drive? But so far for me even when I select Power instead of Eco this section display that ugly light almost salmon colored red. And that reminds me. I don't like the color. What the heck went wrong with that?

The other thing I noticed. It looks like if you press the Eco button a second time the green 'Eco' main display near the speedometer readout goes out. I suspect at this point that Eco is still running and this is a feature to darken uneeded icons at night?

Lastly, I remember on my old 2007 Prius the Hybrid Battery status would change to light green when fully charged. I liked doing this on long stretches downhill. Likewise it would turn a light purple if it got down to only one bar. Does the 2010 display change colors the same way?

And perhaps more importantly, if you are going up a long steep climb and the hybrid battery shows only one bar are you suppose to do something different or will the car protect itself? For instance should I really be going up the hill at 45 to avoid some trouble instead of 65?

Thanks.

3. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    estimate is estimate.
    None can do accurate display for future driving.
    None know you will drive at 20 mpg or 60 mpg for the rest of miles.

Let's imagine following scenario.

• You saw 60 estimated miles at some point.
    • Let's assume the 60 estimated miles is based on Prius internal data, 2 gallons remained and average 30 mpg.
    • You drove at 20 mpg for the rest of 40 miles trip, then you already consumed 2 gallons and the estimated miles display went to zero.
    • You drove at 60 mpg for the rest of 60 miles trip, then you consumed only 1 gallon and the estimated miles display still shows some numbers (not zero).
    I believe both are correct.
    Trip B: 2.1 miles: 9 mph: elapsed time 840 seconds
    Trip A: 2.1 miles: 13 mph: elapsed time 581.5 seconds

I assume you reset Trip A 258.5 seconds after resetting Trip B.

Ken@Japan

4. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think you missed my thought. If I just finished driving 380 miles on a tank of gas then wouldn't it be a lot closer bet if after refilling that the next tank will be closer to 380 miles then 565? Get it? I know it doesn't work this way now and would require some redesign. I'm just suggesting that 565 miles on a tank of gas is an impractical estimate that I likely will never but rarely even approach. Far more likely to see 400 mile tanks of gas.

On the other Trip mph average. Are you saying that even though the car is stopped when I reset both trip A & B that the clock was running and since I you can't reset both A & B at the same time it produced the different average speeds which includes stop time? If the car wasn't 'Ready' when I reset would the clock have stopped allowing reset to set the clocks equal on both A & B? I'll have to remember to test this next time I reset the trips.

5. lunabelgium

lunabelgium Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Susan,

I think the 1st thing you could do is to read the concerned pages on your owner manual.
    Caution with the reset of the Trip A & B in the various screens.
    2010 don't change colors of the display.
    Every times I fill in the tank I reset only the trip A (1st screen only = Hybrid System Monitor), resetting the trip B for special occasion.

Friendly, Guy

6. ken1784

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know Prius uses what kind of internal data for the estimated miles, but I'm sure Prius is designed for majority drivers, not for only you. :)
    Yes.
    I can reset both trips within 10 seconds period.
    Then, after 1000 seconds or more, we'll see within 1% variance between trip A and B on the average mph numbers.
    I don't know we can reset them outside of 'Ready' mode, and I don't know the time count is advanced or not outside of 'Ready' mode.

Ken@Japan

7. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't think that is really true unless we are all suppose to be hypermilers. I will look forward to a trip one day where I might be able to stretch a tank out toward 500 miles but for a tank average 400 miles is a more likely figure.

Regardless I'm just disappointed the fuel computer that tracks so much can't use the previous history to post a more realistic tank estimate when you refill.

I've read through the manual section on this and that is what partially generated some of these questions. I have flagged the page so I can read through it again and again.

8. drsbm3

drsbm3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a new Gen III, just turned over 1,000 mi. At 202 mi, I re-fueled, which required 4.04 gal= 50mpg. MPG dash gauge read 49mpg. Next trip 320 mi., required 6.4 gal.=50 mpg. Dash gauge read 54.5 mpg. Last fill up 221mi., 4.59 gal=48.1 mpg. Dash gauge was 49.2. This was all city commuting DC area. I did not expect to get this mileage while car is still breaking in. Threads regarding optimizing MPG are very helpful. While I drove conservatively, I did maintain with traffic patterns. Average trip speeds were 26-28 mph.

9. ken1784

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Again, estimate is estimate.
    I don't trust the miles to empty number at all.
    Following is my tank distance numbers except partial refills (only full tank refills).
    tank distance liters
    1 1613.6 km 45.55 L
    2 959.0 km 40.35 L
    3 881.6 km 41.36 L
    4 1015.4 km 40.01 L
    5 1060.2 km 40.73 L

My driving styles are changed tank by tank, therefore none can show my next miles to empty number.

Let me explain how I was doing the first 1613.6 km tank driving.
    My most important number was to know how many liters remained on my tank.
    I knew I had approx 47 L (12.4 gallons) full tank before the drive.
    I knew the Prius MPG number is the most reliable one and it shows approx 6% higher than actual consistently.

After 934.5 km driving, I saw 35.7 km/L was shown on the display.
    My math was 934.5/35.7=26.2 L-used on display and 26.2X1.06=27.7 L-used actual, then 47-27.7=19.3 L-remained.

