1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

my gas consumption is getting less

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by scottmd25, Oct 15, 2012.

1. scottmd25

scottmd25 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    earlier this week just like i always do, i topped off my tank and noticed it didnt read the normal 450 mi per tank it always reads. it showed 404. i thought that was strange . now i am moving cross country and have filled up 4 more times, and every time it has been less. went from 404, to 396, to 375 and finally 365. does anyone know what this is or experienced this before. it is a 2012 prius v

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your average mpg has been getting worse it would seem. That tends to happen when the temperature turns colder and winter blend fuel comes online.

3. scottmd25

scottmd25 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    thanks for the reply ,but its not my avg mpg its when i fill up the car the tank isnt reading what it used to a week ago and is reading less after every fill up.

4. DavidK44

DavidK44 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Those numbers are the estimated range, and they're not constant. The car bases those numbers on the average MPG that you've been getting, and so they will change as your MPG changes. As F8L said, the MPG gets worse in winter, and so the calculated range will drop. If you saved your receipts from your fill-ups, you can look at the gallons of gas you put in the car. They probably haven't changed much.

5. skwcrj

skwcrj Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Can you tell us more about this cross country drive? Are you moving from East to West? Climbing more? Are you driving faster than you normally do?

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What were your actual mpgs before and during this trip? These results are used to estimate the remaining tank mileage. Without this information, we cannot say whether or not the pattern you are seeing is an anomaly.

cwerdna likes this.