1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Genuine Toyota Signal Mirrors Are Installed!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by naterprius, Apr 14, 2005.

1. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Look at all the Prius accessories in Japan. Someone should make it a business to import those from Japan (cerified them with US, of course) and do service to this Prius community. I would be a customer first.
    - backview camera
    - signal side mirror
    - metal plates and decals

Check this out.
    http://toyota.jp/prius/dop/index.html

Browse the left column options if you haven't visited this site before. (note: 1$ =~ 100 yen)

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We need that 110V outlet.

Coastal's Video controller + that 110V outlet = PS2 on the go :p

3. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I took the pins out of the connector and relocated them to work on the right hand mirror. After grounding and powering the module (and sending power to the "reverse" wire) the module clicks and the mirror controls are now locked out, but the mirror doesn't move. I think the module can be turned on and off by holding down the down button while in reverse and off by holding the up button. I'll have to look into this.

I don't think this will be a problem to get this working, but be warned, the pins are all wrong for the USA (it's not even wired properly for the LH mirror right out of the box).

Pics and tips to follow for any other buyers in the USA.

Be warned, I don't yet have this working, so perhaps waiting on this would be prudent.

I think I paid over $110 for this module, but I combined the shipping and the friend's patience so I don't know what it takes to get it to the USA.

Just a note, this installation looks to be very easy on the USA model (once the pins are rearranged). Some of the wiring is swapped side to side, but other wiring is not, so I think the whole thing could be done under the driver's kick panel, pulling reverse from the NAV wire (if you have NAV). Keep in mind I don't have this working yet, so who knows for sure.

Nate

4. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I kind knew the auto tilt is sort a problem.
    I hope you got translated instruction. Since internet conncetion is bad in China.
    But mirror looks great :mrgreen:
    Your the only few lucky people to have the sea side pearl/w turn siganl mirror :mrgreen:

5. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Thanks again Speedracer! I think I'm very close on the auto-tilt. The wiring diagram is very good; I will try again soon. Yes, I am very lucky; lucky to have a friend like you!

Nate

6. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ceric\";p=\"82255)</div>
    I could get pre much anything but to get any ceirtified is really difficultl.
    Its besically DIY or own risk.
    Also, shipping and custom is another problem. I have now good conncetion with a shipper/distributer so I can send good to U.S
    However custom is always problem.
    I can get mirror housing with turn signal, decals, lowing spring and so on but no spoilers or other because too expesive to ship and too much risk.
    Also you more likely to pay duty/custom.

7. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Oh, don't bother with the outlet . It's 100 Volts, not 110. (Japan is lower). I think it's 50 Hz too, so there's no way. Go for an aftermarket solution instead.

Nate

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  9. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Just a note, I realized the reason the mirrors are skewed is because they are mounted at different angles. You can tell if you stand directly in front of the car. Some people may find this objectionable on their US model.

Nate

10. reesdude

reesdude New Member

nater, how much did you get ur mirrors for?

11. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, that settles it, I am ordering the mirrors for my '05 Tidelands package 6 car. I want to know more about the auto-tilt reverse feature, I had that on my last car and really liked it. Who sells it and how much? Is it also a Japan only item? Thanks, Cairo94507

Man if they can do that, why can't they made a part to disable the nav/phone lockout when driving! That makes me crazy.

12. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    For those of you who keep asking, I paid $467 for the mirrors and tilt module delivered. I don't know the actual breakdown of each part.

Also, I wanted to remind people wanting to do this mod that you need to run wires down through the doors, through the flex tube, and back up under the dash. You will also have to lay out another $100 or so for four connectors and eight pins, then solder these onto the wires, then plug them into the mirrors and included harness.

Either that, or you will have to cut the wires on the mirrors and on the harness and come up with your own splicing solution (aftermarket connectors, crimping, soldering, whatever).

In addition, I compensated for some of the skew by purchasing three 1/4 inch thick nylon spacers from lowe's which I then had to buzz down (the girth, not the thickness) with a grinder to fit behind the mirror motor assembly. This effectively moved the glass (and motor assembly) 1/4 inch out and made the view a bit more satisfactory.

A new little quirk, the flashing is a bit out of sync with the rest of the turn signals. I realized why: LED's light up and go dark immediately relative to power being supplied and cut, whereas light bulbs have a delay before lighting and a delay before going dark. It's not enough to not want the signal mirrors, though!

So, to recap, the quirks are:

1. Mounting angle is more acute on right side than left. Somewhat pronounced if you pay attention. I suspect it won't bother most people, but since I'm tall, I used 1/4" nylon spacers from Lowe's to push the motor assembly further out of the housing.

