1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My first time being approached at gas station

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by MPGnutcase, Jun 22, 2013.

1. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ok so I stopped to fill up last night I had a half of tank and the dash says 61.8mpg for the week.
    I pulled next to a 'good old boy' in a Tahoe already pumping gas into it. He yelled over 'Hey I didn't think that car took gas, with a grinn' I told him that I was putting in a half of a tank and it would take me 5 gallions to top off, well the pump popped off at 5.16 gals, so I yelled at him 'Hey I lied it took 5.16 not 5 with a grin by the way he was still pumping as I left) his response was it takes me 5 gallions to start this Tahoe up............. We laughed but his wife was not!! I luv my new Prius. :p

ChipL, Bob G IA and bwilson4web like this.
  2. dannyv11

dannyv11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The subject line made me think it was going to be another here story. To my delight it was way better.

Nothing beats being able to pull up to a pump, completely fill up and leave all while the "guy with the Tahoe" is standing there watching money fly out of his wallet!

SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 ? 2

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Quotes like that come from those who never bother to take even a moment to consider how Prius actually works. They typically dismiss it as small & weak without any other thought.

That's a huge improvement over responses of the past. Back in the early days, over a decade ago, I encountered some people who absolutely freaked out. They honestly believed the government was going to force them to give up their monster-size SUV. It was a genuine fear that resulted in anger and unwilling to listen.

Of course, still to this day, detail isn't being addressed. But at least the general message is getting through. That parting comment of "it takes me 5 gallons to start this Tahoe up" may have made him laugh, but the upset of his wife was confirmation that the choice to guzzle isn't acceptable as it was in the past.

Bob G IA likes this.
  4. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Please note gas here in the Chicago Subs was $4.39 a week ago and has backed off to $3.99 , Wisconsin is at $3.79 at the border and $3.52 as you get a little north. Illinois is now talking about adding another $0.29 cents in gas tax. These guys are killing us I am close to getting out of here and moving South

Merkey likes this.
  5. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I got in an argument with someone in another forum who argued that the Prius' mileage shouldn't be compared with other gasoline powered cars because of the electricity that it uses internally (not talking about a plug-in).
    It all comes from gasoline, folks.

6. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had someone come up to me in a parking lot to ask me what I was getting for mileage. I told somewhere between 43 and 45, depending on how much A/C I need since it's been very warm. He winced and shook his head saying he has a Fusion Hybrid and can't get more than mid-30's. I just smiled as I got in my car.

ChipL and Bob G IA like this.
  7. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My company gives me $200 bucks for gas a month, so I could stick it in the tank and drive whatever but I only put in about $80 +/- month, and I feel good that I am being a little more green these days. :ROFLMAO:

ChipL and JMD like this.
  8. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, Ford's Hybrids Fusion and C-Max are not getting anything close to the window sticker, Hyundai got sued over this problem also.................. I knew what the Prius would do my friend and tax man has 5 in the family and that's all the family drives

ChipL and Bob G IA like this.
  9. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yea come down to the south and pay a Hybrid tax 50$, a property Tax on my car is 300+ a year. Pay 2% on food, 8.25% on everything else.

Merkey likes this.
  10. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

11. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I never heard of a property tax on a car??

12. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    VA, NC and several others tax cars. And as adamace1 pointed out, in NC we pay tax on food at the local and state level depending on the county where you live. What a place o_O

ChipL likes this.
  13. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I was filling with gas and the guy filling next to me in a jeep asked! How far can you go on a fill? I said oh! about 500 miles. He said, Well Hell! I can go that far on a tank in my jeep! I said, Thats great have a nice day!
    I guess it is a jeep thing! :D

milkman44, Chris S and ChipL like this.
  14. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes I've had wranglers in the day but gas was $1.85, Wrangler holds 22gal I think Prius is at 11.9

15. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    '13 Fusion Hybrid is showing about 41 mpg avg over many cars and about 1/2 million miles on fuelly. It's beating the Camry Hybrid on MPGs now. 41 is very good for a car the size of Ford Fusion.

Ford Fusion MPG Reports | Fuelly

16. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I come from a Ford family, but to many recalls lately for me plus the 1.6l ecoboost I would pass on...........

17. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I gave the Ford CMax a chance but couldn't get 40 mpg on my test drive, and it was easy to do when I first test drove the Prius v and Camry Hybrid. I also didn't like the overall look of the CMax, but I know that's a personal subjective decision. I didn't give the Fusion any thought because after deciding the Camry didn't have the utility I needed, I knew the Fusion wouldn't work either. I do like the direction Ford and Toyota have taken and look forward to seeing more hybrids and plug-ins in the future. I just wish one of them would do a great hybrid truck since I'll have to replace our 2007 Chev Avalanche in a few years. Excellent utility but tired of the 16 mpg.

Bob G IA likes this.
  18. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    we had company Avalanche's last year it was a killer to fill up

19. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    One can see why the Prius is a great car for someone who claims mileage as a business tax deduction

image.jpg

20. jsfabb

jsfabb Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I would have said, "For $37?"

Prius_Cub, retired4999 and Chris S like this.