1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My fluid experience with 3g transaxle.

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by Robotprince, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Robotprince

Robotprince Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hey guys. Have been trying different methods of draining the transaxle after hearing light bearing noise from dirty fluid. 75k no tranny service. I changed the oil twice. (4 quarts twice at cold temp). The first time the transaxle fluid was changed 4.5 quarts came out. They overfilled it from the factory to make sure it survives. This is my reference point. The first two times I only used 4 quarts to clean the tranny out. The final attempt to get rid of the bearing noise, I flushed immediately after a 2 hour drive home. The transaxle was hot and this time, it completely cured the issue. Flush hot !!! Throw a little extra fluid in it and it won't hurt! Thank the lube gods.

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks!

how do you get extra fluid not to come back out the fill hole?

Josem3, edthefox5 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would suggest to fill the transaxle with the car level (and probably raised), add fluid at the fill hole till it starts coming back out. Then reinstall the fill bolt. It should take somewhere between 3.5~3.9 quarts. A funnel and 3~ foot hose extension from above is simplest.

Are you using Toyota ATF WS fluid?

The attachment is Repair Manual instruction for transaxle fluid change, for regular 3rd gen Prius (2010 through 2015), but I think it's 100% applicable to the Prius v, it's the same transaxle.

Can you describe the noise? Is it all the time, or just under certain driving conditions? Has the noise lessened since the fluid changes?

#3 Mendel Leisk, Oct 17, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  4. Robotprince

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    So to be clear. I only use Toyota ws fluid. The noise was faint and was caused by dirty fluid. Sounded like it came from right where the differential is in the transaxle. After a hot flush, the noise ( which sounded like 1 second of catscratch to 0.8 of normal operation to 0.5 second of cat scratch and normal again consistently***) stopped all together. Topped with 4.5 quarts of fresh fluid. I noticed that whenever I go over a heavy bumpy road, the debree that stayed from past dirty fluid knocked itself loose and back into my clean fluid. I guess I have to do a tranny fluid change a 4th time but I might wait it out to knock all contaminates loose first.

I used a hose that had a silicone lip to create an air tight seal in the fill hole to get all 4.5 quarts in. The car feels brand new after 80k miles

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Robotprince

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    A dab of dried silicone or painters tape around the hose. Make sure the tape doesn't fall in your transaxle. Also make sure you're gravity feeding it from the engine bay because air will take time to escape the transaxle as fluid creeps in.. So it takes longer to get the last quart in.

#5 Robotprince, Oct 18, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    bisco likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You've heard a noise. You're convinced yourself that multiple refills, and intentional overfill (4.5 quarts vs Repair Manual spec which is 3.5 qts), are the remedy. You may be onto something, but I can't see why you're putting all your chips on this one square. Too, this amount of overfill may be detrimental.

Tim Jones likes this.
  7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    At 75K miles there's so much caked debris in a G3 axle that when you go over bumps it knocks some of this debris loose.

Only available on this site folks.

Tim Jones likes this.
  8. Robotprince

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hater's gun hate