1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Fuel Gage starting blinking at me!!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by VABeachPrius, Dec 1, 2006.

1. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Slow & Green @ Dec 4 2006, 02:44 AM) [snapback]357273[/snapback]</div>
    My most recent fill up: 430 mile, 44mpg on the MFD, 7.5 gallons into the tank. The bladder is not always constant...

2. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jbarnhart @ Dec 4 2006, 10:35 AM) [snapback]357466[/snapback]</div>
    Pictures! Pictures! :)

In the meantime, our EV is still getting infinite miles to the gallon. 40k miles and we haven't put gas in it yet!

3. popgadget

popgadget Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    How long after the blinking pip on the gas gauge did you get the MFD message?
    I have driven pretty far on a blinking gauge and have never gotten a MFD message.
    After the MFD message, how much farther do you have to go till it quits, or is the message the indication that it is out of fuel?

4. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(popgadget @ Dec 4 2006, 02:47 PM) [snapback]357629[/snapback]</div>
    The MFD message appears momentarily when the warning tone sounds and the last bar starts blinking. It then shows up for only a few seconds every time that you start up the car until you refuel it.

5. popgadget

popgadget Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Dec 4 2006, 05:57 PM) [snapback]357634[/snapback]</div>
    I have never heard a warning tone either, but I have had the last pip blink for quite a distance, but I have never taken more than 9 gallons to fill up.

6. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(popgadget @ Dec 4 2006, 06:02 PM) [snapback]357725[/snapback]</div>
    The tone, an electronic beep, sounds when the last bar starts blinking. It only sounds for a couple of seconds. If your stereo is playing loud, it may not be noticeable. The "Add Fuel" warning makes its cameo appearance in the MFD at the same time.

7. Mozencrath

Mozencrath Junior Member

Man you people who get 65mpg's plus must REALLY piss off other drivers with the way you drive...That is just ridiculous. I live on Long Island and right now I'm driving very conservative (on the verge of pissing people off) and only getting 42 at best....

8. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mozencrath @ Dec 4 2006, 09:04 PM) [snapback]357811[/snapback]</div>
    I'm curious how you know when you're on the *verge* of pissing people off??

I can drive 65mph all day long and get 50+mpg. I haven't seen the finger yet, and I'm passing as many people as are passing me. But I sure don't get 65mpg as I'm on the freeway for every trip (if not on the freeway, I'm on my bicycle!) My guess is that most folks in the hyper-mileage club are NOT driving on high-speed roads regularly. If your commute were on 40mph roads, you'd likely be doing pretty darn well too!

9. bhaynnes

bhaynnes Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Fairly new owner here, I've had mine since early August. My main problem is that I never look at the gas gauge any more. I never even notice it until it starts blinking at me. My previous car, a supercharged buick, demanded that I watch the gas gauge like a hawk.

10. VABeachPrius

VABeachPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Mozencrath,

One person has honked at me in almost 6 months. I refused to speed up for a red light 100 feet ahead on a two lane road. There were no turnoffs and there were two cars stopped at the light which would have prevented him from turning right on red.

I drive by looking forward and also by ocassionally using my rear view mirror to see who is behind me. I don't hold anybody up and I will move out of the way of others.

42 mpg? Are you driving with the parking brake on? Are you driving 80 mph? Do you have a short commute?

11. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VABeachPrius @ Dec 5 2006, 11:04 AM) [snapback]358055[/snapback]</div>
    Good lord, what are you thinking? You consider others around you? Use the mirrors?! You're probably one of those people who takes into account weather and visibility conditions too. What you really need is a bigger, stronger car so you won't care as much if you run over some little economy car or pedestrian that happens to stray in front of your vehicle. :lol:

Or carry bikes on the car? With two bikes strapped to the top of the Prius, I still do better than 42mpg on the freeway - and that's some pretty nasty air resistance that I'm pretty sure the good engineers at Toyota didn't account for. :)

12. berylrb

berylrb Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VABeachPrius @ Dec 1 2006, 09:33 PM) [snapback]356522[/snapback]</div>
    Congratulations! That is way cool. GO FOR 900! I'll mail you $10 towards the tow truck, LOL.

13. berylrb

berylrb Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VABeachPrius @ Dec 6 2006, 01:13 PM) [snapback]358502[/snapback]</div>
    For any newbies or lurkers (sp) on this thread I would like to add that I totally agree with VABeachPrius and darelldd don't let their ... Um ... humor, fool you, the method VAB postulates truly and easily works for the average driver! <berylrb grunts, me too if I'd walk more>

Do you remember Ocean Beach or the Golden Gate frontage roads darrelldd (Great Highway, Lincoln and Fulton)? I've used VABeachPrius techniques and what a kick, if I lived on the beach, and some folks do, it would be so easy to get 60ish mpg (and ride my bike too LOL). I spent all day there once with friends, 3 trips up and down Great Highway & Golden Gate park, what a blast showing them lots of 100's! In my limited experience I found it wasn't that necessary to glide to 25 to maintain that 39 mph 100 mpg stealth mode (sp), that is I was able to maintain 100 mpg light to light at 39 mph. Hey, VAB how many miles do you actually drive above 40 mph on your typical commute?

