1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My headlights don't shut off

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AlphaTeam, Aug 24, 2006.

1. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It has happened twice, that I know of, where when I get out of the car the headlights don't shut off. If I open the door and reclose it they shut off. I have them turned on on the stalk all the time. What would make them not shut off? THe car is off and I can lock the door with the little rubber square thing on the door handle.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That shouldn't happen. It's either it goes off when the door is open or if you turned it on after you shut off, it won't go off even if you close the door afterwards.

Check to see that the rubber plug on the b-pillar/door frame isn't sticking. It's the one where if you press it, the door ajar light goes off and the interior lights go off.

3. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just a thought; don't know if it makes a difference... Did you open the door before you turned off the car?

4. narussian

narussian New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AlphaTeam @ Aug 24 2006, 03:53 PM) [snapback]309000[/snapback]</div>
    Doesn't that use more electricity than if you turn them off during the day? I know having them on dims the MFD screen (unless you override into day mode) so I just assummed it was an electricity thing. I suppose the dimming of the MFD screen is also more condusive to nighttime conditions.

Ok, So I think I just asnwered my own question.

5. Lola&#39;05

Lola&#39;05 New Member

Thought I read here that you should turn off the lights to save the battery power. Am I wrong?

6. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Never had the problem, the only time mine have been turned off at the stem is when I use valet parking. They don't know that they fo foo when the door is opened.

If the problem persists you should take to a dealer.

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    well, if they don't go off when you open the door... something's up. the only way to trick it into leaving the lights on is to leave the car on, roll down the window, exit the car, shut the door, then turn off the car.

8. carlisle

carlisle New Member

If you happen to have an auto door lock system that could also be messing up with your headlights. Also check for a possible bad realy.

9. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I do have the auto lock mod. But the car is off that point. I don't understand how the lock would effect the lights.

And....maybe I did open the door before I shut the car off. I kind of do it all quickly. There have been a few time where I punched the power button a little quickly and the car didn't shut off and I had to do it again. It is possible that I didn't shut it off, tried to get out and then hit the power button again....I'll test that theory.

As for saving power....I don't think it really uses that much that it would make a difference. Even if it did the safety of having the lights on outweighs the minor power consumption of the headlights while in motion.

10. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think if I remember correctly this happened to me a while back. I think I opened the door then I turned off the car and the lights stayed on. If you turn the car off then open the door they should turn off. I don't leave mine on all the time so i'm not to sure on this. I will have to check it out when I get home.

11. narussian

narussian New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AlphaTeam @ Aug 25 2006, 09:56 AM) [snapback]309270[/snapback]</div>
    Ok, but how can you see the MFD screen during the day as it is dimmed when the headlights are on? I can barely see mine unless I turn the headlights off. In fact, that is how i am reminded to turn them off every morning, when I can't see the screen.

12. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(narussian @ Aug 29 2006, 08:42 PM) [snapback]311442[/snapback]</div>
    Roll the interior light-brightness wheel (in the dash to the left of the steering wheel in the US) all the way to the top, until it sort of clicks. This locks the interior displays and MFD on full bright.

13. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Just making sure . . . we are talking DRIVER DOOR . . . yes? :huh:

Opening any other door will not turn off the headlights – only the driver door.

I also leave my headlight stalk switch on 99% of the time for daytime safety lights . . . and thusly, I have learned some hard lessons on proper Prius operating etiquette.

1) If you cycle the power button ( into either READY or IG-ON mode ) while the driver door is open, the lights will not go out if you power off the car while the driver door is still open. Even if you close and reopen the driver door after the fact, this too will not work.

2) Entering the car from the passenger door, then cycling the power button . . . the headlights will not automatically go off. I found this one out on a trip and using a 12 volt adapter to place a cell phone call with a weak battery. Luckily someone alerted me several minutes later.

I wonder how many people have drained their 12 volt battery this way? I have come close several times. Thankfully, the Prius only needs enough 12 volt juice to power up the computers, not crank over an engine. :)

14. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes the driver door....ok that must have been it.
    Thanks guys