1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My floor jack barely lifted the Prius high enough-What else can I do to lift it higher?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ski.dive, Feb 26, 2023.

1. ski.dive

ski.dive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

My floor jack barely lifted the Prius high enough-
    What else can I do to lift it higher?
    I need more room the get under it.

2. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Build some ramps, these allow me to crawl under, with jack stands for safety. Removable tails for easier storage. Also build some blocking, these are sandwiched 4x6 timbers that I can stack if needed.

Attached Files:

#2 alftoy, Feb 26, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2023
    Montgomery likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Look into 3 ton jacks, they typically have a lot more lift. A fairly typical max, unloaded cradle height is around 19", some are higher, up around 21".

What I've done too, is make some low-rise ramps (3.5" lift), run the wheels up onto them, and then I'm able to fit shims on my jack cradle, gain a bit more lift.

Whatever you're doing, don't compromise safety. Make sure everything's solid/stable. Never get under without safety stands placed and checked.

One trick I follow whenever practical, is to push a squat section of tree trunk under before getting under myself, basically something solid and thicker than me. :)

Montgomery likes this.
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes my 3-ton jack I think it is three and a half ton big red made by a company begins with t torin I think it'll pick the car up about 14 in close to it I usually lift under the center post for the two doors meet and lift up both wheels at the same time so I can rotate the tires boom boom no picking up at four corners that's not needed for this car at least not for me I like the car to teeter totter a little bit on the jack so I can lift up on the wheel I'm working on and bring it closer to my chest if you will.

5. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    My inexpensive 2 ton hydraulic jack just barely works to raise one corner (the hydraulic pressure limit valve stops it from going higher), but I can insert a jack stand so it works. I would spend a bit more for a 3 ton jack if I had a do-over.

JeffD

6. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The jack supplied with the car is only designed to allow one to change a tire. That's it.

If you want to lift the car higher, get a better 2-3 ton floor jack and some decent jack stands to support it.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

xliderider and Montgomery like this.
  7. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Get a better high lift floor jack and jack stands to match. No matter what if you are a big guy its tight. Some places allow diy on their lifts for a reasonable fee.

I have thought about getting a set of Quickjacks which are powered for $1400 and can be stored out of the way.

93BF2AB9-26A1-457D-9E74-47A635B67CAF.jpeg