To me this is the clue to VAB's success, "pick a section of road with a 35-40 mile an hour speed limit with little traffic", eh?

14. VABeachPrius

VABeachPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Berylrb,

There will be no way for 900 until the spring and summer. I will keep that $10 in mind. :D

I am struggling to keep the tank at 66 mpg (yeah, I know boo hoo, cry me a river) with morning temps of 30F. When the car is that cold (my first winter), it feels like I am driving through a couple feet of water.

3.6 mile commute; so taking two weeks of vacation per year, going to work every day during the week, that works out to be about 2000 miles a year, at 40 mpg you fill up every two months.

Maybe I should send you $10 so I could pay for two-three months of your gas bill. :lol:

15. berylrb

berylrb Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VABeachPrius @ Dec 6 2006, 08:24 AM) [snapback]358367[/snapback]</div>
    I wish! I really should change my signature to reflect the short under 2 mile trips. What's killing us is that we are so spoiled (lifestyle decisions, eh?) with buying fresh produce and meat, although we're fish and poultry only. So far in December we've made nine (9) trips of less than 2 miles to either Safeway, Produce Market, or dining out (like I said we're pretty spoiled :rolleyes:), that's 1.5 trips a day under 2 miles. I'm on the road like you said, vacation and business about 3 times a month, which adds about 400 miles, but those are usually 75 mph plus, and I'm still passed a lot! :blink:

Nonetheless, you've inspired me, I'm going to Tulare this Sunday Yahoo says 4.25 hours over 241 miles. I'm in no hurry coming back on Monday, so I'm thinking country roads let the Prius purr see what she can do, LOL.

16. VABeachPrius

VABeachPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    With a warm car, pick a section of road with a 35-40 mile an hour speed limit with little traffic. Accelerate to 35-40 mph with an instantaneous mpg (consumption screen of around 20-25 mpg). Then glide with no arrows until you get to 25 mph. Accelerate up to 35-40 mph and glide down to 20-25 mph. Use a little stealth mode here and there depending upon your road and traffic conditions (i.e trying to stretch a little if there is a red light ahead). If you have to stop, glide for as long as possible (i.e. anticipate early enough so you are going about 10 mph by the time you have to hit your brakes). Try this for 10 minutes; you will see high numbers if the temps are up.

17. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(berylrb @ Dec 6 2006, 08:14 AM) [snapback]358437[/snapback]</div>
    Three words to save you gas, money and wear-and-tear on your car: RIDE YOUR BIKE.

Under two miles? Get some exercise, pollute less. We shouldn't be driving 3,000 pound gasoline cars to drag our sorry butts to the grocery store!

This bit of riteousness has been brought to you through generous contributions by the bike-riding EVnut. :)

18. berylrb

berylrb Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Dec 6 2006, 02:24 PM) [snapback]358557[/snapback]</div>
    Oh EV you're such a Nut! :rolleyes:
    I actually received a compliment last year on my butt, so there!

Seriously, we use Muni and walk quite a bit ... now! But in the recent past, well let's just say these steep hills and below 45 weather were quite an ac-'culture'-ation shock coming from the valley. It takes quite a bit of motivation to ride a bike on these here hills!

But that's another thread.

19. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(berylrb @ Dec 6 2006, 12:14 PM) [snapback]358592[/snapback]</div>
    Heck, I take my bikes into SF so I can ride where it is WARMER! Your 45 is my 30 here in the Sac Valley. Brrr. Honestly though - I totally admit it - riding in SF truly sucks.

That's DEFINTELY for another thread....

20. VABeachPrius

VABeachPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Berylrb,

There is a stretch of about 1.5 miles where sometimes I have to drive at 45-50 mph so that I don't hold up traffic. If there is no traffic, I will drive at a steady 40 mph to let the car warm up. With no traffic, I will glide with no arrows so that I am going about 7ish mph by the time I reach the stop sign. I try not to drive above 40 mph.

If I leave or go to work during rush hour type traffic, my "back roads" commute usually takes me 10-15 minutes longer than taking the freeway. The freeway portion of my commute to work would only be 5 of the 18.9 miles. When traffic is really bad on the freeway, the times are even. There is very little traffic on my typical commute because everyone wants to take the freeway. It is not uncommon to sit in stop in go traffic at the freeway entrance for 10 minutes.

To summarize: P&G, drive like you have no brakes, minimize the green cars on the consumption screen, and try not to overuse the electric only mode as it will hurt your impg values during a pulse, which in turn increases the distance one must glide to acheive higher fuel economy.

A few days ago on my commute to work in 30F weather, I was only able to get 48 mpg. Today at 54F, I averaged 78.9 mpg. :D for warmer weather.