1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Gas Pips Have Been Falling Fast

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by macmaster05, May 12, 2010.

1. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ever since I got my car back from service at a car shop 3 days ago, my gas pips have been falling fast, getting half the distance I used to. The weather is the same, my commute/miles are the same, my driving habits are the same (hypermiling more or less), and the trip consumption on the MFD is normal. My average is 52.5 MPG. The only thing that's changed was getting my car maintained and they used synthetic motor oil for the first time - but that should make no difference right? Dont know why I'm seeing my pips drop at a 2x rate.

20,000 miles and have never experienced this problem. Its disturbing to be at a point in my commute and see a pip disappear when it usually doesnt, and even worse then find out that I'm actually getting half the distance.

I havent gotten gas yet so I can't tell what the actual mileage is yet, but I cant help but think of the horror stories of people getting 40mpg in their Prius no matter what they try. I dont want my Prius to become one of these. Any ideas? Should I be worried? Thanks.

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Did they reduce the tp? Did they leave the car on while they changed the oil?

3. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Make sure you check the engine oil level via dipstick! Many places overfill the prius engine by 1/2 qt or more, and this is done even at the dealers. If over the full mark, drain some out until it's about 1/8 inch under full mark. BTW this condition can also cause MAF sensor to get fouled and requires throttle body cleaning once this happens.

4. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I checked the engine oil level and low and behold, it is about 1/4" above the full mark (the 2nd dot). I also checked my invoice and they used 4 quarts of Synthetic W530.

The question now is, how bad is this? Should I go back there and complain? How do I drain it? Is my car screwed forever? Thanks.

5. chuckknight

chuckknight New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, your car is now dead. Your only recourse is to sell it for me, for a salvage value of $200.

Expect my check in the mail.

6. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok I will cash your check but you'll never see my car.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it used to be that overfilling the oil would put more pressure on the valve seals. i can't believe it's a huge deal on the pri. what does the manual say?

8. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok, so I checked the engine oil again, just in case I needed to wait for the car to warm down. It is still 1/4" too high BUT that is when I push the dipstick down all the way, ie when the yellow circular handle is as far down as it can go.

HOWEVER, If I push it down until it just gives me a bit of resistence, but the bottom of the yellow rubber handle is still out, I get 1/4" underfill. Which measurement do I go by? Maybe the mechanics didnt push the dipstick down all the way when they checked? Any thoughts?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nothing to think about, push it in all the way. the 'mechanics' i.e. grease monkeys, don't check it, they just pour in the oil and shove it out the door. you're lucky they put any oil in at all!

10. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok push it down all the way until it clicks, then pull out and read. Overfilling the prius ice with oil will cause #1>reduced gas mileage #2>oil vapor getting into intake/throttle body via vacuum lines especially when cold starting, but this is also has cumulative effect over time. If you have no warning lights like check eng. etc. Just drain some oil out of ice until it reads abt 1/8inch below full dot. Until you get it below full don't over rev the engine either, like highway at 80mph etc etc. Don't feel bad, even the toyota dealer overfills these. Go figure. Anyway you can drain some oil out by 2 ways #1 use a 3/8 tube like fishtank air hose and stick it down the dipstick tube and literally siphon some out into a jar, or #2 have drain pan under engine and remove the drain nut from oil pan and let some come out into the pan. Be careful! you only need to drain a little, and keep reading the dipstick to see when it's correct.

11. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Unfortunately I've already driven 100 miles with my car (all highway) since I got the oil changed. How bad is that?

Thanks also for telling me how to drain the oil. I dont have an airhose or tubing right now, so before I try that I'll go back to the mechanic first thing in the morning and see if they fix it for free, which they should.

12. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes they should be able to do that for you no problem. And as long as you don't have any errors or warning lights, you're ok. Just take it easy with ice rpm until you get it drained and you'll be fine. BTW I learned all this the hard way..and from the dealer doing it!

13. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. What tipped me off was the unusually lower gas mileage, which is a bit concerning since that may be a symptom of bigger problems such as a damaged throttle. Should I ask them to look at that too?

Also, is it better to ask them to drain the oil completely and refill it? Or just drain some so its in between add-->full?

14. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No just have them drain a little out so it reads correctly on dip stick. It is new oil so don't waste it. And no I would not think anything else is wrong. Your mileage should come back up after oil level is correct within a few miles. BTW the sweet spot is somewhere between 3/4 full and full. Good luck

15. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Idea* You could bring a clean jar and have them drain it into that, then you have oil for the lawn mower too.

16. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Always, always, always, check the oil level yourself before driving away from every oil change. Anyone can make a mistake; checking it yourself can prevent an annoyance from becoming expensive.

Foolproof method of preventing overfills: buy three quart bottles of 5W-30 oil. Hand them to the oil change person. Tell them to use only that. Tell them that you will check the level yourself before you leave, and then do it. Halfway between the lower ("ADD") and upper ("FULL") marks is fine. (The upper mark really does mean "FULL", as in, "DON'T ADD ANY MORE". It does not mean "PERFECT".)

And check the tire pressures. Some shops love to let air out.

And finally: never mind how fast the pips are falling, because that could be a function of how stiff or folded-up the bladder was the last time you bought gas. What does the MPG meter say?

17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is also where one finds an oil cap not replaced, and any tools left on the engine.

Had I discovered things in that order, I probably would have kept the tools. It wasn't like I was ever going use that shop again.

18. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'll tell you guys what happens after I take my car back in tomorrow. I'm expecting dirty looks. I will always check the engine oil level myself from now on.

19. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah they probably will think you are being a bit over pedantic or a nuisance. (No offence intended, that's just what I expect the service guys will think). Anyway I'd be interested to hear what their reaction is so make sure you let us all know. :)

BTW. It's really common to have them overfill by about 1/4". It's happened to me and lots of others here. I've literally seen dozens of people posting about this exact same thing here.

Anyway it is true that overfilling is bad and that if you go too much (overfull) then it can start to block the engines breathing (crankcase ventilation) which can cause the negative effects mentioned above by others. But 1/4" overfill is apparently only about an extra cup of oil and is not really very likely to cause any trouble. Last time I got a service they overfilled mine by 1/4" and I didn’t even bother draining it. I’ve put 8000 km on that oil since then and it's still 1/8" over, but no problems have arisen. Next time however I'll be doing my own oil change and I certainly won't be overfilling it.

20. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just got back from the mechanics and they drained it a bit. Very understanding, they seemed A LOT nicer than on monday morning when I got the car serviced. Probably because it was monday morning. The owner took a look at it and indeed it showed about 1/4" over. He said the probably wouldn't hurt the car but they have a high standard so of course they would fix it. Originally he said they have to drain it completely because it's too messy to try to drain a little. Told me they would take care of it right away and it'd only take 30 minutes.

When it was done they told me they just pumped some out. They gladly showed me the oil level after it was all done, and the result was about 1/7" below the full mark.

My car ran smoother on my way to work and no drop in pips yet, unlike before. The owner told me to call him eventually and tell him what its done for my mileage - he'd like to know. Thanks everyone.

Funny thing is both the mechanics were chastising the guy who originally put too much oil in my car. They said he'd get a beating and "clearly needs to go back to school." Not joking lol.