1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Fuel Gage starting blinking at me!!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by VABeachPrius, Dec 1, 2006.

1. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(berylrb @ Dec 6 2006, 02:26 AM) [snapback]358687[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, I know! I use P&G all the time when I can. Trust me on that! Being an EV driver first and foremost, you learn quickly to live by the tricks for max range. There's something about driving an efficient vehicle that prompts you to strive for even MORE efficiency.

My main tricks for max Prius mileage:
    1. Most of my transportation is by bike
    2. Next most is by EV
    3. The Prius is reserved only for those long stretches of driving, and in that way, it is most often "warmed up" and in max efficiency mode. The short trips will kill you.

Oh, and I'm very familiar with roads in and around SF. I grew up in San Rafael, and visit friends and family in SF at least a couple of times/month... in the EV. :)

2. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< I recall a comment some years back regarding MPG's: "If you aren't pleased with your MPG's, lie.!!"

This thread seems to have characteristice of a TROLL.

3. VABeachPrius

VABeachPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Charles,

Your comment about a troll and lying is pretty funny. 70+ posts. Hmmm. ;) ; Maybe if this were my first post.

It is impossible as far as I know to fake the average MPG number on the consumption screen over 800 miles. Do the math. It is very possible to acheive 800+ miles on one tank. I am about to do it for the third time in a row. The intent of the thread was humor in the irony of the fuel gage blinking at 700+ miles.

I grew up believing that envy and/or jealousy are terrible personality flaws. Thank you for pointing out what bitterness does in old age. As my anger subsides for disbelievers like yourself, I will continue to acheive 70+ MPG tanks and be on my merry way. I am more than happy for those that get 30, 40, 50, 60, or more MPG for tank averages. Why is it so hard to believe that 70+ MPG tanks are possible. Do you not recall the Prius marathon in August 2005? 109+ MPG over 1400+ miles.

I simply post pictures like this to show the capabilities of the prius. I am proud of what I have done under the right situations. Since you do not have the same situation as me, I am sorry that you cannot get 800+ miles per tank. There is absolutly NO, "I am better than you", attitude on my part. Aren't my comments and pictures similiar to the 249 replies in the "I beat the epa thread" and the hundreds of posts that say, "Hey, look what I did".

Accusations without merit only make you look foolish. Do you accuse others that do better than you of lying as well? Are you calling the Prius Marathon team liars as well? Have you called the 42ish Japanese prius drivers that have obtained 1000+ mile tanks liars? Does the evidence not speak for itself:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Dec 13 2006, 12:03 PM) [snapback]361560[/snapback]</div>
    Innocent until proven guilty, Charles. And VABeachPrius has shown over and over again that he's no troll.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VABeachPrius @ Dec 14 2006, 07:58 AM) [snapback]362095[/snapback]</div>
    I'm a little late on this thread, but I gotta say, I enjoy seeing what you're doing. Every time I see posts like this I realize I really have to get a job closer to home. 40 miles one-way on the Garden State Parkway is not the way to maximize your MPGs! Of course, it's also pretty hard to find a section of road with a 35-40 mile an hour speed limit with little traffic in the area of NJ that I live, too. But I could definitely be going over 60 if I worked closer to home.

Keep up the good work!!

5. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

If I ever break my streak of recording my fuel receipts and lose traction on knowing every ounce of gas that I've put in the car, I'm going to try the following:

Fuel up, totally sqeeze the tank full to the cap...
    Drive like it was the last gas on earth...
    and try to sneak in about 1/2 to 3/4 gallon from my lawn mower gas can every time I stop in the garage.

I'm wondering if I can do this without tripping the reset on the mfd, and what that will eventually do to the reading on mpg and miles per tank..

By the time I've added 2 or 3 gallons extra without the mfd resetting and having started with the tank full to the cap, I should be able to get 800 miles on a tank.

Would that begin to confuse the computer to think that I've really been getting 75mpg? Or would it read 52mpg, 800 miles... which mathmatically is 15 gallons, which the computer must know is not possible.

Has anyone done such a thing? Or do we have any volunteers? I'd do it, except for my tracking. Maybe one day I'll do it, but make sure to carefully measure in the added fuel gallons so I don't screw up my mpg tracking just to see how it turns out.

6. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Six years ago when I heard stories of people getting 70mpg in an Insight, I asked myself how on earth that is possible. Nowdays, that seems almost effortless on an open road and not speeding. Ditto for the Prius II.

I've known at least one person that fabricated a high-milage run, but he was exposed. VaBeachPrius is publishing his results to a much wider audience (PC, GH, CleanMPG). There are a lot of Prius hypermilers that would call him out if his results were bogus. I've heard of Prius' getting in the 80s on normal commutes - aware it's done at least 110mpg with Teddy Bear and the Prius Marathon.