My target was 1000 miles (1609.4 km) drive by the tank.
    So, my rest of drive had to be...
    rest of distance > 1609.4 - 934.5 = 674.9 km
    required km/L number for the rest > 674.9 / 19.3 = 35.05 km/L-actual or 35.05 X 1.06 = 37.16 km/L-displayed

Then, I managed the km/L number for the rest of driving as 39.6 km/L (above 37.16 km/L target), and I could achieve the 1000 mile a tank result.

Again, no one knows your future driving style (mpg number), therefore no one can show exact miles to empty number.

However, everyone can do a math to know how many gallons of gasoline remained, and everyone can do a math to know how long one can drive to a target distance using one's own mpg target.

Ken@Japan

10. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A

If that's all that disappoints you, you will be happy with your car. I'm averaging just over 42mpg (calculated), but its highly dependent on my drives. If I fill up on Friday night, I am likely to read around 30mpg than 59mpg (which I've seen). So I use the blip indicator. When the bottom blip starts flashing, I have at least 2 gallons left, which is at least 60 miles. I usually fill up then, but know my safe threshold. My fe indicator averages 2.7 gallons high, and wish I could calibrate this. Think of it this way, if you read 43 mpg then you have just under 500 miles to empty. But I feel like these are cosmetic problems that you get used to.

I hope you enjoy your new car
    Ed

11. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am enjoying the car and once I settle into the fuel stuff better I may just leave the estimate 'off' until the gauge gets down to two pips or less.

12. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It doesn't make any sense to me but that's all right for now. For the fun of it I converted the first two in your table from km and l to miles and gallons and then divided to get miles/gallon. The first, if my conversions were correct is rather fantastic at 83.3 m/g. The second came out 55.9 m/g. I think in my old 2007 Prius the best I ever saw over 3 years was a 51.x m/g.

My whole thing about estimates at this point is that if there is no way I can make an estimate useful then I'll ignore it and never use it.

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Google's calculator confirms your calculations. :)
    [ame="http://www.google.com/search?q=45.55+liters+per+1613.6+km+in+mpg&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a"]45.55 liters per 1613.6 km in mpg - Google Search[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.google.com/search?q=40.35+liters+per+959+km+in+mpg&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a"]40.35 liters per 959 km in mpg - Google Search[/ame]

14. prius4driver

prius4driver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Susan, if the ECO light isn't on, you are in Normal driving mode. The Power mode does just that--changes the feel of the accelerator and gets you into the power range faster with the same amount of foot pressure. Many members here say they use it all the time--like the quickness, but if mileage is your goal, ECO is for you! I got my car in November and my hand calculated mileages have been from 44 mpg to about 48 mpg--several gallons below the computer. I live east of Salem--going to town is a drop in altitude, although there is a good hill in between. I set my Trip B indicator back at home. I can get from 55 to 60 mpg going in, but on a good day (no rain or wind and temps over 50) might be lucky to have a 48 to 50 mpg average when I get back home--I have to climb in altitude. I use the pulse and glide driving method as much as possible--drive way ahead as to lights, traffic, etc., and avoid using the brakes if possible. I turn off my cruise control at the top of hills. Temperature and weather conditions make a huge difference. I have about 3400 miles on mine now--look forward to warmer temperatures and better mileage--and more break in miles--to improve the overall mileage. I'm thrilled with what I am getting and love the car!

For info on ECO, see my post here: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...on/74267-please-explain-eco-mode-gen-iii.html

15. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm now on my second tank and early today the pips dropped to 9 and throughout the day's driving of around 40 miles or so I witnessed 8, 9, 10, 8, 10, 9, etc. Forget where it is now. I've got a feeling it may be finished with 10 though. :)

I understand that the gauge is far more accurate and linear then the Gen II. I have heard the fuel sloshing on occasion too. I missed seeing this behavior with the first full tank. The fuel sloshing around may have an odd effect on the fuel probe(s?). A service writer confirmed that the Prius doesn't use the old float type transmitter. I think it does have an effect on the mpg estimate--I saw higher mpg today around 43. I can get use to the behavior too so long as it doesn't happen from 7 pips on down. Maybe when the fuel level in the tank falls enough, even though it still sloshes around it does not hit the top of the tank making the distinct sound nor affect the probe(s?) the same way. Time will tell...

I wonder if different fuel additives will affect the fuel probe(s?) any? Or if the fuel sloshing and banging the top of the tank produces a slight enough pressure change that somehow affects the probe enough to cause a pip fluctuation?

16. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm getting the hang of it, thanks. I guess what puzzled me was when you turn ECO off to normal (no green ECO light) you still get the ECO icon fill in the HSI. I thought it did this so that late at night you wouldn't have to see the green light all the time by the speedometer. If that is a problem I might switch to Normal. I think Toyota could move the green lights from around the speedometer to inside the HSI screen (not now--on another day and time).

It looks like it would be fun to try pulse and glide again since the HSI really helps see what's going on there.

17. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    We are consistently getting between 52 and 59 MPG (on the display) in the warm So. California climate. We seldom do trips less than 10 miles and favor higher mileage over speedier trips.