2. The wiring is not there in the doors. You will have to solder and splice wiring and run it deep inside the door. This isn't that easy, I recommend some wire lube for this. If you want factory equivalent wiring, you'll need over $100 worth of connectors and pins, and you'll have to solder.

3. The LED's are not super bright. Still visible in full sun, but not impressive.

4. LED's light up and go dark a bit quicker than bulbs, and are just a hair out of sync with the regular bulbs. Not enough to get fussy about, but not perfect. (Replacing all T/S bulbs with LED's may solve this problem.

5. The new mirrors make the car almost 2 inches wider. Be prepared if you have a really tight garage or something.

6. The changeover is very tedious, the mirror is almost completely disassembled and reassembled. It takes time, and be careful. Be especially careful removing the pins for the mirror heater.

I'm not trying to make this harder than it needs to be, but I want to give you fair warning.

Nate

13. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Would you mind providing the how-to prior to getting the mirrors? I may be interested in this, but the proper alignment of money, doability, and time need to occur first. Having the how-to would be nice for determining the doability.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius\";p=\"82259)</div>
    Wouldn't it be more efficient and easier to buy/make a PS2 to car cigarette lighter DC adapter? Actually, I forget whether the PS2 has an external AC adapter or if it's internal and has the adapter built into the unit. If it's the latter, then an cigarette lighter inverter would be the easy way to do it.

14. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can get it, so let me know. For price I'm visiting U.S and I don't have price sheet with me.

15. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Just a final note on the mirrors, since the doors have no wiring for the turn signals, I had to run two wires to each mirror inside the door, through the boot, and out under the kick panel. The wires also had to be secured inside the door to avoid interference with the window. This was not easy. I suggest that you do this as a first step if you are considering this mod. A very thin gauge is all that's needed since the power for LED's is very low (20 gauge is what I used).

Nate

16. bobc

bobc New Member

Following up on Nate's last post, an easy way to run wires through the rubber boot from the door to the kick panel in the car is to buy some 24" long zip ties. These can be had at Pep Boys or Home Depot. Use these to fish the wires through. Much better than a straightened coat hanger which can do damage to other wires or the rubber boot.

As for tying wires down inside the door so that they are out of the way of the window: Pick up some of those plastic squares with adhesive backing made for anchoring zip ties. Jon, at PriusXM, uses one in his video to keep the XM wire in place behind the right-hand side vent. I think he calls it a 'doo-dad.' Stick these on the inside of the door panel and zip tie the wires to them to keep them out of the window's way.

17. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Good tip. I would cut the end off of the zip tie before fishing it through, though. Also, I used wire lube I bought at home depot to make it happen. The number of wires in the driver's door are just astounding. To make it easier, unplug the harness under the kick panel, and pull the boot out of both the door and the door jam. Run the wires from the door side of the boot TO the jam side. (Small hole to big hole). If you use a wire tie, securely fasten (electrical tape) and LUBE the tape with wire lube, then use the tie as a "fish tape."

The driver's side has way more wires to deal with. Heated mirrors, the lock switch, seperate tweeter wires, the SKS, the mirror and extra window controls all make the driver's side that much harder than the passenger side.

I personally used wire ties to tie the new pair of wires to the existing harness at several places. (Cut off to avoid interference with the window).

I wish I had pictures, but it was impossible to get the camera angles that showed anything useful.

Nate

18. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Just a note on these mirrors, I lost my how-to photos when my hard drive crashed.

If someone does buy these mirrors and wants to install them, just follow the japanese pictures carefully; you can skip the part about removing the motor assemblies from the pivot assembly, but pretty much everything else is required.

Here are a few tips that will not make sense without the instructions:

-Remove the electrical tape holding the wiring to the large mirror grommet. You can't slide the harness through otherwise. (Retape it when you are done)

-You WILL have to remove the outer "shell" from the power mirror connector. Use two very tiny flathead screwdrivers or scribes (like a dentist pick, available at Sears or other places). Save this piece, you will need it later to plug everything back in.

-If you are all done and they don't light up, reverse two of the wires. The lights are LEDs, so they must have the right polarity in order to work.

-The wiring to tap into is located behind a metal panel on the driver's side on the left. (Take the lower dash panel off, then remove the metal panel (three nuts). There are three wires; I will help identify them for you when you get that point. (This picture I took sucked anyway).

Nate

19. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Something tells me that if I decide to put these on my car a trip to Colorado may be in order... :)

20. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Would it be easier to buy the parts from a European Prius (not UK) which has left-handed driver's setup already?

Or is it because the backup mirror option is only Japanese?