Daily I take the freeways (85%) from Lewisville to Richardson Texas - 25 miles. When I drove around 65-70mph closer to rush hour traffic, I'd probably get getting 50mpg if that on a Prius. These days leaving earlier and going about 55mph, I might get at least close to 70mpg after knowing the Prius really well.

7. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Chris, you have the block heater, where's that 900 mile tank!?! You did remember to block your grill up too, right? Don't let that warm engine get cold.

Keep posting those tanks, especially in the "I beat the EPA" thread. A couple of years ago nobody would have doubted Rick Reese, Ray Moore or Dan Kroushl.

Wayne

8. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VABeachPrius @ Dec 14 2006, 04:58 AM) [snapback]362095[/snapback]</div>
    I can easily believe that you can get 70+ mpg over extended periods of driving. What's difficult is to see how it can be done in real world driving conditions. I don't remember all of this thread, but do you always drive over 30 miles at a stretch on roads that have no (or at least very slight) inclines and at speeds under 40 mph?

Everytime I turn off the car, and restart it even a few minutes later, the cummulative mileage tends to drop. Now, I have gotten nearly 75 mpg on closed loop driving in my own town (loop of about 5 miles) by warming up the car at least 15 (maybe more) minutes, resetting and driving at least 20 miles (~30 min.) without powering down. This was in summer, and at speeds never above 45 mph, usually 25 mph, stopping only when a red light or stop sign is encountered, etc.

During the same testing, I did get 61 mpg at a round trip of 22 miles at ~55 mph. Again this was after a very long warm up, and the hills were slight.

Admittedly, I wasn't pulsing and gliding at that time. I didn't really understand what it did until later, but it is never practical unless you're doing it in the middle of the night. At least that's true where I've driven.

Dave M.

Dave M.

9. VABeachPrius

VABeachPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ Dec 14 2006, 10:07 AM) [snapback]362124[/snapback]</div>
    Imagine all your driving were under the same conditions as your 5 mile loop.

I have been using a block heater for about one week. I would say that the block heater has raised my first segment average mpg by 10 mpg. Very limited data.

My commute has 2 yield signs, 3 stop signs, and about 35 stoplights and is essentially flat (minimal elevation change). I drive in my neighbohood at 25 mph for about 0.5 miles and then on to a section of road that has a 45 mph speed limit for 1.5 miles. I have to go 50 mph or I will get run over due to traffic (two lanes). From there to work the roads are four or more lanes wide and have speed limits between 25-40 mph. There is one other section near a freeway entrace that I have to drive quickly through or get run over. I also actively get out of the way of others if they are comming up behind me.

With regards to getting extended range driving, I was around 80 mpg over 70 miles yesterday. 8 miles were on the freeway.

Slow down if you can, pump up your tires, pulse and glide, and anticipate traffic. That is all I am doing.

I can easliy glide .2 or more of a mile from 36 to 28 mph, a little ev at the right time (i.e. to squeeze just a little distance when a pulse in untimely) and bam a 100 mpg pulse and glide segment. I have averaged 70+ mpg for a segment when it was 32F outside. I do get screwed by traffic lights sometimes and get a 50 mpg segment here and there, but I practice, practice, practice. I am nowhere near perfect.

When I started the car this morning (I forgot to plug in the block heater, rats) it was 48F outside (warmer than normal. It has been 28F). I started with 604 miles at 70.2 mpg on the MFD. It dropped to 70.0 in a few miles. By the time I got to work it read 623 at 70.3 mpg. A slight improvement, but none the less, it is moving in the right direction. Some days are better than others. It was relatively warm yesterday. Yesterday, I started with 534 miles at 69.3 mpg and ended with 604 miles at 70.2 mpg on the MFD. Like everyone else, I always see a drop in the average MPG when I first start the car.

I am really excited to see what i can do when it is 80F outside versus the 50 F it has been. Temps are forcasted to be in the low 70's. :D

I have only had my car since 1 July 2006. I had a tank that was at 53 mpg. I thought, this is awesome. Since then I have been reading, asking questions, and practicing. I truly have a good route to get good mpg numbers. I cannot do the same if I had to drive 50 miles on the freeway everyday or lived 2 miles from work.

10. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    VaBeachPrius,
    Here are some pics for encouragement. I had the 967 mile tank in 2004 and the 1007 mile tank in 2005. Good luck!
    [attachmentid=5916]
    [attachmentid=5915][attachmentid=5917]

Attached Files:

11. xcel

xcel New Member

Hi Charles:

___I hope you did not intend for that link to be a swipe at VaBeachPrius?

___Daronspicher, keep adding fuel a gallon at a time and you may not reset your tank distance ever! Of course the MFD might show an ungodly number of miles with a 45 mpg average depending on how long an average driver would continue to play that game for? That would be tough to explain away imho. Someone could Photochop the MFD as well but knowing the Prius II is worth around 130 mpg near max, some may know something about the Prius II that others have not yet discovered is all? Just one more example …

[​IMG]

___As this thread is teaching, other past and future threads will also. It will only be a matter of time before most Prius II drivers are taught the techniques to achieve unheard of FE using the built in capabilities of the Prius I and II if any of us hypermilers have anything to say about it ;)

Pulse and Glide plus Warp Stealth in the Prius II for maximum FE.

___Having the right commute speeds, temps, and traffic conditions is also a benefit but at least some of us have the choice to achieve in a Prius II what most would have thought impossible just 2 + years ago thanks to what Krousdb has taught many around the world.

World record distance on a single tank for a Prius II - Japan - July 4 - Aug 16, 2006.

___That distance has been beaten by others in Japan of course but only with their 60L fills (no bladder in the JDM Prius II’s) vs. Teddy-Girl’s 50L fill with much higher FE.

___Having only 6 tanks under 800 miles in the last 100,000 miles between the Accord and Insight shows you how much some of us truly despise gas stations :D

___Good Luck

___Wayne

12. berylrb

berylrb Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Dec 14 2006, 08:30 AM) [snapback]362100[/snapback]</div>
    Ditto VABeach!

I'm incredibly encouraged with your humor attitude and willingness to be realistic. As you've stated at least 4 times in this thread the 35-40 mph route is a major boost in mpg.

I did my stop and go 400 plus round trip over two days and on the return leg had 59 mpg keeping in mind your tips, woo hoo. I pretty much stayed in the slow lane with trucks on the freeway (62-67 mph) and did surface streets when possible. Like one poster said lots of up and down not being a closed loop test. But Dude, if I had a flat 35-40 mph route, watch out VA, I'd give you some friendly competition! LOL

Again, keep up the good work, and thanks for letting us know, I'm inspired!

13. VABeachPrius

VABeachPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    proco, fireengineer, kroudb, xcel, delta flyer,

Thanks for coming back over to join the party.

To all,

For those new or old, please note that xcel and krousdb were part of the prius marathon. For those interested, ask them how they get 70 mpg out of a regular honda civic vx or 66 mpg segments out of a 92 honda accord or 35 mpg out of a Ford Ranger pickup (www.cleanmpg.com). Let their examples show you the true potential of the prius.

My last comment. There are many prius owners; let it be up to the individual if he/she chooses to go the route of a hypermiler rather than raining on the parade of those who make that choice.

Can't we all get along? Here kitty, kitty. ;)

Berylrb,

Congrats. Did you get the taste of high mpg numbers? I would love for others to help inspire me to do better. See the pictures above. I still wonder how the heck you can get 86 mpg over 1000 miles. I am dumbfounded. Get back with me in the summer. Maybe its the 30-50F temperatures. Mabye I am not gliding long enough. Learning; its part of the fun.

14. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VABeachPrius @ Dec 14 2006, 08:17 PM) [snapback]362553[/snapback]</div>

[​IMG]

15. rjmiz

rjmiz New Member

I'm trying for 1000 miles for a tank

Attached Files:

16. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Miz @ Dec 16 2006, 04:01 PM) [snapback]363183[/snapback]</div>
    Ah. the joys of photoshop!

17. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I openly admit that I'm no hypermiler. I try, but I'm just barely above average, as far as I'm concerned.

All the same, under normal driving conditions, here in Chicagoland, with no block heater and without covering my grill (yet), I'm holding on to 50+MPG tanks well into the end of December.

As I drive longer and learn more, my mileage increases. I had five tanks clock at over 60MPG this past summer and I was ecstatic. Next year, I'll have more. VA's right in that every Prius driver should know how to improve their mileage and why it works.

18. kaptaink

kaptaink Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    VA Beach Prius,
    Please let us know how much gas it took to filll it up . . . Thanks

19. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VABeachPrius @ Dec 14 2006, 04:58 AM) [snapback]362095[/snapback]</div>
    Don't take it personally. He has a history of labeling as liars those who report superior MPG to what he has been able to achieve:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ May 10 2006, 03:01 PM) [snapback]253149[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Apr 17 2006, 01:02 PM) [snapback]241074[/snapback]</div>
    [Emphasis added]

20. VABeachPrius

VABeachPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    IsrAmeriPrius,

Thank you for the imformation. I think it was the principal of being inferred to as a liar and troll was what upset me the most. I am long over it. I can joke with those that know the truth.